It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
(female)

MaryJaneT HB User
Question Where did my life go? How do I get it back? Long, so sorry.

Please excuse the bolding as along with everything else, I am having vision difficulties that require me to type this way and use other visual aids on my computer so that I can see what I've written and what others responses are.

I went through natuaral menopause fairly early - I was in my late 40's. I didn't have too difficult of a time, refused HRT, and for the most part only dealt with hot flashes (at night) for a few years.

I am a widow now and have been for 8 years or so.

All was well until I recently hit 60 yrs. old and for the past 8 months or more I have become a complete stranger to myself as well as others. First it started with memory loss - which became more and more severe. Then the emotional roller coaster came along: weeping for weeks at a time; throwing temper tantrums; being very angry; easily frustrated - nothing that was ever a part of my personality before. My concentration is completely gone. I am also suffering from extreme agoraphobia; can no longer drive my car; can't shop in stores; and have to rely on others for dr. appts. and things of that nature.

For at least a year I have also had that very shaky feeling upon first awakening in the morning that I have seen others post about here. Every time I mentioned it to a doctor they just kind of shrugged their shouders and didn't seem concerned. Well it's very upsetting to me as my insides feel like quivering jelly and the only way I can stop it is to get out of bed immediately.

Next came the vaginal dryness; itching; rawness; pressure on my bladder; constantly feeling like I have to urinate; my last two urine tests showed large amounts of blood, but no infection; and my IBS (of the "C" variety for the most part) has returned with a vengeance.

I currently take valium (to get to sleep at night); can take it 3 times a day for anxiety (but doesn't work); a child's dose of Zoloft (12.5) each night; and I am on pain medication for chronic pain.

Right now I am trying to get in to see an endocrinologist and I also have an appt. for an MRI on my brain due to the memory problems; inability to concentrate; vision problems; etc.

Today the doctor gave me Estrace to use for the vaginal issues, but after researching it online I'm just not comfortable using it. Is there a natural remedy I can try instead?

I've also been researching the possibility that fish oil capsules and a combination of magnesium and calcium might help me to some degree, but I can't find any information on how much I should take of each. (Please bear in mind that I am extremely sensitive to medications and due to my low weight (under 100 lbs.) I am usually prescribed childrens doses of medications.)

I am adamant about not going the traditional (prescribed) HRT route and was hoping that some of you here might have some good suggestions. The only people I know who have gone through menopause have done so due to hysterectomies and no one who has gone through it naturally has 11 years under their belt.

I really would appreciate any suggestions because quite frankly, this is NO life! I'm not the happy; energetic; driving-on-the-go; always learning new things; enjoying life type of person I once was and I'm worried, confused, and terribly frustrated.

Can someone please help me? I thank you in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB Userjillian4 HB User
Re: Where did my life go? How do I get it back? Long, so sorry.

Hi MaryJaneT,

I saw your post and though I don't usually use this board I just wanted to encourage you. Yes you can get your life back, as long as these issues are menopausal/hormonal. I am very drug sensitive, and I use natural substances as much as possible.

I had a complete hysterectomy 13 years ago with the promise from the doctor that with what doctors know 'now', no doctor would refuse me hormone replacement. Guess what, back then only Premarin (horse estrogen) was available, and guess what, the longer I used it the less effective it was, and the more I had to take per day, until it stopped working. About that time it was discovered that horse strength estrogens was inappropriate for a human female. Surprise, surprise. Isn't that just logical?

OK, rant over.

The long story short is that you have to be pro-actively your own health advocate. If you get doctors that dismiss what you experience, get rid of them. Change medical groups too if you need to. I don't have insurance, but when I did, I still paid cash to the right doctors that can listen and take a woman seriously. There are solutions for your symptoms.

I discovered bio-identical estrogens, naturally balanced for human females that can be gotten in pills or trans-dermal cream application that is prescribed in formulas based on your own symptoms. Some doctors, esp. online ones, charge very high fees, but if you call around and ask questions you likely can find a naturopathic MD or even an MD that knows about and is willing to specialize in hormones and will prescribe for you at a reasonable cost. Also call around once you have a prescription and check out compounding pharmacy costs. It is trial and error, but doesn't take long to get rebalanced.

Another thing is to check out the Thyroid Board if your TSH and/or a doctor told you that your thyroid is normal. It very well may not be. And thyroid controls hormone balance. Some of your symptoms may be Hyper-thyroid related. A too high thyroid is dangerous if left untreated.

I become brain dead when mine is low, and the end result of hypothyroidism if untreated can be coma and death. It's not something to be ignored and it is easily treated, though most doctors don't understand to go by symptoms or to treat it effectively. It's sad but true.

Hope is out there.

PS.
I would not take valium or zoloft for any reason, due to the side effects and I am very sensitive to drugs.. I have chronic pain I manage with PT, massage, hot baths, and OTC pain med. I would not use prescription pain med. You very well may already get enough calcium. It's magnesium tht usually is alcking to balance the calcium and allow it to go into the bones where it belongs rather than into soft tissue making bone spurs, etc. Take any amount of magnesium citrate until your bowel movements are regular and not too soft. That's how much YOU need. There are no standards for individuals. We each have different needs. Also read up on vitamin B complex vitamins. Most chronic painers are deficient in the B's which feed the nerves.

Let me know what works for you.

Last edited by jillian4; 12-15-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Closed Thread