It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
(female)

septemberday HB User
Vagifem or Prempro for vaginal dryness

Six months ago my gyne put me on Vagifem for vaginal dryness. I took it for 14 days. It took care of the problem. Now six months has gone by and I am having this problem again. Called my gyne. This time she is putting me on Prempro. She doesn't want me on the 14 days of Vagifem because I still have my uterus. I have been researching Prempro and wonder if this therapy has more adverse affects than 14 days on Vagifem. Would be interested in the experiences of others. I am 67 and went through menopause 15 years ago with relatively little difficulty.

Thanks,
Sharen[/B]

Old 12-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
(female)

b0redmember HB Userb0redmember HB User
Re: Vagifem or Prempro for vaginal dryness

I don't take hormones but just thought I would chime in on what works for me! I use vitamin E suppositories a few times a week and it takes care of the issue - check it out! (I buy them online)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
I'm 65 yrs old and had awful problem with dryness and irritation.
I have been on Vagifem for over a year and have found it really helpful and no side effects.
To start with I used two per week for the first few weeks, now I use one per week for the past year.
It is far safer than than Hormone Replacement treatment and as I had no other symptoms it suited me just fine.
I dont know anything about Prempro so cant advice you.
If Vagifem helped I would stay with that.

Solofelix.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
(female)

septemberday HB User

Gyne doesn't want me on Vagifem as I still have uterus. She had me on it before for just that short time in hopes the problem would not come back. I am really uncomfortable with the idea of taking Prempro but my problem is quite severe. I certainly appreciate your input.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by septemberday View Post
Gyne doesn't want me on Vagifem as I still have uterus. She had me on it before for just that short time in hopes the problem would not come back. I am really uncomfortable with the idea of taking Prempro but my problem is quite severe. I certainly appreciate your input.

I also have my Uterus and have had no problem.
As I said I have been using one pessary a week for over a year.
Unlike Hormone Replacement treatment, Vagifem is a low dose Oestrogen that specifically treats Vaginal Dryness.
My periods stopped completely at aged 49 yrs and I had no symptoms except for this which occured much later.

Solofelix.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
(female)

septemberday HB User

Solofelix, do you take a progestone also or do you just take Vagifem? If you just use Vagifem, do you take a "Vagifem break" from time to time? I read that if you still have your uterus and don't take a progestone along with the Vagifem, you need a drug break from time to time.

Sharen

Old 12-22-2011, 06:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by septemberday View Post
Solofelix, do you take a progestone also or do you just take Vagifem? If you just use Vagifem, do you take a "Vagifem break" from time to time? I read that if you still have your uterus and don't take a progestone along with the Vagifem, you need a drug break from time to time.

Sharen

I use Vagifem only.
I have never taken a break in over a year and
my Dr has never told me I should.

I will check it out in the new year with my Dr. I have had no problems
using this. I think one tab per week is very low dosage.

Solofelix.
PS. There is an instruction leaflet in the Vagifem pkt
I will read up on it!!....

Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
(female)

septemberday HB User

Same here. My periods stopped at 49. I thought it was all smooth sailing and now this vaginal stuff. Wonder what folks did in the "old days" when there was nothing out there to help other than maybe vegetable oil. Sharen

Closed Thread