It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
(female)

sandy0055 HB User
nausea anyone?

I found some really old posts confirming nausea is part of peri but wonder if there's anyone out there now going through this? Would also love to hear from anyone who had it but it got better--need something to look forward to! I have been nauseous for the past 10 months. I've had all kinds of tests and they can't find anything. My family doc says it's not a menopause symptom, but I think it is. It's like morning sickness, but much worse. I usually have some nausea every day, but some days it's just queasiness and chewing gum helps, other days it's so bad I can't function. Have been on oral progesterone but it isn't working or we don't have the right combination yet. Am awaiting results from a new saliva hormone test. I also have trouble sleeping (waking at 3-4 am everyday), restlessness, internal "buzz" and some headaches, but they're nothing compared to the nausea! Sometimes peppermints and peppermint gum help, but only if it's mild.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
(female)

Mandarra HB UserMandarra HB User
Re: nausea anyone?

Yes, count me in. I have sickening nausea, not every day, maybe a couple of times a week. Not much helps, all I can do is not eat until it passes. Any docTor I've seen never say it's peri. You are not alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
(female)

sandy0055 HB User

Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
(female)

cupcake88 HB User

I, too, have suffered off and on with nausea for over a year (among many other of the usual symptoms). Am 51 and things really hit me like a brick wall last year. Found Sea Bands to be quite helpful. Also ginger chew candy from Trader Joe's; and drinking peppermint tea have given me relief. Is the worse in the mornings and gets better by the afternoon. It is most frustrating to be told that it couldn't have anything to do with menopause--then why do pregnant women get morning sickness and it's chalked up to hormonal changes??? Hang in there and know that you are not alone with dealing with the many challenges we face going through the peri menopause journey

Old 09-02-2011, 02:37 AM   #5
(female)

buzdet HB User

I'm sure your nausea is associated with menopause. I've been suffering for months and couldn't continue working it got so bad! Every morning and most of the day feeling so awful then suddenly towards the afternoon/evening I would suddenly be fine! It caused me a lot of anxiety thinking I had something wrong. Waking up at the crack of dawn and heaving for most of the day led on to panic attacks in work til finally the GP signed me off. Have been taking HRT for a month and feeling a little better. Due back to work next week so that will be the test for me. Thought I was going mad until I researched and found that nausea can be part of menopause which my GP has confirmed. Wishing you all the best and try to remember that it will pass .......... eventually xxx

The Following User Says Thank You to buzdet For This Useful Post:
vicgirl (05-16-2012)
Old 09-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #6
(female)

sandy0055 HB User

You sound just like me--I actually had to get FLMA approved at work for when I needed to miss. I have since retired so at least that is better. I've also been on hormone therapy but is still not going great--we've just adjusted dosages. Are you taking oral progesterone? What HRT is working for you? Mine also is usually terrible in the morning and varied throughout the rest of the day and then subsides in the evening and I can eat fine. So sorry you are suffering with this but glad to know I'm not crazy.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:44 AM   #7
(female)

buzdet HB User

it's so reassuring to hear your experience. I have been so queasy at work so many times that I finally rushed to the GP in tears as I couldn't work out what was wrong with me, I just knew that I couldn't cope anymore! I was given anti- depressants and told to start taking them that evening by which time I felt fine, so didn't! The next morning I felt awful again but I still haven't taken them. I'm so nervous about returning to work, I still don't feel right. I'm taking Tridestra and apparently have to change it after 3 months. I am taking this reluctantly and only because in order to function at work. So far I have noticed a slight improvement in the hot flushes during the night but the day time nausea and low moods are still going on most days. Maybe it hasn't kicked in yet - I don't know. It's good that you don't have the worry of work now, I think there should be a period of time allowed similar to maternity leave for women like us I didn't know anyone who had suffered nausea until I really researched - so unfortunately I'm conscious that people think I'm making a big fuss about a natural cycle that lots of women cope perfectly well with! Oh dear thanks for being there and understanding. x

Old 09-04-2011, 05:19 AM   #8
(female)

sandy0055 HB User

I too, didn't know anyone who had suffered nausea during perimenopause, and none of the doctors I saw were familiar with it either. I have since learned of a couple of people through friends that are going through this (my gp still doesn't really believe it). I suffered through days at work with intense nausea many days--some days I went home for lunch to just to lie down for 10 minutes. I have never vomited. I lost a lot of weight, as I could barely eat most days. My doctor also prescribed anti-depressants. The internist I saw switched me to remeron--said it would help me sleep, increase my appetite (not necessarily a good thing when you're nauseous!) and help with anxiety. Well, I think it's good you are cautious about starting on them--if you really need them I'm sure they can help, but it was prescribed for me mainly for sleep. If I had researched it more I might not have started at all. I started out at only 1/2 the lowest dose and refused to increase, but am having a hard time getting off of it now--withdrawal symptoms are NAUSEA! I haven't really had hot flashes. I tried all the remedies mentioned on this board--teas, ginger caps, DGL licorice, lemon, etc. and none of it really worked. I have found a tea that helps calm my stomach if the nausea isn't severe--it's chamomile with lavender (calming and for nervous stomach). Have also found peppermint gum helps with anxiety and nausea and peppermints also help some. I feel for you having to go back to work. Hope things go better for you. I'm here if you need a sympathetic ear (my husband has been wonderful, but is hard for most of my friends and family to understand).

Old 09-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
(female)

buzdet HB User

Hi there, Just thought I'd let you know that I returned to work on Monday and had an amazing day! I was so shocked - I kept expecting to feel the familiar rise of nausea quickly followed by intense anxiety but all I had was one rather hot flush! The next day didn't start so well but I seemed to cope better and within a short time it all settled down again. Today was my third day back and it was great. Perhaps the HRT has kicked in or maybe the nausea has just stopped- I don't know. You are lucky to have a great husband, I have 2 very supportive daughters who have plied me with chamomile, mint and ginger teas since all this started! Chamomile is my favourite although fresh ginger is very kind to the stomach! Thank you for your support and please know that I am here for you too. Take care.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
(female)

vicgirl HB User
Unhappy Re: nausea anyone?

certainly glad to read your post as I have had exactly the same symptoms for months. Not everyday but a few times per week. Usually by the evening it just disappears as quickly as it appeared. It's exactly like the morning sickness I had when pregnant and it makes me feel whoozy in the head. I'm 56 and doc says I'm post menopausal. I'm wondering if you've found anything that's really helpful since your post last September. Gravol helps but I can't take that during the day or I'll be falling asleep. Thanks

Old 05-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
(female)

sandy0055 HB User

I wish I could tell you I found the magic solution to the nausea, but after 1 1/2 years I'm still dealing with it. It's definitely not as severe as it was, and after a few good months I had a couple where it came back a little more. Now it's settling down again, but I still have some queasiness everyday--time of day varies too. I've tried everything, and some things work sometimes but not all the time. If I'm queasy, chewing peppermints or peppermint gum helps and sometimes tea or lemon in hot water. The naturopath pharmacist where I get my progesterone thinks it's caused by the liver being overloaded with fluctuating hormones and gave me a natural liver detox (dandicomp). I can't say it really helped--is hard to know since the nausea fluctuates so much anyway. I am now 4 months without a period (went over 6 months though last year and started again). I was hoping it would go away completely when I reach full menopause, but you say you are post menopausal and have it? Did you have it before you menopaused? I have heard some women say it returns at times after menopause.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
(female)

vicgirl HB User
Smile Re: nausea anyone?

Thank you for your reply.

Well another day at work with the nausea. Spent my lunch hour googling "nausea like morning sickness but not pregnant". Lots of interesting stuff to read there. Check it out.
Thought you might be interested in a few of the things I read about:

1. Postural Orthostatic tachycardia syndrome.....this one really sounded like me. Especially the part where they mention that taking vitamin B12 and eating salt helps relieves it. I actually discovered that myself, although it does say B12 injections, not oral B12. I have found many times if I take B12 under the tongue and eat some salt or something salty this helps a lot. Also I quite often have a rapid heart beat when getting up.

2. Helicobactor Pylori can also cause these symptoms.

3. Thyroid hormones, same symptoms.

So I'm going to the doctors again next week armed with this info and I'm going to ask for him to rule these things out.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
(female)

sandy0055 HB User

I sure feel for you having to put up with that at work--I retired last year, but worked with extreme nausea for 9 months before that. I've had every medical test in the book and they've ruled out everything, including thyroid, gall bladder, H-Pylori, food allergies and the most terrifying--pancreatic cancer! I'm glad I had all the tests so I at least know it's nothing serious, and after reading through the history of posts on it on this site, I know we're not alone, I just hope there is an end to it. I hadn't heard of B12 helping, but was given B6 (that's what they give pregnant women for morning sickness). It didn't really work for me, but I still do sometimes take an extra B complex.

I hope you get some answers, and some relief.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #14
(female)

sssvacina HB User

me, nauseated a lot!!! diarhhea too. It's horrible, about like my brain fog, I can't spell. Hang in there. Drinking less coffee and lots of water helps me.

Closed Thread