It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
(female)

Yorkiemama HB User
Help! Side effects of Premarin and Prometrium

Hello Everyone!
I am new to this site and praying someone can help me. I suffer from severe and frequent hot flashes and night sweats. I was on an RX of FEM HRT which did nothing for the sypmtoms. My doctor recently put me on Prometrium 100 mg. and Premarin 1.25 mg. I have only been on this RX for approx. 1 week and have been suffering from upset stomach and terrible episodes of crying for no apparent reason. Seems anything I read, hear, see on TV, etc. makes me cry. I need to know if I should continue to take the RX in hopes these symptoms will disappear once I get used to it or if I should stop taking them. The hot flashes and night sweats have subsided somewhat but not nearly what I had hoped for. Anyone out there experiencing the same thing or have a solution to my problem. I'm desperate!

Old 12-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: Help! Side effects of Premarin and Prometrium

Hi, there -

Well, I've never been on Premarin or Prometrium but I have three words to say about the Premarin: 'pregnant mare urine'! Yep, horse pee, that's what it's made from. Not only does it sound disgusting but it's not natural and not recognized by the human body at all. I wouldn't go on either of them if you paid me. The crying spells you talk about are ironically a side effect of Prometrium. When I was prescribed it before, doc told me when I inquired about side effects that it would 'make me tired, so take it at night' and also 'it might disrupt my cycles'. Really? That's all? I wasn't convinced. I wasn't going to take it without doing my own research. I learned the hard way before on that. Anyway, I went home and researched it and the list of side effects for both most common and common were three inches deep! Ha! I threw that script right in the shredder. True, everything has side effects. There was waaay too much with this, though. Plus, many of them were things I was already experiencing (like I needed any more) as well as new things. Nice. This after I just told the doc I was very sensitive to side effects. In one ear and out the other. Prometrium is supposed to be 'bioidentical'. Um, not with that amount of side effects it's not. I think it was just the latest drug to 'push' at the time for somebody to make a quick buck.

Anyway, I'd suggest you go back to your doctor and ask them to prescribe you bioidentical hormone creams. They also come in patches. If they won't, dump that doc quick and find a new one. We all understand and are here for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by kittywitty; 12-15-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread