It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
(female)

Swtkoolaid HB User
Angelia hot, dazed, confused and i miss my hair!

So here goes nothing....I have been in meno since about the age of 35 (full blown) after many rounds of chemo. I was never on any HRT or Birth control, just been flashing and moody ever since. Nobody really took the time to talk to me about all the "bad" side affects, bone loss, ect.... nor did I really give it any thought. My mind was set on getting well from cancer. Today I had a nice long talk with a new gyno in which she told me that damage from not having any estrogen has already started. Its been 10 years. So she talked to me about HRT and said that I would feel much better and that I need to consider this because of bone loss, hot flashes and generally feeling like crap these last 10 years. She said that I would feel better and that yes there are the pros and cons to any medication that I would have to decide if its what I want or need at this point. She put me on Angelia. I'm now worried because for the last few years due to thyroid problems (hosimotos) I've been losing hair, which coupled with menopause has made it worse. I looked up the side affects of Angelia and its "hair loss"! ugh! But my gyno said this should help the hair loss as it will block my T levels which are high because I have no E levels - does this make sense? Anyway has anyone tried this HRT, side affects, like it, not like it.... I'm needing some guidance! Help please!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User
Re: Angelia hot, dazed, confused and i miss my hair!

Hi Swtkoolaid,

Welcome to the boards!

So sorry to hear about your cancer, hope you are feeling better.

I don't know that much about HRT therapy or the drug Angelia. I think we just reach a point where we have to do what we need to do to make us have some quality of life during this rough time in our lives.

The hair loss, yes I have it to. Things have so improved these days that there are options of extensions, wigs, etc. The wigs these days don't look like the old day wigs, sometimes it's really hard to tell you even have one on. Perhaps a trip to a salon for a consultation might help with your decision.

Just some thoughts.

Take care and I hope you feel better and find the answers you seek on these boards.

Missy

Old 11-18-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
(female)

JustHormonious HB User

Hi swtkoolaid,

If you don't mind me asking, what type of cancer did you have? I am not a doctor but I have been studying hormones for about 10 years now, due to having a hormone imbalance myself at the age of 37.

Have you considered something natural in place of synthetic? I have been fortunate and have corrected and been able to maintain balanced hormones through a very strict but healthy diet.

I do understand that your circumstances are very different than mine and would really like to hear more, if your willing to share. If you are feeling uneasy get a second opinion. The HRT medicine is something that needs to be monitored closely. I will say, I am very surprised you were given this medication.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
(female)

Swtkoolaid HB User

Hi Missy,

Thanks for replying to my post... ya wigs have come a long long way since back in my mama's days I have the best beautician ever - he helped me out with my hair loss when I had cancer - he owns a wig shop as well. He was my angel through some tough times. I still have hair, but its thinning BAD! However, I've been reading and reading and studying and I do believe a lot of my side affects are not as much hormonal (even though yes they are playing a part) but I think its more my thyroid and that dam Snythroid they have me on. I have been meno for 10 years since the chemo, but just recently started losing the hair when they upped my meds for my thyroid so I'm starting to put two and two together! I will be reading more and figuring out where I go from here.... again thanks for coming by I really appreciate it... Say well and I hope you are doing okay

Old 11-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
(female)

Swtkoolaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustHormonious View Post
Hi swtkoolaid,

If you don't mind me asking, what type of cancer did you have? I am not a doctor but I have been studying hormones for about 10 years now, due to having a hormone imbalance myself at the age of 37.

Have you considered something natural in place of synthetic? I have been fortunate and have corrected and been able to maintain balanced hormones through a very strict but healthy diet.

I do understand that your circumstances are very different than mine and would really like to hear more, if your willing to share. If you are feeling uneasy get a second opinion. The HRT medicine is something that needs to be monitored closely. I will say, I am very surprised you were given this medication.
Hi Just, I had Hodgkins Stage4 and went 8 months once a week for chemo (no radiation)... it went well thank the Lord! Remission for 10 years. I have been diagnosed with Hypo Thyroid along with Hoshimotos and am taking 100 mg of Synthroid. The more I keep researching the more I'm convinced that yes hormones are playing a role in whats going on, hair loss, moods, aches, pains ect...but that the Synthroid is playing a bigger part in my feeling like crap in all areas! I'm not going to take the HRT yet, as I want to get my thyroid balanced and maybe try something different then the Synthroid. My doc about 3 months ago upped my meds which threw me into Hyper state and that is when I started to feel awful and all the effects started, hairloss (lots) all the aches, pains you name it. I have also in the past couple of weeks have had trouble breathing, out of breath and can barely walk up a flight of stairs, scared me so bad I thought my hodgkins had returned and attacked my lungs, but so far all tests for hodgkins have come back negative ~ chest pains, irregular heart beats ect.. are all part of taking Synthroid... I'm thinking this is an evil drug! But I will keep plugging away until I get some answers... I'd like to hear more about your knowledge on hormones and doing things the natural way - at this point I'm willing to try just about anything Thanks for coming by and I'm looking forward to hearing from you again... take care and healthy vibes your way!

Old 11-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
(female)

JustHormonious HB User

Good Afternoon swtkoolaid,

It's nice to hear back from you. How long have you had hashimoto's? My guess is you were diagnosed with this not long after your chemo treatments. It has been written that having chemo does not affect the thyroid, but I have read many reports of this happening.

What is the main staple of your diet? Off the top of my head, one of the best books I've read on feeding your hormones is The Perfect 10 Diet by Dr. Michael Aziz. This book covers the 10 key hormones and how to feed them properly. A very good book.

I would also recommend incorporating flaxseed oil and fresh ground flaxseed to your diet if you are not already doing so. I buy fresh cold pressed flaxseed oil and mix it with organic lowfat cottage cheese. This can also be mixed with Greek yogurt, this yogurt has about half of the sodium of the cottage cheese.

The omega 3, 6, 9, fats are the most important for your diet. All of your hormones need these to be healthy. A good fish oil is also very healthy for your diet. I rotate these two oils. One day flaxseed oil and one day fish oil. They don't taste great but the health benefits are endless.

Do you take any supplements, prescription or over the counter? I'm sorry that I'm asking so many questions but low vitamin levels can cause a lot of your symptoms as well. Unfortunately, the current RDA's for vitamins do not meet everyone's needs.

Just one example: The current RDA of vitamin D for women under the age of 50 is 200IU a day. Over the age of 50 is 400IU. I have to take 10,000IU a day to maintain a healthy level, I am 47 years old.

I would love to continue talking with you, and look forward to your response.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
(female)

Swtkoolaid HB User

Hi,

I was actually just diagnosed with Hoshimotos about 3 weeks ago, he was the doctor who discovered that I was being over dosed with Synthroid and lowered it. But same ol' symptoms so I took it upon myself to cut that dose in half. I'll see if I feel better by next appt. Thanks for all the insight on the vitamins. I've just started a routine of Fish Oil, Mag, Calcium and CoQ10. I use to take the flax seed and put it in my yogurt, not sure why I have not continued. Oh I know why I can never stay with one thing for too long, but I NEED TO I know that the benefits are worth it! I also take Maitake Mushrooms.. I took this when I found out I had Hodgkins. They say it is the wonder medicine for reducing tumor and preventing cancer....not sure if it works or not, but who cares, these mushrooms are good for you regardless! Actually, it took forever for my hair to fall out when I was undergoing Chemo and taking the mushrooms, I only had 3 cycles left before I had to finally put the wig on. They say the mushrooms help with the side affects of chemo. Was it the mushrooms, not sure, but they say it helps with hair loss...so I've been taking them again hoping it will help with some of my symptoms. Dr. Weil speaks highly of medicinal mushrooms. I've been trying to eat organic as well so I'm going to try the flax with the organic cottage cheese, actually sounds good for breakfast If you have any other suggestions I would love to hear them. Or even some of the things you are battling with. I think that we all can learn a lot from each other... thanks so much again for stopping by

Old 11-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
(female)

JustHormonious HB User

Hi swtkoolaid,

There is another mushroom called the Siberian Chaga that is supposed to be very good for the immune system as well. It's expensive to buy of course. Chaga does grow in the northern United States. I am trying to convince my husband to go on a hunt with me, but he won't. I think it can be found in Wisconsin which is not far from where we live.

For me, my hormone related issues were 3 years of being plagued with, hot flashes, night sweats, no sleep, breast and ovarian cysts, thinning hair, and a very mooooody lady.

Every time I was at the doctors office they wanted to put me on birth control pills and antidepressants, no thank you.. I started a journal to figure out what my body was reacting to. What I found out, my body does not like caffeine or refined sugar(my two best friends). Whenever I would indulge, I would have a reaction. Usually in the form of cysts, always 2 on my left ovary and in bunches of 3 in my left breast. Never on my right side, I have yet to figure that one out.

Over the past 10 years I have become my own doctor, my own experiment. I go to my doctor for 2 things only, a pap test and blood tests twice a year. I change my diet regularly but always keep my fat intake close to 40% of my daily calories. I feel best at this level and have not gained weight.

I also use supplements: raw calcium, raw vitamin D, B12 and adrenal support. Last month I decided to try a natural progesterone cream made by Dr. Kim. The reason I made this decision was because my breasts were remaining sore all the time, this tells me my estrogen levels are too high.

After using the cream for about 5 to 7 days, I was a new me - the old me that I had apparently forgotten about. I was very pleasantly surprised by the difference in how I felt. I would have told you 2 months ago that I felt great, because I did. What I didn't know at the time was, I could feel better than great. Will this cream work for everyone, probably not, everyone is different, but I will continue using it as long as I get results.

Very much like you, when trying new things I tend to measure results by how I'm feeling and if something doesn't add value to my health, I stop using it. Right now I eat a diet that's 80% raw, I eat some animals products and steam a few veggie's. Lot's of filtered water with fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice is good throughout the day. Two meals a day, no snacks, keeps me running at optimal levels.

I agree that we all can learn from each other. I hope to talk again soon...

Old 11-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #9
(female)

Swtkoolaid HB User

Hiya,

You always have some great ideas... I'm going on the hunt for those mushrooms. I'm convinced that the one thing that has "real" medicinal benefits are the not so loved mushrooms. Its the lonely vegie, guess thats why they call it a mushroom LOL. I have a cream I use to because the opposite of you I have NO estrogen in my body and haven't had any for 10 years, well since the cancer. I really really don't want to go on HRT and I'm thinking I probably won't. The little pills are sitting in my purse, but I'm thinking I'm not going that route. I have night sweats and moods, but I've had these for 10 years and they have become part of me... I've learned to deal so I'm thinking if I can go 10 years, hell, why try to fix it now with something that could lead me to other unwanted side-affects. The only thing that I do not like is the hair loss, but the more I read the more I think its the thyroid meds more then anything so hopefully once I get that figured out, maybe the hair loss will slow down. I was just told that my Vit D levels are low enough that they are concerned because of my meno state, so they want me to take 50,000 IU's for two months with 1500 IU's of Calcium just until I level out. Seems like a lot huh? But I'm willing to do it for a while to avoid any damage to the ol' bones! I'm 44 and with all this going on you would think I'm 80 LOL.... Do men have even half these problems? Its so frustrating at times! They seem to have it easy, but then again I'm not a man so I really don't know what they go through, but can it be this bad LOL! I'm thinking not.... I'm also trying to eat more raw, organic and eating only enough of what my body needs.I don't need that second helping of anything. Sugar is evil, but its soooo good. I've tried to keep this at a minimum as well. My sister use to get swollen nodes in her breasts too when she ate chocolate or drank coffee. It got so bad that she eventually had to quit all or suffer. I've also pushed myself into walking more and of course doing some weight routines. I'm thinking that you are right - being our own doctors is a lot healthier and cheaper then going and seeing one with a degree! My mom never ever seen a doctor, she was convinced that you leave their office sicker then you were when you walked in. I think I seen her with a cold once in her life - she was always healthy (unfortunately she was taken from us in an automobile accident), but I think mom knew best! Hope all is well and please keep in touch you are so full of good information Have a great day!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
(female)

cabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB User

Quote:
Hi swtkoolaid,

There is another mushroom called the Siberian Chaga that is supposed to be very good for the immune system as well. It's expensive to buy of course. Chaga does grow in the northern United States. I am trying to convince my husband to go on a hunt with me, but he won't. I think it can be found in Wisconsin which is not far from where we live.

For me, my hormone related issues were 3 years of being plagued with, hot flashes, night sweats, no sleep, breast and ovarian cysts, thinning hair, and a very mooooody lady.

Every time I was at the doctors office they wanted to put me on birth control pills and antidepressants, no thank you.. I started a journal to figure out what my body was reacting to. What I found out, my body does not like caffeine or refined sugar(my two best friends). Whenever I would indulge, I would have a reaction. Usually in the form of cysts, always 2 on my left ovary and in bunches of 3 in my left breast. Never on my right side, I have yet to figure that one out.

Over the past 10 years I have become my own doctor, my own experiment. I go to my doctor for 2 things only, a pap test and blood tests twice a year. I change my diet regularly but always keep my fat intake close to 40% of my daily calories. I feel best at this level and have not gained weight.

I also use supplements: raw calcium, raw vitamin D, B12 and adrenal support. Last month I decided to try a natural progesterone cream made by Dr. Kim. The reason I made this decision was because my breasts were remaining sore all the time, this tells me my estrogen levels are too high.

After using the cream for about 5 to 7 days, I was a new me - the old me that I had apparently forgotten about. I was very pleasantly surprised by the difference in how I felt. I would have told you 2 months ago that I felt great, because I did. What I didn't know at the time was, I could feel better than great. Will this cream work for everyone, probably not, everyone is different, but I will continue using it as long as I get results.

Very much like you, when trying new things I tend to measure results by how I'm feeling and if something doesn't add value to my health, I stop using it. Right now I eat a diet that's 80% raw, I eat some animals products and steam a few veggie's. Lot's of filtered water with fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice is good throughout the day. Two meals a day, no snacks, keeps me running at optimal levels.

Just read your post and saw where you were using the natural progesterone cream . I have been using it for about 5 months and it has helped alot. My energy levels are up and i just feel happy again . I am still having some hot flashes but at least they are not total melt downs anyway i have done research online and found this site where the lady has been on progesterone cream for 14 yrs. and says you go by your symptoms on how much to use so i may not be using enough to totally get the hot flashes to go away. Would love to hear you thoughts on this. God Bless

Old 11-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
(female)

Swtkoolaid HB User

Hi,

I don't think I use enough either. I use the dime size as stated on the tube. I think I might use more as here lately my night sweats have gotten worse. I think though I can blame it on running the furnance lately as its definitely feeling like winter. And in the summer I have the air going so probably don't feel the affects as much. Hoping that is all it is considering my history with Hodgkins and nightsweats are symptom so of course I get myself worked up over it. But I have an onco followup visit on Monday so he will let me know if I should be concerned. So I think I might bathe in the cream tonight and see if I feel a difference LOL... I will let you know how it goes! Keep me posted on your progress!!! and of course I want to wish you a VERY BLESEED AND HEALTHY THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY... Andrea

Old 11-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Swtkoolaid: Investigate adding Zinc to your regiment. I heard on Dr. Oz recently that it's recommended for hair loss. Ask your doctor to do a full vitamin and mineral panel on you.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #13
(female)

JustHormonious HB User

swtkoolaid - How are you doing? Happy New Year!

Old 01-04-2011, 06:56 AM   #14
(female)

cabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB User

Quote:
Hi swtkoolaid,

Hi, Was wondering how you are coming along with the progesterone cream.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #15
(female)

JustHormonious HB User

Hi cabin921

Actually very well. I'm not taking the amount suggested, I actually only use half the dose. I have no complaints and will continue use. How are you doing on it?

Closed Thread