It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Unhappy Heavy bleeding. Should I be alarmed?

I started my period tonight after having only the light bleeding last month. It scared to see several silver dollar sized clots come out. I bleed right through the tampon. Yikes! I am afraid to go to sleep tonight for fear I might bleed to death. I think I need to up my progesterone. Should I be alarmed? Thanks for advice.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User
Re: Perimenopause: Bleeding 10 weeks now

Hi Tedds83,

Don't be alarmed it happens alot. A few months ago I started the big clotting thing. I would spot one month and then the next look out!! The clots can't hurt you. I was told that if they get larger than a chicken egg or if you completely soak up a maxi pad in less than 30 minutes, then it may be something you want to look into. I know I was freaked out to when it started to happen to me because I never had had large clots before only little ones. I prefer when I have the bad clots to avoid the tampons altogether and just use a maxi pad so the clots can just come out, I am afraid with a tampon they might get stuck up in there and that couldn't be good!!! So hang in there and get some sleep tonight, you're not going to bleed to death.

Take care,
Missy

Last edited by missy222; 11-15-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Thanks Missy! Whew! This has been a heavy period. These first 3 days having me bleeding like a teenager again. ARRGH! The clotting has pretty much subsided. It really freaked me out. I am getting my hormones tested and they may increase the progesterone which is suppose to stop the large clots. I don't know. But at least I am finding out from some of you that this can be normal. Yuck. I will try not to be anxious about it. Can't wait to be done with this one!

Old 12-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI Ladies! Im back again. Another period here in December. It started out light for 2 days then last night I woke up in a pile of wet PJs as I had a hot flash and cramps bleeding and clotting came on. UGH!! And clear into today I ache and am bleeding consist and moderate clotting, not too bad. But geez!! I am so frustrated! What the heck is going on with my body. It was silly thinking I would just have light periods and then have them fade away into no periods. I am now joining the heaving period clotting club. It makes me fear my period each month. I don't know if I should go have my iron checked each month. I am losing my insurance soon because my divorce will be final. It makes it hard thinking I can't afford to go to the doctor very much. We all want to feel like when can get the care that we need.

Anyone have any great idea's on reducing the bleeding and cramping? Thanks for any replies!

Old 12-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Tedda83,

Sorry to hear you're having another bad one! Some women have severe periods right before meno and some don't. It's hard to tell. I seem to be having bad ones too and wish they would just stop. Some things that help me with cramping are a hot water bottle on my lower abdomen or a hot bath. Nothing seems to help with the bleeding, just hang in there you're not alone. Two pads are my thing these days!!!!!

Make sure you are taking a multi-vitamin that has iron in it. Also, try to include foods that have iron in them. Red wine has alot or iron -- YEAH!!!!

Take care,
Missy

Last edited by missy222; 12-13-2010 at 08:22 PM.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the advice! I am just laying here on the couch with a blanket, movie and my laptop. Trying to calm myself because of course all this comes with anxiety. I ate raisen bran this morning. I heard those raisens have some good iron. I will make sure and get back on a multi vitamin. I have tried to take straight iron and it eats up my stomach. Such bad pains with that. I guess we just hang on for the ride huh? All the best to you too. Stay in touch!

Old 12-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

CaringMom HB User

Yes, I too am sorry to hear you're going through this. I've been on the boards some time back, same issues! I'm 46 and this year has been the devil for me!! Periods used to be right on the mark then they would come late, early, twice a month. This summer hot flashes hit hard. Nice that winter is here though. Had a late period in June, skipped July, one in August and just yesterday started again. Was so nice missing a few months. I too can have cramping and heavy bleeding or little of nothing! Our insurance should start up in January and I will need to go have things checked out. (It's been about 1 1/2 years since my last physical). I know a D&C was mentioned last time, but he wanted to wait and see how another year went. I know I have thyroid issues (low) that I need to have checked out again, and now have a spot on my arm (cancerous?). Seems everything goes to pot at once when insurance is not there. Husband lost his job.
Oh well -good luck to you!! Hope you're feeling better. Sorry to have ranted on.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for posting. I am so frustrated. I had a couple of days of really heavy painful clotting bleeding and then yesterday basically no bleeding. Then today it started up again with a little bleeding and some mild aching and cramps. I have an appt. with my regular doctor next week. Tomorrow I meet with a nurse practioner to get a new prescription for my biodentical progesterone hormone cream. I have been on it for 2 and a half years and it was working. But now after another saliva test my progesterone is 41 and it is suppose to be 300. So I am sure she will up the dose. Supposedly when your progesterone is too low you can have heavy periods and clot. "Estrogen dominance" I believe. I am still trying to figure this out. I hope I don't have to start losing my female parts. I have heard you can have a D and C or Alabation or something. Does anyone know about these procedures? Will they give me a chance to straighten out again with my creams? Just wanting to feel better. The cramps are the worst. Yuck!

Old 12-17-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
(female)

ruzalily HB User

TEdds83, I'm sorry you are going through the agony of all this perimenopause stuff, but you are definitely not alone. I wish I would have found this thread yesterday, when I was on the phone with the doctor at 5am because I thought I was bleeding to death. I'm 45 and must be going through peri. I've always had long periods but not really too heavy until about three years ago. They had also been regularly 30-32 days apart, now they are 16, 23, 41, and 4 days for the past four months! Sheesh! So I have gone through an "Ultra" size tampon every hour and a half for twelve hours, and then one every two to three hours for the next twelve hours. Had to sleep with a maxi as well as the ultra and change those every two hours, too. I was able to see a doctor (my regular gyn is retiring ) who slapped me on oral prometrium and methergine to slow or stop the bleeding, but she did so without even checking my hormone levels. She just said that I wasn't producing enough progesterone and was having anovulatory cycles. I am really against using hormones unless I know that I really need them, but she didn't want to test me. She also wanted to do an endometrial biopsy while I was laying in a puddle of blood on the exam table. When she told me that I could experience cramping, more bleeding and possible infection from the biopsy, I got the hell out of there. The prescriptions she gave me described pretty yukky side effects, so not wanting that on top of everything else, I opted out. So, I went home, called my mom and cried my eyes out, had a drink, and decided to wait it out. Today has been drastically different and my bleeding has slowed down a lot, but this has happened before and I expect it will pick up again tomorrow.

I know this is a really long post, but I would like to know if most docs check hormone levels before just giving out progesterone cream, birth control pills, etc., or if they just do it by trial and error? I'm paranoid of cancer and don't want to overload on hormones, but I'm paranoid of having too much estrogen and not enough progesterone, too. It sounds like you were tested at some point for hormones. A saliva test?

I am considering an endometrial ablation, too. I chickened out of it last December, because I had questions about the procedure that I didn't have answered before I went in for the procedure. I was going to have a cryoablation in the office instead of a balloon ablation in the hospital as an outpatient. The doctor says that they have about the same success rate, which is about 92% in cutting down on or eliminating bleeding all together. It takes about five to six months to see if the procedure will actually work. Also, the procedure makes it impossible to do any type of endometrial biopsy in the future, so if there is any suspicion of uterine cancer, the uterus can't be biopsied, it would have to be removed. So, there are some things to consider if you are interested in ablation as an option.

I had an ovary removed (cyst) in 2007 and a D & C at the same time, and I'm here to tell you that the D & C did nothing to cut down on my bleeding, not even for a short time. The doc said it is like mowing the lawn - it's quick maintenance but does nothing in the long term. Also, anyone having headaches with bleeding? As soon as I get going, the headache kicks in. I'm also anemic, taking two 65 mg. elemental daily. What fun this is.

So, I hope this helps a little. Ablation is an option, so is waiting it out on hormones. I am just not sure what's right for me yet. I wish you some relief, very soon!

Lily

Last edited by ruzalily; 12-17-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added information

Old 12-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for replying ladies! So how do we know if we have developed a fibroid? This is all such a new phase for me with the heavy periods. Here I thought I was going skate through with the light ones and be done. No such luck!

Today I went to my homeopathic nurse practioner and we went over my test results. My Progesterone is suppose to be 300. It is 41. I am now estrogin dominant which is what cause the heavy bleeding and clotting. I have BAD pain too. I asked her about the pain. She thinks it is my diet. I have too much sugar and caffeine in my diet which she says causes inflammation in the body and is exaserbated during period time. UGH! Plus I was informed I am gluten intolerant. UGH again! So I spent the afternoon at the health food store trying to figure out new things I can eat. I knew I had been feeling LOUSY for quite some time but geez! She says I can totally start feeling great again by changing my diet. By ridding my diet of mocha's, coke and sweets. I do agree! Not to mention losing at least 20 pounds that I would like to shed. I just pray this will work.

I am REALLY scared of having my period come next month. I am scared I will bleed heavy and painful. I am scared to go to sleep for fear I will bleed to death. I do feel weak after this period. I picked up some One a day vitamins and started those tonight. I have to be careful because my tummy is sensative to vitamins. I am allergic to more things as I have aged which is a pain in the toosh. I have even become allergic to wines. My face and chest break out all flushed. Not that I need to have a drink anyway.

All of this has brought on a lot of anxiety for me. Because I don't feel well I don't sleep well. I am afraid alot and worry that something is terribly wrong. It's like my mind isn't thinking straight and I can only see and feel the misery right infront of me. Does this make sense? I feel like I am not going to make it through this part of life. We go through it whether we want to or not.

I am on the Bio Identical hormone cream which is suppose to be safe. Its not like the HRT that the doctors hand out in pill form. Its natural and is not suppose to cause cancer. They use it from your own DNA or saliva to match. Mine was working like a charm for a couple of years...then I aged more and the progesterone level dropped. So now I have a new prescription.

So here we are together, going through this. I am so grateful to have all of you to talk to because I feel so alone. I don't really have anyone in person to talk to. Oh and do any of you have an itchy scalp? skin? burning sensations? Inflammation in your body? anxiety? food cravings? allergies? Because these are my symptoms as well as the weird periods and strange pains now and then in my cervix. I feel like I am falling apart. God help us!

Old 12-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

And Lily...I hope you are feeling better. I wish I had been here for you when you were going through all that. At least a new day brings some healing to the body. I am glad the bleeding has let up. Mine is pretty much gone today but I won't hold my breath. It could return. My friend had an ablation and said it was a great thing. I don't know anything about it. And I am scared to death of the hysterectomy thing. I want to try every option to get this dealt with before considering an operation. I will change my diet and remove the sweets and bad things or at least do it in moderation. Stay on vitamins and lose the weight. I think if we do our part and then if our body is still being troublesome see what else might need done. But I guess keeping the progesterone level up is really important to prevent the clotting and heaving bleeding. Just something to think about.

Last edited by TEdds83; 12-17-2010 at 09:57 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to TEdds83 For This Useful Post:
ruzalily (12-19-2010)
Old 12-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #12
(female)

ruzalily HB User

Thanks TE, for your support. As I suspected, my issues began again right before a road trip that I was taking with my husband and son yesterday. I loaded up on tampons and pads, brought a change of clothes, and sat on a towel the whole way there and back. This was for a six hour drive, three there and three back. Amazing that this controls our lives so much. It tapered off last night nicely, and I woke up in a puddle again this morning.

I agree with you, I need to look into the progesterone. Hopefully the new doctor that I am seeing on Jan. 5 will want to test my levels before just putting me on some mega dose of hormones like the last doctor did. I have had a headache every day since my heavy bleeding started, which makes me feel even worse. Are you having hot flashes at all? I don't have the actual flash, but I feel so over heated at night I have to kick off the covers and wait to cool off many times during the night. I'm also going to do what you are doing and improve my diet. Weight loss isn't an issue for me, but I have been eating a lot of sugar and dairy, and I've read that dairy makes premenopause symptoms worse. The only bit of advice that I will take from the last gyn I saw is to take a prenatal vitamin. I will look around today for something good and start on those, along with my iron.

It's so great to have people here to share with. I have been feeling so alone until now. Thanks again! Hugs, Lily

Old 12-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI Ladies! Merry Christmas! Just wanted to tell you I went to see my doctor about the last couple of heavy crampy periods. She is sending me to get an ultrasound next week. I would love to find out what's going on or to at least rule out things. Has anyone had a pelvic ultrasound? and what are they looking for? She mentioning checking to see if my uterus is thickening.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #14
(female)

Jany54 HB User

Sounds pretty normal to me and please try not to be scared because many of us are going through the exact same thing. Mine has last three months this time around but I'll be darned if I will worry myself over it. Have you tried a Vitamin K, you might have a defiency if its really heavy? I drink Red Raspberry Leaf tea and I can tell you it does make it a lot lighter and it is a blood builder with plenty of iron.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

It turns out I have 2 small uterine fibroids. My periods have been heavy and now I missed on completely. This is just wacky. I even bought a pregnancy test and it was negative. This perimenopause/meno is just crazy!

Closed Thread