It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
(female)

Janna125 HB User
Burning, dry mouth and tongue

I'm 47 years old. I still have regular periods, but I've had some signs I may be entering perimenopause. My periods are heavier and longer, I have night sweats, sleep issues, anxiety, vaginal dryness, and headaches. For about a week now, my mouth has felt terrible! My tongue and roof of mouth has felt a slight burning, but I did not burn it. My mouth is dry and has a bad taste. I read this can be related to menopause. Anyone else have this? How did you find relief?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
Re: Burning, dry mouth and tongue

I'm post menopausal but I never associated dry burning mouth with hormone loss but it effects everything else so it may be the cause. I do have that a lot but I think mine is usually from sinus infection or allergies. Some medications I've taken cause the burning & one of the meds is allergy pills. It seems I've heard of "dry mouth syndrome" that also causes those symptoms. I don't know what the prescribed treatment is but I have taken Neurontin or Ativan when I didn't think I could stand it any longer. Neurontin is for nerve pain & it seems to help. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
(female)

jorama HB User

I know exactly how you are feeling. For the past several weeks I also have a burning and bitter taste in my mouth. I have hot flashes, cold sweats, irritablity, fatigue, thinning hair and feel like total crap. I hope this will end soon. Being a women is tough!

Old 10-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
(female)

s cubed HB User

I get those feelings in my mouth too. Almost like an iron taste/bitter flavor. Plus the night sweats and overall weird feelings. I sometimes think it's stressed related and took to chewing gum. Alot of times when I chew on the gum I tend to concentrate more on that than my systems and miracle of miracles my systems seem to disapate. I'm not saying it's all in my head it's just my way of relaxing and it seems to help more times than not.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
(female)

thewhichisdead HB User

I have had BMS for at least 7 years and tried various remedies. I take clonazepam on my tongue at night which has helped the most besides keeping my mind occupied with other things. It is not fun. I just go one day at a time.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
(female)

hawkins6 HB Userhawkins6 HB User

I have had BMS for three years and am now taking Clonzapam three times a day. It helps for about two hours. Try a store bought mouthguard over your upper teeth and gum....that works best for me. We need to find some doctor somewhere who is knowledgeable regarding this condition. I had a hystro. over 10 years ago and am way past metipause.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
(female)

thewhichisdead HB User

I wear an oral appliance for sleep apnea so that helps at night. I do not think there is any one thing that causes BMS. I went to a dentist in Cincinnati who treats orofacial pain, BMS and it is a trial and error way of treating if the cause can be identified which most of the time it cannot.

Closed Thread