It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Anyone have digestive trouble with Perimenopause??

My Gynae says i could be peri, but not sure !!

These are my symptoms im sure many of you here have more experience than Doctors !!

1. Anxiety
2. Shortness of breath
3. Panic attacks
4. Shorter periods
5. Lighter periods
6. Internal vibration
7. Acid reflux/intestinal problems
8. Palpatations/mild AF

I'm sure there are more.

Can anyone else do a list to see if they have same problems?

I'm almost 49.

Last edited by Worrybucket; 12-20-2010 at 10:36 AM.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
(female)

calvarygirl5 HB User
Re: Anyone have digestive trouble with Perimenopause??

Hi worrybucket,

My symptoms started 12/08 with anxiety and panic attacks. Here is my complete list.

1. anxiety
2. panic attacks
3. bloated stomach
4. shortness of breath, due to bloated stomach
5. non-cardiac chest pain
6. esophageal flutters/spasms
7. rapid heartbeat
8. acid reflux
9. burping, burping, and burping
10. lack of appetite (usually can eat the equivalent of 1/2 sandwich)
11. constipation 3/4's of the time

I have had a lot of tests:

2 ct scans (normal)
endoscopy (normal)
barrium swallow (normal)
ekg(normal)
stress echocardiagram (normal)
x-rays heart & lungs (normal)
ultrasound (normal)

Usually hearing that your tests come back normal would be reassuring, but for those of us looking to find out what's wrong, that's not the case. We want to hear what it is, and how they're going to fix it.

I am very happy to have come across these boards today as I have been a "worrybucket" myself. I went to the doctor yesterday, (a new one) who promptly told me I needed to see a psychologist. He tapped me as a hypochondriac I'm sure, and didn't want to deal with me.

I am 46 years old and still have mostly regular periods. I didn't really think it was perimenopause as there were no hot flashes, nightsweats etc. But, after reading what all of these other women are going through, I am convinced that's what it is. I am going to check out the digestive enzymes and probiotics as I don't know very much about them.

Take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Calvarygirl5,

Welcome to the boards! It sounds like the beginning of the peri road to me. Just hang in there because it can get rocky at times, but there are alot of great gals on this board to help you out when you need it.

The anxiety with peri can be devastating when it starts up. That's what brought me to the boards a few years ago. Don't worry about what the doctor said to you, mine told me the exact same thing. My doctor wanted me to see a psychologist to learn breathing techniques for it. Well, I don't want to learn how to breathe through it, I want the darn anxiety to stop!!!

As far as the probiotic goes, I tried the new Phillips Colon Health and it really does help with the digestive issues. You can buy it at any superstore or phamacy over the counter.

Good luck and hope this helps some.
Missy

Last edited by missy222; 01-22-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo

Old 01-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #4
(female)

calvarygirl5 HB User

Thanks for your reply Missy. I am going to check out the Phillips Colon Health when I hit the store today.

So tell me, in your experience, and all that you've heard from others, can perimenopause symptoms disappear for months at a time? I had been feeling terrible for 1 1/2 years and then from mid June last year to November, I felt pretty darn good. Between November and now, I have good days and bad days.

Tell you what, it sure makes it hard to go to work. I'm always anticipating the next "attack".

My mother transitioned very easily. She has since passed, but at the time she said she didn't have any menopause symptoms. She simply stopped having her period. My grandmother however, ended up in a mental hospital.

I am very relieved to have found this board!!! Love and all God's best to all of you who are suffering.

Kari

Old 01-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
(female)

Helen365 HB User

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the boards! I too have been experiencing missed periods, flooding periods, nausea, breast tenderness, heart palpitations(PVC's) itchy skin, and my periods started getting heavier about 2yrs ago. I will be 46 in March and it seems the docs don't want to commit them selves to say I am starting peri-menopause...LOL I have been also having bouts of anxiety and mood swings too.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
(female)

calvarygirl5 HB User

Hi Helen,

My doc(s) don't want to commit either. I had one that said I was within "spitting distance" of menopause. It seems as if they're looking just at menopause, not peri.

It just makes sense. We all have a lot of symptoms going on. We go and have our tests that all come back normal, and we're told that it's just "anxiety" or "depression" or we need to see a psychologist. It's crazy when the diagnosis is right there in front of their faces! It's not all in our heads!

Well, it certainly sounds like peri to me. I am going to ask to have my hormone levels checked this coming week. With the anxiety, I need to know what is going on with my body. I think that if we KNEW what our symptoms were caused by, we would all probably be much calmer.

I hear ya on the mood swings! My poor husband keeps saying, "I just want my wife back!" I reassure him that I am still me............between crying jags that is. LOL. What a rollercoaster! I wish you the best Helen.

Kari

Old 01-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Kari and Helen,

Welcome to the boards Helen! You will find alot of useful info here from alot of gals.

And yes Kari, I do believe that the symptoms and feelings come and go for awhile usually until something new pops up and then you start all over again. Let me just say I was 49 when all of my horrible anxiety reared its head. Scared the witts out of me. I could take the regular symptoms hot flashes, sweats, moodiness, etc. But the scary ones like shaking, twitches, extreme anxiety really scared me. I truly thought I had a deadly disease or was losing it. After being on this board and researching everything I could, I realize it is all part of the peri package and that in itself has helped me tremendously.

My advice for you girls is don't let it get a hold of you, know that you, like many, are experiencing the same things that the rest of us are. It is only peri and you will make it through this. I am almost 52 now and still going thru peri, but I feel better knowing that alot of other women are experiencing exactly what I feel and talking about it with others is very helpful.

Kari, I am glad to hear that your mom went thru it without any troubles, that could be good for you. They say if your mom had no trouble, perhaps you wont have it to bad either. My mom was hospitalized for a nervous breakdown when she went thru it! But I have talked to alot of other elderly women who can't even remember menopause, how great would that be? I met a lady a couple weeks ago that was a friend of a friend and I brought up meno and we were talking and she said she never felt a thing!! Her periods just stopped and that was it. I told her, I don't know what your eating or drinking, but I'm moving in with you!! I think all of the toxins that we have in our world and food these days contribute alot to the way are bodies are reacting to normal changes.

So I hope this helps you gals out a little, take care and whatever you do, don't let it get the best of you!

Missy

Old 01-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #8
(female)

Helen365 HB User

Yeah I have had alot of tests that say I'm perfect. I even had the one that will tell you if your nearing menopause or not and it came back that I'm not. My mom started her perimenopause at 42 and was completely finished by 50. So, I am hoping that is me as well. I too will be going back to the doctors on Wed to see they gyn and I am hoping he will say yep your going through it...lol so far I have missed this months period and I know for sure I'm not pregnant..lol Good luck with your doctor visit..

Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
(female)

JustHormonious HB User

Hi Ladies,

Have any of you tried increasing your daily fiber intake for the digestive problems? It will help. I use: 1 Tbsp of organic whole psyllium husks and 1Tbsp of black strap molasses mixed with 8ozs of water 3x a day. This will add 18 grams (depending on brand) of fiber to your diet.

Currently there is no RDA for fiber, but it has been suggested that 20-35 grams daily will improve your overall health. Your digestive system will work more efficiently when you feed it the fiber it needs. A healthy digestive system will speed up the process of excretion of toxins and wastes from your body. Fewer toxins mean less illness.

If your body is not used to this amount of fiber, you can become bloated and experience some gas pain. Any time you increase your fiber intake you should increase your water intake, this will help keep your body from getting dehydrated.

Start out slow and increase the amount every week. For example: Start with 1/2 Tbsp 1x daily the first week and see how you feel. Then increase it to 1Tbsp and so on...

This mixture is thick and a little gritty but it's manageable. If it's too thick for you add more water. I also recommend drinking another 8ozs of water within 10 minutes of drinking the mixture. It helps with digestion and hydration.

* Make sure the psyllium husks are Organic and Whole - Best sources are from India
* Blackstrap molasses - Should be Organic Dark and unsulfured

I wish all you ladies the best of health and hope this helps your digestive upsets...

Old 01-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Are the psyllium and molasses something that you can purchase at a health food store?

I will give it a try. At one point I did try to increase the fiber in my diet and I bought some of that fiber cereal. I poured about a cup into my bowl with milk and ate it all, boy was that a mistake. I didn't read the box when it said to start off slow with about a fourth of a cup, well needless to say and you can guess what happened!!!!!!

Take care,
Missy

Old 01-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
(female)

JustHormonious HB User

Hi Missy,

You should be able to find both at your local health food store. Make sure you buy certified organic whole psyllium husks. You do not want any psyllium husks that have been sprayed with pesticides.

This mixture is a wonderful addition to your daily diet. When your digestive system is clean you have so much more energy and don't get sick as often. The unsulfured blackstrap molasses is a good source of iron, calcium, magnesium, and potassium. It also has trace amounts of copper and B vitamins.

~JH

Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
(female)

pauline46 HB Userpauline46 HB User

Can I ask what the black strap molasses are for? How does this aid the fibre?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #13
(female)

pauline46 HB Userpauline46 HB User

Thank you for this thread. It's good to know I am not alone and going crazy.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
(female)

willow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB Userwillow71 HB User

digestive problems? Oh yes - for about 2 years now. Its aweful but something I live with daily AND take meds for daily now...oh joy

Old 03-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #15
(female)

salanna HB User

hi worrybucket
I have all your symptoms especially the internal vibrations wow I'm so glad i'm not the only one with this, when it first happened I thought I was dying or having a heart attack! I haven't had a period in a year so thats a plus but apparrantly the symptpms can last ages but I've started seeing a homoeopath and she gives me a strong rescue remedy which helps a bit.I had terrible mood swings and she helped a lot with that.I would strongly recommend a homoeopath Salanna

Closed Thread