It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
(female)

menopause49 HB User
Spotting now but no period for six months....

OK, here's the thing - thought I was starting menopause, half way to that magic twelve months with no period.

A little history: over the last year, I've been taking Crestor for high cholesterol - it's working great - but I go for bloodwork & urine tests every three months. Off and on during the year, I've had microscopic amounts of blood in my urine - not visible.

I went for an ultrasound, kidneys, bladder, and all the lady parts with some sort of scope. All results good. So then, off to the urologist for a cystoscopy of my bladder. That was 8 days ago. No complications afterwards.

I also take 450mg of Effexor daily - have been for years now. Last Saturday, I received a call from my Dad advising that he is not only battling prostate cancer now - he has spine, bowel and lung cancer. So it's been a pretty stressful week needless to say.

Yesterday, I was seeing a bit of blood whenever I wiped after urination - just enough to make the toilet paper pink, nothing more. More so in the morning and subsided during the day.

Today I am still having it and am wearing light coloured underwear so I am noticing that now I do have some spotting.

I am due for my pap test this month - I had one last year and everything was fine.

I've also been smoking for the last year and half off and on....trying very hard to quit - I'd actually quit over 15yrs ago and due to stressful situation in my life - started again (dumb ole me!!!) and now I'm really struggling with it.

I'm slightly overweight and have been dieting but healthy.

So that's pretty much my history.

So, after six months without any period (before that I was getting one every 20 or 21 days for about six months!) and now some slight blood on the toilet paper, more like spotting today..... all tests have been good. Could it be the stress of my Dad's condition? Could it be just my uterine wall thinning??

Thoughts please.....

Last edited by menopause49; 02-18-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User
Re: Spotting now but no period for six months....

Hi Meno49,

Welcome to the board!!

Are you certain that the blood is vaginal bleeding and not in your urine? After having a bladder cystoscopy it's possible to have blood in the urine. Perhaps inserting a tampon to see if it is vaginal bleeding might help. If it is vaginal, unfortunately you have to start all over again with the meno phase. Make sure you tell your gyno about the spotting, they will probably due an ultrasound and perhaps biopsy, but thats pretty much standard procedure. Stress definitely can bring on periods and let me just say I am so sorry for the stress that you are experiencing and I hope everything will be okay with your Dad.

Just some thoughts, take care and my prayers are with you and your Dad.
Missy

Old 02-19-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
(female)

menopause49 HB User

Thankyou Missy for your reply.
It's definitely vaginal bleeding, but very very light (I used a tampon like you suggested).
My mind is working overtime now and I'm stressed that I might half a cyst, or cancer.
I have an anxiety disorder but haven't needed my meds for quite some time now - I think this past week has shown me that I may need them again.
I had an ultrasound of the lady parts, as well as kidneys and bladder, back in October I believe it was - that was because of the microscopic blood in the urine, off and on. My doc sends her patients for cystoscopy if two urine tests in a row show blood - despite the fact I had a clear one after that. I've also had protein in my urine off and on.
The cystoscopy was over a week ago and was also normal.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Meno49,

Okay, now we know it's vaginal and that's okay, alot of women here will go for months with no period only to start again. It's very common! Please try not to stress over it, I know that's easier said then done. Just because you have a light spotting does NOT mean that you have a cyst or cancer, it could just mean that you still are ovulating. Go to your gyno appt. and just tell them what's happening. You are under alot of stress in your life right now. When we start this menopause phase many of us think we are all done with periods just to have one pop up months later. You only want to worry when you haven't had one in over a year and then begin to bleed.

Everything is going to be okay, just go in and see what your gyno has to say. We all worry when things pop and scare the witts out of us.

Take care and keep us updated.

Missy

By the way, any chances of bladder infections or kidney stones detected? Also, have you had your blood sugars checked lately. That could cause an increase in protein in the urine.

Last edited by missy222; 02-19-2011 at 10:33 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to missy222 For This Useful Post:
menopause49 (02-19-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
(female)

menopause49 HB User

Thanks once again Missy... no on the bladder infection or kidney stones. I'm not sure if my blood sugar was part of the bloodwork or not. I had my bloodwork and urine done again last week and will be going in for the results for that as well next week.

I will stay in touch and let you know how that goes.

Closed Thread