It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
(female)

alwaysaworrier HB User
feeling horrible again

I am 53 and in menopause, no period for over 2 years. I have had every symptom you could imagine but have been feeling pretty good in the last while until last week. I have had a horrible week really, started one night in bed when i woke up suddenly whith strange head (as if something moved inside my head) which frightened me. Felt dizzy and off balance most of the next day - i think a lot of it was i was constantly thinking about it. Two nights ago again i was just drifting off to sleep and got this surge from my stomach to my chest area, lasting about 2 seconds which scared the heck out of me, thought i was dying and then i started to panic but did get off to sleep again pretty soon. Yesterday i felt horrible most of the day, fuzzy head & lightheaded/off balance feeling. I did go out last night with my husband and had a few drinks and felt grand. It seems when i think about it i get weak all over my body and have a fuzzy feeling in my head. This has happened me several times over the years since peri started and i have gotten used to it and tell myself it will pass but this time, think its because it has been a while since i have felt this way that it has me scared all over again. Is there anybody else out there who get these horrible, horrible surges etc which leaves them weak all over, fuzzy and dizzy head and a feeling of off balance - would love to hear from you

Do you think its part of menopause or should i be worried there is something else the matter like my heart or stroke etc?

I hope you can follow what i am trying to say, it is just sooo hard to describe these feelings, surges or whatever they are

Last edited by alwaysaworrier; 01-03-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
(female)

nlw2602 HB User
Re: feeling horrible again

I am with you on this. I had about a year of total relief and the last few weeks all my symptoms started up again. The worst thing about it is that even though I know what it is this time, it still has the anxiety meter going thru the roof. I just wish that Doctors would really get a grip on this! There are so many women going down this same road. I know there isn't a "magic pill" so to speak, but any kind of relief would be great. Hang in there.....you aren't alone. When it gets really bad, I just pop an Ativan and "presto" all the symptoms magically go away. I know this isn't the way to solve this, but hey, works for me. I usually need to take at least 1 pill a month, around the middle of my "cycle" so I guess i'm lucky that way. My Dr. even told me, "take a pill, if the symptoms go away, it's all good. Iif they don't, call me" So.....what do you do??

Old 01-15-2011, 03:54 AM   #3
(female)

alwaysaworrier HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlw2602 View Post
I am with you on this. I had about a year of total relief and the last few weeks all my symptoms started up again. The worst thing about it is that even though I know what it is this time, it still has the anxiety meter going thru the roof. I just wish that Doctors would really get a grip on this! There are so many women going down this same road. I know there isn't a "magic pill" so to speak, but any kind of relief would be great. Hang in there.....you aren't alone. When it gets really bad, I just pop an Ativan and "presto" all the symptoms magically go away. I know this isn't the way to solve this, but hey, works for me. I usually need to take at least 1 pill a month, around the middle of my "cycle" so I guess i'm lucky that way. My Dr. even told me, "take a pill, if the symptoms go away, it's all good. Iif they don't, call me" So.....what do you do??
Thanks for taking the time to reply, really appreciate it. I had about a year or more of just the occasional setback but now its back almost every day and it is scaring me really. I just hope its still menopause, what scares me is the fact that i had such a good spell feeling more or less normal. I was glad to read that it had returned to you as well, i mean that in a good way, but wish it hadn't retuned to any of us Right now as i write this my head is so fuzzy and feel as if everything in there is just in a 'floating zone'. I am weak in my legs also. Maybe others might like to let us know if this has happened to them also, we need to be there for each other. Reassurance that this has happened to others here on the board is better than visiting with the doctor. My doctor just seems to be baffled by the whole menopuase thing but also tells me that it is menopuase. I am due a visit to her in the next couple of weeks so i will talk to her again about it. In the meantime, these boards, i hope will keep me from going insane

The following user gives a hug of support to alwaysaworrier:
bjvelardi (06-05-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to alwaysaworrier For This Useful Post:
bjvelardi (06-05-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #4
(female)

nlw2602 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysaworrier View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply, really appreciate it. I had about a year or more of just the occasional setback but now its back almost every day and it is scaring me really. I just hope its still menopause, what scares me is the fact that i had such a good spell feeling more or less normal. I was glad to read that it had returned to you as well, i mean that in a good way, but wish it hadn't retuned to any of us Right now as i write this my head is so fuzzy and feel as if everything in there is just in a 'floating zone'. I am weak in my legs also. Maybe others might like to let us know if this has happened to them also, we need to be there for each other. Reassurance that this has happened to others here on the board is better than visiting with the doctor. My doctor just seems to be baffled by the whole menopuase thing but also tells me that it is menopuase. I am due a visit to her in the next couple of weeks so i will talk to her again about it. In the meantime, these boards, i hope will keep me from going insane
I have found these boards and these women to be the lifeline that got me through the first part of this. I had no one that I could talk to so I would come here and read what everyone else was going through and sure enough, the same things kept being said over and over. It really did put my mind at ease about this menopause thing. I am now starting to see alot of the things start up again that I really thought were gone forever, only this time, I feel that I'm more equiped to deal with it. The first time was brutal!! The anxiety is the worst for me though, the hot flashes and such don't really concern me. I always have a few Ativan on hand for when it get really unbearable, but other than that I kind of talk my self out of my "moments". Sounds crazy, I know, but whatever works I always say. Hopefully by the time summer rolls around, we will be good as new!! Keep the faith, this will all be over soon!!

The following user gives a hug of support to nlw2602:
bjvelardi (06-05-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to nlw2602 For This Useful Post:
bjvelardi (06-05-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
(female)

boroth25 HB User

I am so with you on this. As I sit here bawling and trying to decide if I should be on the meno board, the depression board, the mental illness board or what. I am 57, 3 years no period, so of course all docs say postmeno. Do they ever run the right tests for me, no, because as they say, you are postmenopausal, don't need any tests. Why does this come back so bad, when for the last 3 months I have been feeling better and happier than ever! Than bamm! I have suffered with anxiety attacks since my 20's, and have been on Zoloft for about 9 years. So I get so confused if it is part of menopause, or a mental problem or what. I do not know where to turn anymore. I know this will pass in a few days, at least I hope, but does anyone have a clue as to where I should turn to for help? Today is such a bad day, crying, scared I am going nuts, will I hurt myself, just bad. And anyone know why I get the chills when the bad comes back? And nausea, headache, just lack of any drive? I am so sorry to rant, I know you all have your own problems, I am just at wits end today.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: boroth25
alwaysaworrier (01-22-2011), bjvelardi (06-05-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boroth25 For This Useful Post:
alwaysaworrier (01-22-2011), bjvelardi (06-05-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I'm frustrated too. This change of life has caused me so many symptoms. I have anxiety, depression, increased allergies and reactions to things and then every meno symptom there is. I feel like I am going mad. And I am going through a divorce and being alone brings on more anxiety. Just know you aren't alone. I hate going through this.

The following user gives a hug of support to TEdds83:
boroth25 (01-23-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
(female)

sealear HB User

Hi, it sounds like you and I have pretty much the same things going on with our health. I am menopausal (almost 3 years now), was diagnosed with GAD last year as well as hypothyroid. I was wondering if you ever had sore leg muscles, calves, tingling with discomfort in legs? I know this could be a symptom of menopause, anxiety and hypo....just wondering if you had this with anything? I recently started taking clomazepam, just slowly starting on lexapro and am considering hormone patch. I would love to hear about your symptoms, especially regarding legs. Also, my doctor tells me that since my thyroid is under control, taking 50 mcg's, that I shouldn't be feeling any thyroid effects....doesn't think my anxiety is associated with it at all....but what is weird....I've always had a little anxiety concerning my health but NOTHING like I've had after having my thyroid diagnosed. Hope to hear from you soon.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Hi Sealear! Sorry that you are suffering too. Ugh! It's no fun. I do have leg discomfort. All my symptoms travel and move around. One day I have one issue and the next its a different one. I have had sore legs and muscles throughout my body. Sometimes I feel like i might have restless leg syndrome. I get weird tingling, burning and electric shock sensations in my muscles too. It's weird, don't know if I am low on Vitamin D, or low thyroid again, anxiety, perimeno, estrogen dominance. They can all give muscular symptoms and things like this. we are NOT crazy. It's very real. I have gone to every doctor you can imagine. Test after test...everything seems to be pointing to aging and menopause. It all drives me mad. And I have gal friends who went through it and said they never had a symptom. Make me want to scream, you've got to be kidding!!
Here to talk anytime!

Old 01-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi boroth25,

I am so sorry you are feeling so poorly. Yes, menopause can last alot longer even after your periods finally cease. Know that you're not alone, alot of us here are feeling badly also. Feel free to post here often, just when you need a friend or a shoulder to lean on. We're all hear to listen and help.

Take care my friend, everything is going to be okay.

Missy

The Following User Says Thank You to missy222 For This Useful Post:
boroth25 (01-22-2011)
Old 01-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
(female)

jansonlygirl HB Userjansonlygirl HB User

I have often wondered if I should go to the anxiety board, depression board, etc...
This Peri is an out of body experience. I can't even tell when I am having symptoms of it since I tend to think it is just the norm to feel like crap and be sad all the time..
When I do have good days it then makes me think to the bad ones and realize again, it is my hormones, unreal! They command your life, I too am so tired of feeling so useless most of the month, then I see the women that have it all pulled together and it makes me very sad. They work, travel, go out to dinners, get their haircut (yes, even that is too much right now..anxiety) will I ever feel good enough to do these things???
I try not to despair, I can't imagine that this goes on forever..I hope!
Anyway, as usual just keep on hanging in there, it must get easier.
Jenny <3

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: jansonlygirl
boroth25 (01-22-2011), sealear (01-22-2011)
Old 01-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #11
(female)

boroth25 HB User

Thanks for the replies, guys. It really does help. I just get so confused as where to turn for the best help. When panic and anxiety started back in my 20's, no one knew anything about them! So when peri started at 42, man, they came on in force along with all the other crap. In November 2010, ob/gyn suggested upping the zoloft to 100mg, and going to a therapist. I tried upping the dose, made me feel worse, and than of course I felt much better, so never made it to the therapist. Now, the past week, it is back, in force! I am going to visit my sister next week, and my daughter says that is what is bringing them back again. Sorry for babbling, girls. Just feel lost and confused. If I had these back in my 20's, could it still be hormonal, or do I really need to go to a therapist? Have I been lacking something all my life and the zoloft has helped, but maybe I need something else? I am scared to death to go back to square one. Is the menopause making them come back now and than, and what should I do about that, go on bio's? Bad days I just want to scream, GO AWAY! Again, sorry to go on.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
(female)

alwaysaworrier HB User

Boroth,
I don't have an answer for you unfortunately as i never had this anxiety stuff until a few years ago. Are you anxious or nervous about visiting your sister, maybe a long trip or just plain excited, maybe that is for some unknown reason bringing it back bad at the moment. I know, sometimes, when i am happy about something, like going on a trip or visiting with somebody or some ordinary simple thing like that, that for some reason which i cannot understand, i too get bad again out of nowhere. I often wonder is it how we are anxious subconsciously and we don't even know it. I don't know if this info is of any use or not to you - my heart goes out to you. My worst type of symptom is this wave of adereline type thing that makes me feel weak from head to toe and a fuzzy lightheaded feeling. Sometimes it is shorlived and more times like now it can last for weeks.

I hope you feel better soon and that you have a lovely visit with your sister.

The Following User Says Thank You to alwaysaworrier For This Useful Post:
boroth25 (01-23-2011)
Old 01-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi boroth,

I totally agree with Maggie, perhaps the anticipation of your visit with your sister is setting you off, I know it does when I plan a trip. Listen, you need to find a good doctor that will test your hormone levels. If it something you're low in and can correct that perhaps it will help. At least you will have something to go on, if it's not hormones then go from there. I would suggest you try that and also have a good checkup with bloodwork. I'm sure it's just hormones and that's what probably set you off in your 20's. Your hormones at that time were fluctuating too. My sister has been post meno for 10 years now and is still having a hard time, I just talked to her today and she thinks that's just the way her life is now.

Hang in there and know you're not alone. Let all the emotions go and have a super visit with your sister, you deserve it. Let us know how it goes.

Missy

Last edited by missy222; 01-23-2011 at 07:07 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to missy222:
boroth25 (01-24-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to missy222 For This Useful Post:
boroth25 (01-24-2011)
Closed Thread