It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
(female)

dcs316 HB Userdcs316 HB User
Anyone else losing their hair?

Hi Everyone!
I haven't posted for quite awhile -- which certainly doesn't mean I have been spared the wonderful symptoms of perimenopause. They're all still here!!! I've been on the boards reading everyone else's posts for support, I just haven't had anything new to add. Until now. Lately I've been noticing a lot -- and I mean A LOT -- more hair in the drain after I shower. At first I just sort of ignored it but it continues pretty much daily and, just like everything else new and weird that happens to me these days, I'm wondering if it is yet another symptom of perimenopause. So is anyone else out there experiencing this? And, if so, is there anything to stop it? It's not like I have extremely thick, lush hair to begin with. I'd like to keep what I have! Granted, in the grand scheme of things, this is minor compared to the awful anxiety, bloating, crazy periods, etc. that peri brings on but jeez! Do I have to slowly go bald, too?! It's just bringing back to the surface my hatred of this whole phase of my life. I know it's just hair but it's MY hair and I don't want it to be thinner -- or worse!! Help anyone? Thanks! Diane

Old 12-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Laye HB UserLaye HB UserLaye HB User
Re: Anyone else losing their hair?

Hi..I lost some hair a few years ago. I think it was when my peri truly kicked in. Plus I had lost a lot of weight and my hormones were all over the place. Needless to say I was panicky...I started to eat better...eat lot's of protein and I had my blood checked. My ferritin levels were very low..so I had to supplement with iron tablets. Right now..I'm taking this vitamin you can get at the drug store...it's by Applied Nutrition and called Longer & Stronger Hair & Nails..I'm telling you it works. I've noticed since I've been taking it my hair is getting stronger and thicker and growing! I think I have more hair now than I did a few years ago..for sure. I think when your hormone levels go up and down your hair is affected..things usually level out and your hair gets better but you gotta treat it well by eating better. I also stopped coloring my hair and I only get low lights and high lights now..and I let it air dry as much as possible.

I hope this helps..but eat lot's of protein..nuts..lean meat and greek yogurt. I've noticed since I've been eating that..my hair is really growing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2012, 02:36 AM   #3
(female)

maggzz HB User
Re: Anyone else losing their hair?

I'm sure it's a menopause symptom. I can't post anything here that'll help as I'm the same. There seems to be a lot of hair on my pillow in the morning and like you I have fairly thin hair and I need to hold on to what I've got. I'm also not willing to stop coloring my hair as who wants to be grey?
I stopped taking HRT a few months ago as the doctor told me I couldn't stay on it for more than 3 years after the age of 50 but I'm going on Thursday to beg to go back on it or at least have them give me something to stop the sweats. The whole thing is driving me nuts. I'm sorry I'm not being any help. I just wanted to say you're not alone.

Closed Thread