It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2011, 12:43 AM   #1
(female)

Suzie0156 HB User
Question Totally confused!

It's been about 5 months since I posted and decided it was time to check in again. I seriously am not enjoying being a female.

I am 3 months shy of being 56 and still getting my periods. I have people telling me this is just not normal and I better get myself checked out soon. Well my yearly is due in December and I plan on doing just that.

Back in March I had a blood test done because I had skipped a couple periods. It was determined I was menopausel. Nice. Had some mild hot flashes, nothing severe though, just feeling warm. So then the periods come back every month and here we are. I've been regular again for a good 4 months or so. But I really feel I am too old for this crap. And it is now embarrasing to be buying feminine products at my age! I remember being young and being embarrassed. lol

So from what I have googled on this topic is it's not totally abnormal to be my age and still having period. But how could a blood test back earlier this year show I am menopausel then? I have a feeling I am going to be 70 and still bleeding. I am just so confused. Anyone have a story similiar to mine? sigh!

Thanks gang!

Suzie

Old 10-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Totally confused!

The biggest indicator of how long your will have your periods is your mother. If she had her's into her late 50's etc, odds are you will. My mother had hers into her 60's. So, it's not abnormal....just most women don't.

And you can't be menopausal until you go 12 months without a period. That's the definition. You could have been beginning menopause or perimenopausal but not menopausal since you hadn't met the 12 month criteria.

Now, what can you do? Go on continuous birth control or HRT. When I was 57 (and I started my periods at age 10 so I was really over doing that after 47 years!) mine were still there because of the birth control pills but i could tell my body really wasn't "into" having them. I went to my gyno and she put me on HRT (FemHRT at the time) and i've never had another period. That was 8 years ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
(female)

sandy0055 HB User
Re: Totally confused!

You are not alone. I will be 56 in another week and still having periods--or I should say having periods again. Started last year about this time with symptoms of bouts of severe nausea. Had regular but very light periods until then. Then skipped a month, then 2 in one month and then thought I had my last one in January, but surprise, they started again in July and have been regular now for 4 months again (though very light). Have had the nausea for a year and is finally getting somewhat better. I'm really sick of this and just want to "reach the other side" and feel normal again. I am on bioidentical progesterone, so have to stop every time my period starts. Glad to hear I'm not the only "oldie" going through this!

Sandy

Closed Thread