It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
(female)

ruzalily HB User
Unhappy Peri, Migraine, and Depression

Hi everyone, I'm really struggling right now and I'm hoping for some advice/support. I am 45 and have been experiencing many strange symptoms that I really believe are due to perimenopause, even though my hormone tests have all been within "normal limits". Skin crawling feeling, moodiness, irregular periods (45 days apart, then 15 days apart, some heavy, then really light), sore breasts all month, crying, feelings of depression, and an increase in migraines. Right now, the depressed feelings and headaches are my biggest problem. I've had three significant migraines in the past two weeks. I get a lot of headaches because of stress, I've had migraine w/aura since my early 20's, and I always get headaches at the end of my period, but this pattern of migraine is really disrupting my life. I start seeing one or two kinds of aura, and I know that I'm going to have a headache for the entire day. I had an MRI and MRA to rule out anything serious, and my neurologist has me on basic abortive meds rather than preventive. My question is, could I be estrogen dominant or low on progesterone and would this be causing the migraines and other symptoms? The gyno I loved retired and I haven't found one I like and trust, so I feel like I'm out there on my own. I am going to ask my neuro for a preventive for my migraines, but I feel like I have to balance my hormones out somehow, to get me through this horrible time. Is anyone experiencing migraines during peri, and has anyone tried progesterone cream or any other treatment, vitamins, etc. that have helped? I'm desperate and feel really alone. Thanks for reading, any help would be appreciated. Lily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
(female)

dcs316 HB Userdcs316 HB User
Re: Peri, Migraine, and Depression

Hi Lily,
I, too, started having migraines much more frequently with the onset of perimenopause. I used to have them occasionally -- a few times a year -- and then suddenly was getting them 2 or more times a week. I did the same as you, went to a neurologist and had a CT scan, etc. to rule out anything serious. He's the one who said it was most likely hormone related after I told him I was beginning to have other peri symptoms as well. I was around 42 or 43 at the time. He then suggested the preventive drug Topamax. I was somewhat reluctant but agreed to try it and boy am I glad I did! I know it doesn't help everyone but it's been wonderful for me. I've had maybe 3 or 4 migraines total since I started taking it. And I've had very few, minor side effects -- occasional tingling in my hands and feet is the only one that I still have. So it's worth a try. I just wish they could find a pill to prevent the other 30 peri symptoms I have! Anxiety being the worst one on my list -- though there are many more closely following after that! Anyway, I hope this helped. Good luck to you and take care.
Diane

Closed Thread