It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
(female)

emerrube HB User
hormonal testing...hopefully

I'm going in mid-January to see a GYN (because my regular doc won't do a hormonal test) to see if she'll do one. I've been to her before and I don't like her all that much, but I really want to know if my hormones are out of whack or if I'm just a weirdo (which could be the case).

After reading stuff here and online I'm pretty sure I'm in peri. I don't have all the symptoms, but I have enough. I also suck at saying the right things to doctors and I feel like the crazy one and just give up.

Anywho...I'm coming to you all in hopes that you can guide me on the right things to ask for in regards to get a hormonal test.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User
Re: hormonal testing...hopefully

Hi, emerrube

I've read your other posts and your symptoms sound a lot like some of my past and current symptoms. I've been going through the peri crud since age 37 and I'm 41 now. At the time all the fun started my progesterone and testosterone were in the toilet. I've been using progesterone cream for almost three years and recently added testosterone cream. As far as the doctor goes, if you really don't like her why not see a different one instead? No matter who you choose to see, though, you should write down all the questions/concerens you want to bring up. This way you're not tripping over your words. For the tests, I would ask them to test your estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, TSH (thyroid), and DHEA (this a important hormone produced in the adrenals that declines with age). If they won't test everything for whatever reason, at least get your estrogen and progesterone checked. When we start peri the progesterone drops while the estrogen doesn't. This causes a whole host of messy symptoms including mood swings, low sex drive, and hair loss to name a few. Good luck and try to find a doc that listens, that's key.

Last edited by kittywitty; 12-21-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
(female)

emerrube HB User

thanks for the advice!

Old 12-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

You're welcome.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
(female)

emerrube HB User

Well, that didn't work. I came in prepared. I gave her my list. She managed to somehow ignore it all. So no hormonal testing. She nicely said I'm not peri-menopausal. I give up. This is the second time I tried. I'm going to assume they are correct.

What I did find out, though, is that I have a lot of yeast infections. I didn't realize they were yeast infections. I thought of yeast infections with all the burning and itching and being totally uncomfortable. I wasn't having any issues other than leakage (which seems quite normal to me) and she said it was a yeast infection. So now I know that I've been having those since I was a teenager. I've always gotten that leakage since I've been a teenager. So I thought it was normal. When I said something to my mom she said I might have candida. I looked up the symptoms and they are similar. So maybe?? It doesn't hurt to treat it anyway with probiotics. And I'm adding Candex. From what I understand neither will harm me and will hopefully help. So...I guess and I'm going to try that direction.

Trying not to be frustrated. I hate guessing games.

Closed Thread