It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
(female)

vikkisings HB User
Smile Yet another very difficult phase of menopause

Hi everyone,

I have been through every difficult phase of menopause imaginable, and have been on this journey for 7 years. This is the latest one...Most evenings after I eat, I get a stomach ache, along with the internal shakes and hot flashes. I also get pain in my back and thighs, and I get cramps, as if I were going to start my period. I am 4 years post. It has been miserable! My doctor ordered a breath test a week ago to rule out a bacterial issue in my stomach. I also had some blood work done. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?? I am so ready to feel like a human being again. This has been a long haul...

Thanks for your input!

Old 06-13-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
(female)

georgina77 HB Usergeorgina77 HB Usergeorgina77 HB User
Re: Yet another very difficult phase of menopause

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikkisings View Post
Hi everyone,

I have been through every difficult phase of menopause imaginable, and have been on this journey for 7 years. This is the latest one...Most evenings after I eat, I get a stomach ache, along with the internal shakes and hot flashes. I also get pain in my back and thighs, and I get cramps, as if I were going to start my period. I am 4 years post. It has been miserable! My doctor ordered a breath test a week ago to rule out a bacterial issue in my stomach. I also had some blood work done. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?? I am so ready to feel like a human being again. This has been a long haul...

Thanks for your input!
Hiya vikki, yes i get the symptoms same as yourself they actually thought my problems were all stomach related when i 1st 'took ill'. i eat i get terrible stomach pains, and that then makes me not want to eat, you then get hungry, low sugar and feel worse. its a vicious circle.
The internal shaking, vibrating is probably my worst sympton at this time i feel like my skin has been set alight also. From readin a lot of these posts it seems like all you have mentioned is quite normal.
I hope you start to feel better soon, just good to know we are all in the same boat. hang in there.
take care Gina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
(female)

vikkisings HB User

Thank you so much for your response Gina! I kept thinking that maybe I was the only one going through this phase. It has been awful! I get hungry at night and need to eat something, but then the stomach ache and the internal shaking starts. Hoping to get through this phase and see a light at the end of the tunnel soon!

Thanks again, and I hope you feel better soon too!!

Old 06-15-2011, 12:14 AM   #4
(female)

Hiya vikki and no problem, sometimes all we need to help us a tiny bit is to feel like we are normal, and not just imagining or inventing these weird happenings. Thats why i love reading this forum as who knows better just what this time does to our bodies than the ladies suffering it?. I have seen so much head scratching from doctors, mostly male i may add, who say " no no there is no such symptom" well try telling my body that lol. Can i ask if you used HRT at all and if it made a difference to your quality of life?. I am only peri and cant imagine 7 more years living like this, i use the word living very loosely, as it feels like the day i took ill my life up and left me. Also did or do your symptoms only happen around the time of your cycle? as mine seem to be there most of the month in some form, but very much exagerated about the time of my cycle. Ty in advance for any reply....... Gina

Old 06-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
(female)

vikkisings HB User

I agree, the male doctors just don't get it! Since menopause is a major attack on the nervous system, it can cause symptoms that most male doctors have never heard of. When my symptoms first began, my doctor thought I had peripheral artery disease, because all the things that were happening sounded like PAD to him...yikes! Because of my sensitive stomach, I can't even consider HRT. I have read that some women are helped by it, and others say they don't notice any difference. As with you, the day all of this suffering started, I have not felt like I am really me. Along with the physical suffering, I have dealt with bouts of depression, which is very common during this time of life. Also, I lost weight when all this started, and have not gained any of it back! Anyway, I hope and pray that I turn the corner soon! I hope that for you too! Hopefully, you will get through it more quickly than I have!

Old 06-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #6
(female)

Hiya again oh well am just off to see female gyny in a hour, fingers crossed i get some answers. I also lost weight vikki in 1 month i lost 4 stones and have lost a further 1 and half stones in past 6 months. I too feel the emotional strain and im trying to control the anxiety and panic which takes over when im in ' a turn', as i call it. The feeling of my heart racing the whooshing in my ears and the terrible heat seems to make me have adreneline rushes which then set me off panicking, i now walk about telling myself" im not dying and it will pass". Hope no one ever hears me im sure i would be taken off to the lunatic asylum lol. Well i hope today sees you feeling well talk soon.... gina

Old 06-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
(female)

vikkisings HB User

Hi Gina!

I hope it went well and that you got some answers at your appointment! I too have the fast beating heart, and the ear ringing and whoosing! When you add in the stomach issues and the internal shaking, it makes you feel like you are dying fo sure! I take a very low dose Ativan each evening for the anxiety. It helps to calm me down a little. I also eat yogurt every night, as it seems to calm my tummy. Not as much as I need, but it helps some. None of my friends have suffered nearly as much as I have, so they don't understand how it is to feel bad every day. By the way, my mom is 80 years old, and she still gets hot flashes at times...yikes! I hope I don't take after her in that regard.

Let me know how it went with your gyny!

Vikki

Old 06-17-2011, 02:16 AM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikkisings View Post
Hi Gina!

I hope it went well and that you got some answers at your appointment! I too have the fast beating heart, and the ear ringing and whoosing! When you add in the stomach issues and the internal shaking, it makes you feel like you are dying fo sure! I take a very low dose Ativan each evening for the anxiety. It helps to calm me down a little. I also eat yogurt every night, as it seems to calm my tummy. Not as much as I need, but it helps some. None of my friends have suffered nearly as much as I have, so they don't understand how it is to feel bad every day. By the way, my mom is 80 years old, and she still gets hot flashes at times...yikes! I hope I don't take after her in that regard.

Let me know how it went with your gyny!

Vikki
Hiya Vikki,
Sounds like we have all the smae symptoms, and i understand what you mean about friends, a lot of my close friends are a fair bit younger than myself and peri/meno must seem like a distant thing for them, altho they have been very supportive i must add. Not tried yoghurt but might give it a go, as i too have had maybe 6 completely sympton free days in 8+ months i will try anything.
Got to my appoitment yesterday and due to over booking i got a 1st year student.. great. The nurse who was in on the exam was very good thou and said she herself had suffered very badly with symptoms. They took a small section of cells from inside my uterus as my uterine wall is apparently very thick, and i now have a booking for a hysteroscopy they also want a more detailed look at my left ovary which has some cysts. During the next meeting they have said they would like to insert a mirena coil but told me to go home and read up on benefits n side effects so as to make a informed decision.
I am considering asking for something to help with the anxiety myself, just worried about the possibility of becoming dependant.
Wow i really hope you dont suffer the same fate as your mum, to think that maybe these horrible sensations would continue that long is just mind blowing . Well vikki off out for a few hours take care and have a good symptom free day............. gina

Old 06-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Vikkisings,

You said you were 4 years in meno (so therefore 4 years without your period right?) and I am 3 years post. The stomach issues when I was in peri , especially leading up to the year my period stopped, were the worst symptoms for me. It also brought about the most anxiety and anxiety was an issue anyway during that time. I have to say although things have got way better since stopping my period, in that the symptoms do not come as often or as intensely , I still now and then have them rear their ugly head!! At this time, it is one of those times.

I don't have the internal shakes nor have I ever had them (although I know a lot of friends that did) but I am having some twingey feelings in my upper stomach area as I used to get and more having to go to the bathroom, etc. It is not just in that upper area , it extends down a bit and I used to get it often in peri. So I know it is not gall bladder or anything like that as it would be way more painful for one. But even though I have experienced it before it still makes me anxious, which I know does not help.

I empathize with you with just wanting to feel normal again as it does wear one down. I know we have estrogen receptors in our stomach (read that in the book The Pause) and the fluctuating hormones can affect us like that.

Interestingingly my gyn also told me that when my pelvis is unaligned (which it sometimes is due to back issues) that it can affect the intestinal area , so I am keeping that in mind too as my back and pelvis have been giving me problems lately too (going to a chiro for that and have been for awhile).

Know I probably did not help but sometimes it just helps to know that others have been there and can empathize.

Hope you feel better soon,

rmc12

Old 06-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
(female)

vikkisings HB User
Thank you RMC! Your post is very helpful. Yes, I am 4 years post, and have been through every phase imaginable in the last 7 years. This lastest one with the stomach ache after eating at night has been really miserable. It is even worse if I drink milk, so I have stopped, and am just drinking water. I go to the bathroom more too. I didn't know about the unaligned pelvis. I did know about the estrogen receptors in the stomach. My doctor had me get some blood work done 2 weeks ago, so I am going on Monday morning for the follow-up. I feel kind of anxious too, because all through menopause, such strange things have happened, I always think I am not going to make it through!

I hope your back will get better and that you will feel better too! Thanks so much for your input!

Hi georgina77,
It sounds like a lot was done for you yesterday. It will be good have those tests done, so you know what is going on. I'm not sure what a mirena coil is? I have a uterine fibroid, which I have had for several years. The doctor told me I didn't have to do anything about it, unless there was some bleeding. Monday I go for the follow-up from my blood tests, and then I am going to make my appointment for my female tests. As gor the anxiety, I find that the low dose Ativan that I take helps to relax me in the evenings. I only take one at night, and the doctor is ok with it. It does help to calm the anxiety, and it is worth it to me, since all of the other suffering has been so hard to deal with.

Be sure and let me know your hysteroscopy goes, and the other tests as well. I hope we can be feeling better soon. I am so weary! I know you are too.

Vikki

Last edited by Mod-S4; 08-12-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

HI Ladies! Just thought I would drop in and say I have the same things too. I am 46 and been going throught the symptoms for a few years. Right now I am having a terrible time with bloating and cramping...it feels like a horrible period will start and I am not due for one for another couple of weeks. It scares me because it makes me think I have the symptoms of ovarian cancer

I just had a pelvic ultra sound 6 months ago and they found 2 small uterine fibroids that they weren't concerned about. But gee...all this worries me. I am getting to where I only have a few good days a month. The rest are filled with bloating, cramps, hotflashes, anxiety, surges and electric shock sensations in my body. Please tell me that I am not crazy. I stopped going to the doctor every week because it looks like I am going nuts. The doctor says I am overy sensative to all my body sensations.

I just wanted to say I understand you all. Thanks!

Old 06-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
(female)

vikkisings HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEdds83 View Post
HI Ladies! Just thought I would drop in and say I have the same things too. I am 46 and been going throught the symptoms for a few years. Right now I am having a terrible time with bloating and cramping...it feels like a horrible period will start and I am not due for one for another couple of weeks. It scares me because it makes me think I have the symptoms of ovarian cancer

I just had a pelvic ultra sound 6 months ago and they found 2 small uterine fibroids that they weren't concerned about. But gee...all this worries me. I am getting to where I only have a few good days a month. The rest are filled with bloating, cramps, hotflashes, anxiety, surges and electric shock sensations in my body. Please tell me that I am not crazy. I stopped going to the doctor every week because it looks like I am going nuts. The doctor says I am overy sensative to all my body sensations.

I just wanted to say I understand you all. Thanks!
Hi Tedds, Vikki here. I am 4 years post, and still suffering with many things (as you probably read in my initial post). I have had a uterine fibroid for several years. The internal shaking begins as soon as I finish a meal. Then, in about an hour, my stomach starts to hurt and the feeling of bugs crawling on my skin begins too. I always thought that I would feel better after a few years with no period, but that has not been the case. I guess while estrogen levels are still dropping, some of us continue to suffer. You definitely are not crazy! So many strange things can happen to our bodies during this time of life. I see the docotor tomorrow morning to see hou my blood tests came out. I'm always a little anxious about follow-up appointments, because of how bad I have felt for so long. Hang in there and feel better!!

Vikki

Old 06-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Good luck with your test results Vikki, let us know how things come out.
I know its so frustrating. We are in this together. One day I have certain symptoms and then another day its on to something different. Today the bloating and cramping is better...but my allergies are flaring up. I have year round allergies and they are worse during peri. Ugh! I lost my insurance to I haven't been able to afford my allergy shots.

Do you notice if you have bad allergies? Do you ever have surges or feel like your chest gets tight? Kind of like anxiety and a tight chest. I get winded alot coming up my stairs and it makes me feel like I am terribly out of shape. I workout all the time and I am 20 pounds overweight. I can't seem to get the peri belly off. It's all in my stomach. But being winded scares me. Heck I just want to get throught a day without some kind of symptoms. Every night I am in the bathroom rubbing progesterone creams on my thighs. lol

I feel like I am turning into shrek. lol Just thick...overweight...thinning hair, hot flashes, mood swings, no period, heavy period food cravings...on and on I could go.

I am here to talk anytime. Good luck tomorrow and don't be scared. It will all work out. hugs! Tammy

Old 06-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #14
(female)

Hiya to you both,
i can assure you that you arent nuts or going nuts tammy altho sometimes it does make me feel like i am. I have had a fairly good weekend, sensations still there but nothing too debilitating, and then boom i wake this morn after very little sleep to a chest and arm full of hives, bloating internal shakes n nausea, and pain under my ribcage right and left side. It feels like "ok you've had a taste of semi normality, now back to normal ya go". Since my exam and biopsy thursday i have had a bleed and not sure if its period related or just cos ive been messed about with inside. I too have changing symptoms everyday, and yes i feel breathless and tight chested somedays, just walking up a flight of stairs starts my heart racing like ive taken part in a marathon.
I hope your tests went well vikki, please let us know what was said. It is good that we have someone we can talk to as it reasures me everyday that i am not alone. Id like to think 1 day i will look back on this time and laugh, but that seems so far away from truth at this time. Take good care of yourselves.... gina

Old 06-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #15
(female)

vikkisings HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgina77 View Post
Hiya to you both,
i can assure you that you arent nuts or going nuts tammy altho sometimes it does make me feel like i am. I have had a fairly good weekend, sensations still there but nothing too debilitating, and then boom i wake this morn after very little sleep to a chest and arm full of hives, bloating internal shakes n nausea, and pain under my ribcage right and left side. It feels like "ok you've had a taste of semi normality, now back to normal ya go". Since my exam and biopsy thursday i have had a bleed and not sure if its period related or just cos ive been messed about with inside. I too have changing symptoms everyday, and yes i feel breathless and tight chested somedays, just walking up a flight of stairs starts my heart racing like ive taken part in a marathon.
I hope your tests went well vikki, please let us know what was said. It is good that we have someone we can talk to as it reasures me everyday that i am not alone. Id like to think 1 day i will look back on this time and laugh, but that seems so far away from truth at this time. Take good care of yourselves.... gina
Hi Tedds and Gina,
Well, my blood work came back perfectly normal. The only thing it showed was that I have a low calorie count, which he said is not alarming. He understands it though, since I have not been able to eat much at night for about 6 months now. Also, I am very thin, but my weight has stayed the same for several years. He said my difficult digestive symptoms are consistent with IBS, however, the internal shaking and hot flashes are definitely related to menopause. He is going to have me try Levsin to see if it will aid in my digestive troubles. Now I need to figure out what to eat at night. As Gina said previously, we get hungry, we eat, the stomach pains start, and it just seems like a vicious cycle... ALSO, you both mentioned tightness in the chest. I get that a lot at night too. My ears ring, my heart beats really fast, I have a feeling of bugs crawling on my skin, and it goes on and on!! When they said hormones affect every inch of our bodies, from head to toe...they were right!! I hope we all can begin to feel better. I have to try to take it one day at a time. Have a good day you two, and keep me posted on how you are feeling.
Vikki

Closed Thread