It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
(female)

suzypickles HB User
Is this typical for perimenopause?

Is this the onset of menopause or could it be something more serious?
I have for many years had issues with functional cysts that resolve themselves over a couple of cycles. I have learned to recognize the symptoms quite easily over the years. I am 50 years old, and have been told for the last 2 or 3 years that irregularities in my cycle are related to pre-menopause.
Last October I experience very severe (almost debilitating) back pain the night before my period began. I had never experienced anything like this before. My regular cycle has been about 23 days for the past few years. For the next three cycles I experienced the same back pain just before my period began. The last time I had a "regular" period was January 15th. On February 10th the back ache started again, but added to the mix was a pain in my left side that felt very much like the ovarian cyst pain I am so used to. I expected that my period was about to start but nothing transpired. The back pain continued as did the pain in my side. On February 25th I thought my period was finally arriving. I experienced a slight amount of blood stained discharge and then some dark brown thickish discharge and that was it.
Over the last 2 weeks the pain in my back and side has become quite consistent. The pain in my side seems to increase with activity, especially if I am lifting or bending The back pain has become so bad that I have found it difficult to sit for very long.
The last 3 days I have started to feel what I would consider "unwell" as well. By the time the day is done, my entire body hurts and I have been reduced to tears as a result. Now the side pain seems to also be going down into my groin and radiating down my leg - almost as if something is pressing on a nerve. In addition I have excessive gas and a some pain under my ribs.
I feel like my body is preparing for the worlds worst period - but nothing happens.
Is this how women feel when menopause finally hits?
I am sure many of you out there understand why I haven't gone "running" to the doctor. I often feel that woman in our age group are not taken seriously and its easy for a doctor to say " these kind of things happen to women of your age". You feel stupid for even worrying that something more serious may be wrong.
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
The back pain is definitely related to my cycle, it's the type of pain that feels like pelvic cramps in the back. I had another episode of light bleeding shortly after my post, and then finally on March 17th I got my period. Very heavy and painful for 2 days, (I had to take a day off work) and then trailed off for the next couple of days. The best part was that once I had my period the back and side pain went away I was hopeful things had resolved.
Now here we are exactly 2 weeks later, and I have started with a light flow again. This is getting very tiresome now. My doctor was involved in a skiing accident and has not been at work for several weeks now and I really feel its important to see a doctor that will be providing me with on going care.
Of course I am nervous that there could be something more serious going on - I think that's a natural reaction. Time will tell I suppose. If you have any suggestions or ideas I'd appreciate the feedback.

Last edited by suzypickles; 04-01-2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: more informartion

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread