It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
(female)

cyntax HB User
Question Hormone therapy just delay menopause?

If I use hormone therapy for two years am I just delaying the hot flashes etc. by two years?

Do the hot flashes etc. come back worse after you stop hormone therapy?

I'm sorry if these are dumb ?'s

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
(female)

lorijo822 HB User
Re: Hormone therapy just delay menopause?

Hi Cyntax-

I went on HRT for terrible hot flashes/night sweats about 6 years ago at the age of 48, right about the time the big WHO study came out. I didn't care--I was so miserable I felt like I would rather not go on living than continue that way.

Anyway, I'm still on Premphase. I tried a few times to go off HRT but I was just as miserable as I was before starting it. I don't think this is at all related to being on the hormones themselves, though, in answer to your question--I don't believe going on hormones makes hot flashes worse later, and doesn't delay the duration. Your ovaries' production of estrogen is going to "poop out" whether you're taking oral hormones or not.

Lately, I've oddly been having significant hot flashes and night sweats even while on the hormones (however, I'm thinking this could possibly be thyroid related, as I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and am now on replacement therapy). Some women can go on HRT for only a short time and come off and be flash-free. Often you can look to the trend of your immediate family for what to expect, but not always (as in, what did your mother, grandmother, sisters go through?). At the same time, I've talked to a number people who were well into their 70's who were still experiencing hot flashes and night sweats off of hormones.

I hope this helps and hasn't just confused you more.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 06-09-2013 at 05:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

For most women, yes, you are just delaying the inevitable. I've been on HRT for almost 9 years and am not considering getting off. Just can't deal with it.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
(female)

tootired2care HB User

I'm 55 and have been taking estrogen for 10 years (menopause then complete hysterectomy). Two years ago, I decided to try a cheaper generic estrogen (instead of Premarin). It was estropipate. During those 2 years, I gradually developed severe acid reflux and Gerd symptoms along with hoarseness and a lump in my throat feeling. I never thought about the cheaper estrogen causing it until my daughter told me that she cannot take birth control due to acid reflux problems. The light bulb in my head came on and I talked to my docto about switching back to Premarin 1-1/2 months ago. Guess what - no more acid reflux. If I feel this good with just switching back, I decided to find out how good I would feel if I weaned myself off Premarin. Its been 2 weeks of taking a
.625 pill one night, then next night taking a 1/2, then vice versa. The hot flashes and night sweats are coming back (I woke up 3 times last night) but I am determined to get off this stuff. Intend to add an herbal mix (black cohash, evening primrose, etc.) as needed but will try to hold off until I reduce my Premarin to 1/2 a pill every night. That will be about a month from now because I'm trying to do this very gradually. Anyone else have any experience with this? Any suggestions?

Closed Thread