It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
(female)

rube446 HB User
Question Perimenopause?

I'm 39 and am wondering if I'm in perimenopause. A lot of the symptoms I've read about I have. My doctor said she could do a hormone test but depending where you are in your cycle would only prove that at the point the test was taken that those particular hormones were higher or lower. And that they could be vice versa at a different time of the month. She didn't say I didn't have it, but she made it sound like it was highly unlikely. I'm not so sure.

Anywho...this is what I'm experiencing:
  • serious attitude (anger, depression, anxiety, stress, mood swings...I think I have them all )
  • lighter periods (only about 2 days), but still on schedule
  • digestive issues
  • my breasts are going berserk now with cysts and other fiber issues
  • sex drive, very low
I don't have night sweats...I think. I remember waking up one night a month or two ago very hot and sweaty. It was cool in the house. But it was the only time I can think of.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: Perimenopause?

Hi, there!

Sounds like peri to me. I have all of the same symptoms minus the night sweats. My symptoms started when I turned 37. I'm 41 now. It wasn't until recently that my periods were shortened to 2 days, though. Still having it every month. I'd see a different doctor if I were you. Yes, the hormones fluctuate depending on the time of the month but that's no reason for her not to check them. You shouldn't have suffer through these symptoms either. Just curious, what did she suggest you do to alleviate them?

Last edited by kittywitty; 09-02-2011 at 07:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
(female)

rube446 HB User

she didn't suggest anything. I don't think she thinks I am in it. Oh well. I'm trying (sorta) to change my diet. At least knowing helps.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You should have your levels checked as close to the day before your period as possible. That's when the FSH reading will be closest to being correct.

Have you considered birth control pills? That could help you. My gyno simply changed my prescription when I was beginning to have symptoms and it took care of everything in 2 weeks time.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rube -

Before I got my levels checked for the first time, I took a herbal supplement called Estrotone that helped me a lot. It has black cohosh, chaste berry, evening primrose, and some others in it (can't remember all of them at the moment). As far as your diet, limiting your red meat intake is a good idea because red meat increases estrogen. That's something you definitely DON'T want at this time! If you do eat red meat, you should eat those that don't have added hormones or steroids. That goes for chicken too. Given your symptoms, your estrogen is most likely high in relation to your progesterone. Progesterone and testosterone are the first hormones to lower. Both of mine were in the toilet when I first got tested. My estrogen was only very slightly low. You really need to find a different doctor that will listen and take you seriously.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-10-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:02 AM   #6
(female)

rube446 HB User

titchou, thanks for the suggestion about the birth control pills. not sure what I'm going to do yet in that area.

kittywitty, I don't feel like I eat a lot of meat, but maybe it's more than I should. I've never been fond of the whole vegetarian or vegan thing, but it seems the best option for this stage of life. I'll give that supplement a go.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well, a vegan lifestyle isn't exactly good for you either. I read somewhere that we need some meat for our bones to be healthy. Just stay away from the overprocessed meats. Look for words like 'miniminally processed' or 'no added growth hormones or antibiotics'. I think you'll find the Estrotone very helpful, too. It was a life saver for me.

Closed Thread