It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
(female)

Liabug HB User
Had a D & C Yesterday...

Hello all - You have all been so helpful to me that I thought I would share so that maybe my experience could be of use.

I am a 49 year old (50 in 3 weeks) wife, empty-nest (almost) mom, soon to be grandma (1.5 weeks away) and H. S. English teacher. May and June were miserable for me due to anxiety, panic attacks, depression, wacky periods, etc. I barely was able to finish grades, close up my classroom, and so forth. I even missed work a couple days when I just could not teach due to these symptoms. I tried Lexapro, Xanax, and an internet non-drug program on banishing anxiety. I tapered off those meds, sought a refund on the internet program, and am now only taking natural supplements for the peri-meno symptoms which I read about on this site.

On top of all this, I am in an 11 month long mild UC flare that is coming, it seems, to an end (I hope). Stress makes the flare worse, so it is really imperative that I try to be as Zen as possible. I take Lialda and Canasa for UC.

Around June 14 I started a period that would become one of those horrible epic "flooding" and clotting events - so horrible that I didn't want to leave the house for fear of an accident. When it just wouldn't stop (15 days), I went to a GYN. He examined me and recommended a D & C. He said it would be the best way to a) stop the bleeding and b) rule out a serious cause (such as a cancer). I really did not want to hear that - I was terrified at the thought of that kind of procedure, and even more terrified they would find something horribly wrong. Although, based on what I've read on this board, so many women have my symptoms, I feel it's peri-meno for sure.

I'm glad I made this decision because my bloodwork came back saying I was well on my way to anemia if it didn't stop.

Friday morning at 6 am I went to an outpatient surgery center for the procedure. It was done under general anesthesia and took about 10 to 15 minutes. I was home by 8 am. While that does sound like a long time, most of it was prep and recovery. I don't want to minimize my nervousness; I was a wreck, didn't sleep the night before, and prayed a lot (which I always do anyway, but I think I had the Lord on speed-dial all this week). The folks there were very nice and comforting, which helped a lot.

I came home, and following directions, laid down for the rest of the day. While I had some initial bleeding and light cramps (nothing I had to take anything for), by 3 pm the bleeding stopped altogether. As of today, about 30 hours later, I have not bled at all.

I will find out in 2 weeks what pathology has to say about the lab work. Something to still be nervous about, though I try not to be. I'm still taking it easy today - I sat on a chair in my patio to clip back my raised herb garden and that's about it. I'm looking forward to once again having intimacy with my DH, and not having to be afraid I will soak through my pants

So, that's my story.

I wish all of my fellow peri-meno ladies well. Blessings and good health to you all!

Liabug

The following user gives a hug of support to Liabug:
Ontario_redhead (07-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: Had a D & C Yesterday...

I was exactly in your position back in November of last year- having constant intermenstrual spotting and bleeding, heavy periods, etc.
Although I'm only 38, I thought I was in perimenopause.
But with all the irregular bleeding, I became concerned that I might have endometrial cancer, or at least endometrial hyperplasia (a precancerous condition).
My doctor did a transvaginal ultrasound, and she said my endometrial stripe was very thick (2 cm), but that was not necessarily a significant finding in a premenopausal woman.
Nevertheless, she wanted to do an endometrial biopsy.
At the last minute, she changed her mind (I was never sure why), and decided that she'd rather put me to sleep and do a D&C and hysteroscopy (where they look inside your uterus with a tiny camera), so she could get a really good sample and figure out what was going on.
Anyway, the D&C went well, and when I woke up, she told me that she had found an endometrial polyp inside my uterus and removed it.

Then I settled in for the terrible 2-week wait for results.
I didn't bleed much after the D&C, just a tiny bit of spotting. I felt well enough to go to a movie the following night.
Anyway, I finally got my results- the polyp was benign, my endometrial lining was healthy- no cancer, not even hyperplasia.
Apparently, the polyp was what was making me have all that abnormal bleeding and spotting.
I did not have any further abnormal bleeding, and two months after my D&C, I got pregnant. I am now almost five months along in a healthy pregnancy.

So... I understand the terror you're going through.
It's scary to have abnormal bleeding, and also terrifying to wait for test results.
But mine turned out just fine, and chances are yours will too.

Considering your age, have you considered endometrial ablation?
It's where they destroy the lining of your uterus so that you don't bleed anymore.
Assuming everything turns out fine with your lab results, you might discuss this option with your doctor.
A couple of years ago, a friend of mine was having a difficult menopause with constant bleeding and unpredictable heavy flooding episodes. She had all the usual tests, and finally opted for an ablation. She says it was the best decision she ever made.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Mod-S4; 07-27-2011 at 10:05 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kali333:
Ontario_redhead (07-02-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Kali333 For This Useful Post:
Liabug (07-03-2011)
Old 07-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
(female)

Ontario_redhead HB User
Smile Re: Had a D & C Yesterday...

Liabug,

Endometrail ablation saved my life! Likely my sanity too! lol

I will be 40 in 3 weeks and I have had psycho-heavy periods for YEARS due to a severe hypothyroid (was born w/o thyroid gland and hormone tabs not being absorbed properly) problem. I would hemorrage LITERALLY everytime I had a period. I lost count of how many D and C's I've had over the years. I came to terms with the fact that I can't have kids, years ago. Due to other severe medical issues, hysterectomy is simply NOT a safe viable option for me (less than 50% survival rate predicted) but neither were more D and C's. I was becoming too anemic.

So my gyn (who is an AMAZING guy btw- treats patients like people-not walking symptoms) had a long talk and decided that ablation would be the safest option for me right now.

WOW! What a HUGE difference it has made. Before the surg, I was getting 2 periods (or as I called em "holy !%$#^%!&^$@%&! Not Again!!!! lol) a month for 4 months in a row where the pain and flow kept me pretty much in bed for the duration (when I wasn't in hosp that is).

I had my surgery on April 4th. I ended up in hosp for an extra couple of days but it was due to a complication that had ZIP to do with the surgery-(was something from a different medical condition I had) but most women go home within about 2 hours.
Since my surg I've now had 2 periods.

Pre-Surg: 7-10 days of pure hell-half box of pads per HOUR
Post Surg: 2-3 days light cramping -half box pads per cycle

If you are done with childbearing, I HIGHLY recommend Ablation.
I only wish I'd known about it sooner. Could have saved myself from a LOT of D and C's.

If you want more info on how it's done, let me know and I will talk ya through it. I know you have a lot of anxiety but you;ll be so much happier and have a LOT more freedom in your life.

Take care. I'll be thinkin bout ya!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ontario_redhead For This Useful Post:
Kali333 (07-03-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
(female)

Liabug HB User

Wickedredhead ~ Thanks much for that info! I think if this "flooding" happens again I will consider ablasion. It only happened one other time, about a year ago, so I don't think I am there yet.

I've had normal periods my whole life (after the crazy irregular teen years, that is!) so this came out of nowhere.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #5
(female)

Liabug HB User

Thanks for the encouragement, Kali333. I woke up this morning feeling peace for the first time in weeks, then remembered that I'm not out of the woods until I get those results. I also went to the bathroom and found that I was spotting a very tiny bit. After having it shut off like a faucet Friday - Saturday, I was a little concerned, but maybe I did too much yesterday? I guess I'll just have to see how the day goes.
I would like to know more about ablasion - but maybe not yet. I want to see if this D & C took care of things first.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #6
(female)

Ontario_redhead HB User

Liabug,

If you want to get a better idea of what Endometrial Ablation is, go to this link.
It explains the procedure quite well. There are a few different methods. The one used on me was the Radio-Frequency one.

http://www.medicinenet.com/endometrial_ablation/article.htm

The Following User Says Thank You to Ontario_redhead For This Useful Post:
Liabug (07-03-2011)
Closed Thread