It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User
Question What is a good Antidpressant for ???

Perm i-menopause? I know please say oh you are too young will be 45 in December, but I know my body and think I have been perm for at least, least three years........

R their any antidepressant that help ease PMS, mood, and permi? God please tell me their is, oh not to mention the Anxiety and panic attacks that have now come along with this..............errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... .............

Please.............and god bless.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User
Re: What is a good Antidpressant for ???

There are, but there are soooo many that cause bad side effects. Most of the time you have to take either Ativan or Xanax along with the AD for the first couple of weeks before the AD kicks in. I am peri (49 yrs old) and they tried to put me on Prozac. WRONG. That lasted a whole three days before I thought I was going in sane. I am doing it with vitamins, diet & exercise now and take Ativan on the really bad days.
If you do decide to take an AD, you may have to try a few before you find the right one that works for you. Personally, I HATE all of them.

The Following User Says Thank You to susieq0726 For This Useful Post:
himmylover (11-07-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User

Thank u! I know I have been on many, but not this one..............and like you hate them all..............but do need something.............to help..........

Old 04-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
(female)

Hodg48 HB UserHodg48 HB User

Hey, I know exactly what you're talking about. I tried Paxil, Celexa, Zoloft and Effexor. None of them got rid of the anxiety attacks which were happening many times a day. My major problem was and is anxiety, but that did lead to bouts of severe depression. I finally found Remeron (Mirtazapine) and it has eliminated the anxiety attacks. I still have anxiety but it is manageable and I am functioning. I was on ativan for two years and after being on Remeron for a little over a year, I was able to wean off of it. You are far better off taking an antidepressant than a benzodiazapine like ativan as you will need more and more of the ativan to get the same result. Whereas with the antidepressant, once you find the dose you stay there. Some people bash the antidepressants, but they obviously haven't been to the dark depths of hell that I have. Remeron saved my life.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
(female)

Hummingbird913 HB User

I have not always had great success with antidepressants either. I agree that anti-anxiety meds need to be used along with them for menopause symptoms in many cases. Antidepressants also take time to work, and that can be frustrating. The side affects can be horrific, too. For me, it came down to trading one set of problems for a another. Yes, I have had weight gain (10 pounds) but I am not in such a very dark place anymore. I had to start on a very low dose of antidepressant and build up very gradually. That helped with the side effects for me. Earlier on in this process I benefited from more holistic approaches as well. Healthy eating can go a long way, it's just such a battle! My moods are always a bit more regulated if I cut down on simple carbs and sugars - just soo hard to do.

I think the most difficult part is motivation and just want to encourage you to reach out for some kind of help. The depression and anxiety and mood swings that come along with these hormone fluctuations is brutal and very real. IMHO, some relief is better than none! I take 40 mg Prozac daily and .5 mg lorazapam as needed up to 3x daily but have never used it more than 2x in a day and usually just take 4 or 5 nights a week to calm me down and get a good nights rest.

Cindi

Closed Thread