It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Scared of pelvic ultrasound coming up

Hi ladies! I have had some bad heavy, clotty crampy periods the last couple of months. It's really scared me. My doctor is sending me for a pelvic ultrasound on wednesday. I am scared to have it done, and I'm scared to perhaps find out that there is something terribly wrong. I went a couple of weeks since my period and now its the time of ovulation. I had had really sore achy pain in the ovary area and surrounding area. I also have sore knuckles feet, joints and arms etc...I am wondering if my vitamin D is low again. And if that is true would my period and female parts ache too? Please help me find some answers. Is anyone else suffering?? I know I sound pathetic. I am so tired of these peri symptoms. They are really bringing on depression and anxiety in me. Thanks for any responses.

The following user gives a hug of support to TEdds83:
Ontario_redhead (03-18-2011)
Old 12-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Scared of pelvic ultrasound coming up

Hello my old friend! I remember when we first met several years ago, when we were both suffering from that horrible flu/cold/virus thing that never went away? Remember that, this is nothing compared to that darn thing.

I would like to offer you my support, as you prepare yourself for you ultrasound on Wednesday. I have been going through major difficulties with endometriosis this entire year, which included every test in the book several times over. I have lost count of how many pelvic ultrasounds I have had.

I understand you fear of finding a problem, but the procedure itself is a piece of cake. It is pretty quick and painless, relaxing is the best way to get through it (relax with a camera up your doodle?).

Do you have a friend that can go with you? Make a point to let your technician know that you are fearful, they will go out of their way to ease you through the test itself. As far as the results, if you can get an answer to your issues with the PU, all the better, because it is the least invasive procedure, painless and quick results.

If you are being treated for anxiety with medication, by all means take your medication before your appointment.

Please let me know how it turns out, I am interested in your experience. Have you had one before?

janet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2010, 02:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Hello Janet, wow thanks for posting! Yes I remember you. I'm glad we are both better from the other issue. I'm laying here in bed , its the middle of the night and I can't sleep. I'm scared. I'm having ahot flash my pelvic area is tender and feels tender and bloated. I keep thinking the worst like what if I have ovarian cancer? I have been going through perimenopause for a few years now. My progesterone is way too low. It was just tested. They just upped my dose. Up until a couple months ago my periods were light and painfree. Now the last two were heavy with clotting and pain. And now I am have pain inbetween. Scary. I will also add that I am being tested for gluten in tolerance. I think I may be low on vitamin D again. My hands, feet, arms, back and joint in groin area are sore. This all has me very worried. I feel like I am falling apart. I'm fearful of the results. This is my first pelvic ultrasound. Can you tell me what the symptoms are of your endometriosis? Sorry you are suffering. I can relate to the pain. Thanks for helping me.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Of course I would respond anytime I see my friends needing some support. Happy to help.

Can I assure you how unlikely it is that you have ovarian cancer? It is highly unlikely. I would put that right out of your head darlin'.

What you describe sounds much more like the last periods before menopause. I cannot tell you how many women and I have discussed how the periods change as it gets closer to the end. Many women have a huge period that lasts for weeks, then no more. Even changing your hormonal balance can lead to pain and tenderness. If you are taking medication to regulate your hormone levels, this could be enough to cause your symptoms. I feel quite certain that whatever issues are leading to the symptoms can be caught and adjusted. Like you say, it may be a combination of a few issues. You are doing the right thing by checking the obvious.

The endometriosis was happening way before it was ever diagnosed, the symptoms were spread out, there seemed no rhyme or reason, just shooting pain in my lower right groin area, like attacks, that would come and go, almost like labor pains, but then they would disappear for months. They happened before my period, during, after, whatever. Finally, I got an attack that did not go away. It was Valentines day, 2010. From there, I was in and out of the ER, and the hospital many times, without ever getting a diagnosis. The pain was so intense, I had to finally be placed on Morphine to ease the pain.

Typically, surgery would be performed, total hysterectomy, and that would be it. Unfortunately, I am inoperable, due to my kidney failure, and strokes, No doctor would touch me for treatment. I have been put into a medical menopause, and am now 3 months since a period, hoping for it to be the last one forever.

By the way, the pelvic ultrasounds did not detect the endometriosis, but boy they tried!
Honestly, the ultrasound will be fine. Do not make yourself sick over the idea of a terrible outcome. Perimenopause is a tricky time, that leads many women to their doctors to help them get through. There have never been more effective treatments, better testing, and more help for women who pass through this season of life.

Rather that think of this as potential doom, think of it as a great tool to help your doctor help you. Pelvic ultrasounds are very commonly used procedure that are used all the time. It is by no means a sign of something dreadful. It really does not hurt one bit, and before you know it, it is over.

I hope you let me know what happens tomorrow. I hope your doctor is right there to read the test, which rules out lots of things immediately. Sorry I couldn't go along with you and hold your hand...I would!
janet

Old 12-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks again Janet! Whew this is a rough ride, this menopause crap. I am so weary of the monthly ups and downs with hormones, periods, no periods, heavy clotting crampy periods, inbetween pain, bloating, gassy, itchy skin, hot flashes...shall I go on? ARGGH! Tomorrows test will just help me know for sure what is going on. I have talked to my homeopathic pharmacist who is around this age as well. She has the same things we do. In my case we think it is my low progesterone, gluten sensativity and low vitamin D wreaking havoc on my body. It's causing my joint pain, bloating and pain in the female parts and intestines, as well as all of the other things I mentioned. I am revamping my diet, upped my progesterone and got back on 10k units of vitamin D a day. I probably should have that checked. They usually put you on 50k a day for awhile. Im always having blood drawn to check levels. Geez, I am hypothyroid too btw. But its under control.

Sorry to hear of your physical ailments too. We just have to plow through each day and ask God to give us grace peace and comfort. I am so grateful that you are helping me. Your words give me comfort. I will let you know how my test goes tomorrow. Even though I probably wont have results.

I hope you are feeling better.
Tammy

Old 12-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had the pelvic ultrasound this morning. It wasn't so bad. It did hurt a little as she pressed the wand at certain angles inside against the cervix and ovaries. She couldn't tell me the results of course because the doctor has to do that. I have a sneaky suspician I have some ovarian cyts that I'm dealiing with. Most the time they break up on their own. Hopefully its nothing worse. Ill let you know.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User

It may be that you have some endometriosis and or, fibroid tumors. Fibroids are benign tumors that grow in the uterus and can grow outside the uterus. Anyway, they cause a lot of problems like the symptoms that you were talking about.

I have had fibroids at one time and they went away so you might not want to rush into any major procedure. It all depends on what you and your doctor can agree on. Sincerely, searchin

Old 12-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

I am so happy you got through it, and hopefully you will be on the road to recovery, once the doctor reads the results.

I am most pleased to know you have gotten the worst out of your head, such as the cancer thoughts.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI ladies! Well wouldn't ya know I was at work this evening and the doctor called my cell phone at about 6:45 PM, she must have been in the office a little after hours. She said she had the results of my gluten test and the pelvic ultrasound. She sounded upbeat, but who knows. She said call her sometime tomorrow morning. UGH! Why is it that they always call when you can't get it and you have to wait till the next day?? So I am sitting here thinking the worst. I know there is something there, it hurt when the ultrasound tech was poking around in there. I just hope its a cyst that will dissolve. There is nothing I can do till I find out right?

Old 12-30-2010, 07:49 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

By now I bet you have received the results, and I hope they are good news for you.

When I was telling you that the ultrasound was a piece of cake, I was trying to assure you it was painless and easy. Of course, in my case there was great tenderness in the area of the endometriosis, overall the procedure is basically painless. I would expect there to be some sensation, as we are not used to objects pressing around from in there.

Hope you have good news for us.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #11
(female)

ruzalily HB User

TEdds83,
Trans-vag ultrasounds are always uncomfortable, not to mention the other part of the exam with a full bladder. The discomfort certainly doesn't mean anything is wrong, so I hope you haven't worried too much. And by now you probably have the results, so I hope you're at ease and feeling good. Please post how you're doing! Lily

Old 12-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI Ladies! Thanks for being here for me. I finally got ahold of the doctor this morning. My results are that I have 2 uterine fibroids that are both around 1.7 in size and I have some small cysts on both ovaries. She said those usually dissolve with the menstrual cycle. But I tell ya, something is causing me tenderness. And the fibroids pretty much stay there for good. She says in some cases the do go away but in most cases they stay as we age into 40's and beyond. They can cause some heavy bleeding during periods. So she didn't seemed alarmed to do anything more for me at this point. So where do I go from here? Does this sound like how any of you are dealing with this? This is all new to me. I just want to make it through my periods and pain that comes and goes. I am trying to not eat or drink things that cause inflammation in the body such as sugar and caffeine because it does make me feel worse in that area. Any of thoughts on how to deal with this?

Thanks so much all of you for helping me through.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:22 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

That diagnosis makes sense, and would explain your symptoms to a T. I always seem to have ovarian cysts too, which so far have all resolved themselves along the way.

Did your discussion include a treatment plan, or is that saved for an office visit? Now that you have a baseline set of numbers, your doctor can easily monitor the growth or shrinkage of the fibroids and the cysts. It is a good number just to have.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:59 AM   #14
(female)

ruzalily HB User

Hi TE,
Well, overall your news is great. Cysts and fibroids are benign, which is a relief, but they can definitely be uncomfortable. It sounds like your doctor isn't concerned about the fibroids at all, so just keeping an eye on them and your symptoms is probably the most conservative approach. If you are having pain and you want to explore treatments, there are hormonal treatments and surgical. The hormones can help shrink fibroids and hopefully improve pain and discomfort, and surgical options can range from lasering the fibroids away, complete removal of the fibroids, and/or an endometrial ablation which will freeze the lining of the uterus and get rid of the fibroids at the same time. I think it all depends on what you are dealing with in terms of pain and bleeding. Fibroids supposedly shrink as we go into menopause because they aren't fed by estrogen and progesterone anymore, so if you can wait it out, things will most likely improve. But obviously you have to consider your quality of life, and if you are miserable, you should definitely look at other options.

The only anti-inflammatory that I know of that you might want to try (other than an NSAID) is an Indian spice called curcumin. It's a derivative of curry, widely used in Indian cooking. You can get it in most health food stores. It's a yellow powder that comes in 500mg capsules. It is being studied as a potential treatment for a blood disorder (that I unfortunately have), and I have taken it off and on for about two years. It is supposed to have super anti-inflammatory properties, along with many other benefits. It is being used as part of a clinical study at MD Anderson and one of it's other positives is that it supposedly has no side effects whatsoever. I haven't experienced any at all myself, so after doing my research, I feel like it's a very safe option for me. I haven't been taking it since I have had such heavy periods because now that I'm anemic again, I'm back on iron. The iron apparently negates the effects of the curcumin so it's a waste of the curcumin to take it until my anemia has been treated and I'm off iron. I'm not sure if you said you're anemic as well. Like you, I am caffeine free (except for a little splash of regular in my decaf every morning, to keep my almost daily hormonal headaches at bay), and I'm eating as healthy as possible. Cutting out white flour and refined sugar has been my biggest challenge. But I do love vegetables and have never been a fan of red meat, so I think that helps a little, too. I also find that exercise of any kind, even a brisk walk, improves circulation and makes the whole body feel better. Getting the endorphins flowing always helps my state of mind as well, and I have to tell you that this whole perimenopause situation gets me waaaay down sometimes. So, I hope that a few of these suggestions might work for you. If you're interested in learning more about curcumin, you will find lots of information on it via internet.

And finally, I hope that your good news gives you some peace of mind. My appointment is next week and I'm hoping for the same positive outcome. I wish you a Happy New Year of peace, joy, and good health!

Lily

Old 12-31-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi ladies! Me again. Today I woke up feeling bloating and achy in my ovaries and pelvic area. AGAIN> ugh! But I am wondering if it isn't the mexican food I had twice yesterday that was quite spicy not to mention I am sure had some gluten in it. I am gluten sensative. So I suppose any inflammation in that area will push on the girly parts. My period isn't due till Jan. 12th. Does this inflammation from cysts and fibroids go on throughout the month?

The doctor made no mention of making a plan with her. She just told me that the cysts and fibroids were small and a normal part of aging. Geez! Well thats just great. So what about the discomfort?? At least I sit and tell myself that I just had an ultrasound and there is nothing seriously wrong and put myself at ease. But are there things we can do to stop the grow or production of cysts and fibroids? Lily mentioned the powder. I have heard that getting the progesterone level back up will help too, which I have upped my bioidentical cream dose. The pharmacist said to reach optimal levels takes 90 days. I am heading into week two. I have also started back on the vitamin D. I know having Low D is crucial to many many things in the body, including achy pain in the bones and muscles. Lets just say the heating pad and my sofa have become my new best friends.

Thanks for your posts writeleft and Lily. Your comments really do help me. I am sorry for sounding like I complain all the time. I am just trying to find some relief. I know we all are. Lily, I pray for a good doctor visit and tests results if you are having things done here soon. It is a relief to get results that we can deal with. Believe me, I am GREATFUL!! It's good to have a baseline picture of my female parts.

I also know it is best to keep our parts as long as we can and try to make it through menopause with them in tact. Im gonna try all the way. I really think I have been in peri for 6 years. I suppose one day it just stops. We will all have to celebrate when that happens.

Happy New Year to you all my dear friends!! Be safe!

Last edited by TEdds83; 12-31-2010 at 01:43 PM.

Closed Thread