It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
(female)

lmb1964 HB User
Menopause or crazy... Please help

I need to know if this sounds like menopause to anyone out there. I have read a few threads and have seen some of my "symptoms" but I just need reassurance! My symptoms are (not in any order) depression, feeling hot and sweaty, anxiety, weight gain(maybe because of increased appetite) and upset stomach and shaking. Sometimes I feel so agitated that I have to bite my tongue so I don't scream at my family!! Then and this is the strange thing one minute I feel so down I don't want to get out of bed and then I feel so much happy and better. I was wondering at first if I was Bipolar but I have taken the test and I don't have any other of the symptoms!
Sometimes I wish my life would hurry up and be over so I don't have to go thru all this stuff!
Thanks in advance to anyone that can identify with me, I really need to hear from somebody. I am on an antidepressant and anxiety medication but I don't like to take it to often(anxiety med) because it makes me really drowsy. Please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
(female)

rube446 HB User
Re: Menopause or crazy...Please help

I'm not hot or sweaty, usually, or anxious, but the rest I can relate to. I'm having the major crabbies myself today and was just going to write a post about it, but I guess I will here.

and yes, sometimes I will get super down. we went geocaching/hiking about a month ago and I started crying. I usually enjoy that stuff! No, make that love it! I didn't enjoy it at all. And all my husband could say was "how's your life bad?" That didn't help. lol.

and I'm so sick of my stomach bugging me! I'm convinced it's cyclical, but the doctors will neither confirm or deny it. I'm going to try again next week at the GYNs.

I was going to exercise tonight, but I'm sure I'll bite someone's head off when they get in my way. I think I'd better play it safe at home. As it is I'm worried enough about biting someone's head off on my commute home.

I hope you feel better soon too. I wish I had an answer! I really do

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
(female)

lmb1964 HB User
Re: Menopause or crazy...Please help

Thanks rube! I hope you and I are not the only ones feeling like this! I thought their might be more that could identify with me!

Last edited by Administrator; 12-10-2014 at 07:20 PM.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
(female)

Vicci HB User
Re: Menopause or crazy... Please help

Hi :
I am not a DR. and have had a express lane to menopause via hysterectomy.However,my Mother had the very symptoms you are describing.The mood swings were the most bothersome too her.She had a "short fuse",and had to bite her tongue..daily!
Hang in there..just remember you are in a awesome club of women,enduring a lot of the same symptoms...its not easy...but we get through it!!!Sending hugs

Old 02-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User

You're not alone.

I have all of the same symptoms to some degree, other than being sweaty or having weight gain.

It seems as though one day, I'm more anxious......the next, more depressed, etc. It never seems to follow any pattern. Sigh.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
(female)

obsessivereal HB User
Smile Re: Menopause or crazy... Please help

sounds exactly like what I go through...and yes, I believe it is due to perimenopause or menopause....have you went to your gyno? I also have problems with anxiety and depression, so I have a double whammy...you are not going crazy...but you may have some kind of anxiety disorder....believe me....I know how you are feeling.....it is not fun...and the family doesn't understand how it feels...so I am getting no compassion there...hang in there...go to your Dr. INSIST that they help you....!!

Old 02-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
(female)

ma5511 HB User

You are so not alone. I have had all the symptoms you describe and then some. I couldn't stand it any more and started HRT last week and have some seen some improvement. I was beginning to wonder if I could continue to work, I felt so bad. Anyway, so far I am sleeping better (still wake up in the middle of the night several times but can now go back to sleep w/o Lorazipam). Haven't had a hot flash in the night for three nights and I was having one almost every night. My mood seems to be improving a lot. I even spent 40 minutes on the treadmill today and I haven't done that for over a year. I still have some extremity parasthesia in my arms in the morning but it's not as bad as it was.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
(female)

godzpeach HB User

Yes, yes and yes. And I have on a few days at the start of this ride wondered if something was really wrong with me emotionally/mentally.

When I feel really yucky I have learned that a few deep breaths and/or some quite alone time helps. Ativan has also been very helpful..just as needed.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
(female)

patriciamc20 HB User

I too am experiencing the symptoms you described, some days its so bad that i dont want to go to work. I havent had a period for 2 months now and i have experienced 2 hot flashes which scared the life out of me as I didn't know what was happening and thought it was some type of allergic reaction. I have had blood tests taken and it was confirmed that I "was close to menopause" but I'm unsure if that means I am only starting or have I been going 'mad unreasonable errattic' for the last 2 years?

Old 04-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
(female)

CELESTEBEN HB User

Hey girls! I'm in the same club. I am an emotional mess, I have anxiety, depression, anger, all the mood swings. I have an awsome life and each day is different for me in the mood department. I think I am perimenopausal, I still have cycles on time and heavy. However, I have mood swings, face flushing, weight gain, hot flashes. Here's a crazy question, this is a women's issue, why is the word "men" in all of it ("menopause, menses, menstruation). Maybe this will make some of you laugh. God bless you all. C

Old 04-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #11
(female)

Hummingbird913 HB User

Hugs hugs hugs! As I said in another post, if men had to go through this it would be considered a complete medical disability. Has your GYN looked at your FHS at all? Have you had any missed periods? Much of this does sound very perimenopausal and much like my own experience. Do you take your antidepressants regularly? Are you on a high enough dose? I know these don't work for everyone. I also hear you about the anti-anxiety meds. Unless I am in a very bad place, I usually resort to taking this before bed so I can benefit from the sleepiness. They seem to have a bit of a carryover affect for me into the next day. As difficult as it is, it also helps to cut down on simple carbs and sugars. Easy to say, very hard to do!

No, you are not alone. It seems to me like every hospital should have a menopause support group. Hang in there!

Cindi

Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
(female)

CELESTEBEN HB User

Hi Cindi: Thank you for your reply. Last night was horrible! The muscle twitching was all over my body and I start to freak out. I had to take 10mg valium to calm me down. I do really think I have anxiety/perimenopausal condition. Yes, I am still having cycles, perfect every 28 days. I am having hot flashes, face flushing, I can't touch a carb, and moodiness. I am going to make an appointment to have blood work done to see if I am perimenopausal. I don't think it takes a brain surgeon to figure this one out, but it's nice to be diagnosed. I am 46 and it's time for the change. I just hate the anxiety part! Also, every time I have a hot flash, right after I have a "crash" feeling like really exhausted for a while. I had one a little while ago when I took my little boy to the doctor. I love this message board, it really helps to know we are all in this together and we can support each other. I really appreciate you Cindi, I am just a simple woman out here who loves Jesus Christ and wants to do the best for Him. Blessings to you sweetie. Celeste

The following user gives a hug of support to CELESTEBEN:
browneyes1962 (05-05-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
(female)

Gwen112 HB UserGwen112 HB User

I'm 50 and this is all happening to me. The difficult part is, I was on too high of a dose of thyroid hormone and have had to reduce dose twice now. So I'm not knowing what is causing what right now.

The following user gives a hug of support to Gwen112:
tinkerbell8206 (05-04-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #14
(female)

browneyes1962 HB User

Hi rube,

I am 49 years old and boy did peri hit me like a ton of bricks. Not sure if what you are experiencing is peri, but I can tell you that back in November my blood pressure spiked...I got dizzy..almost fainted and was very nauseous. Next I skipped that period...and my breasts were so tender, I thought I was pregnant. Then the fun began, 2 weeks of spotting and all of a sudden I started bleeding so profusely with these huge clots it scared me. Secondly, I began to shake..almost like tremors, with heart palpitations and I felt like running around the block a hundred times. I was so sensitve I would cry at the drop of a hat....then I would get so angry I would yell at my family...it took something someone said to rub me the wrong way and then hell broke loose. For 70 days I bled like this until the bleeding finally stopped!! And now I get really cold for no reason or very hot. What a welcome into peri. There is more to this story...but I would check with your doctor, because if it is peri...whatever was going on with you before will be exascerbated by peri. So if you were moody and had alot of anxiety before peri, you may need medication to take care of your mood swings and anxiety. Some women get severe symptons while others just ease through menopause. Take care of yourself...and talk to your doctor about this.

Debbie

Last edited by Administrator; 12-10-2014 at 07:20 PM.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
(female)

tinkerbell8206 HB User

Good Lord - I just turned 48 about two weeks ago and for the last 2 to 3 years, very strange things have been happening. I have always been an "even keel" type person, no bouts of real anxiety or panic, woke up happy, went to bed usually happy, have a great husband and a beautiful daughter. Was a stay at home mom/at home medical editor since or daughter was 2 and also did the whole "room mom" thing for years, coached, volunteered for everything, etc. About 3 years ago, I noticed that my sex drive kicked into high gear (for which my husband was very grateful - lol), was still having regular periods up until January of 2011 when I did not have another one until May of 2011. Had them regularly for the next 6 months and then no period from November until March. The week before the period made its appearance, I had some type of "attack" when going to the doctor with my sister-in-law (her appt). Not sure whether it was panic/anxiety or a drop in sugar but it subsided after about 2 to 3 minutes and then I was fine. The period lasted about 5 or 6 days (my usual) but reappeared with a vengeance about 6 days after stopping (just after having intercourse). It lasted for another 3 days and then stopped and I am now about 2 weeks late (and not even sure when or if it will show up again). Just for the record, no bleeding has since occurred with intercourse and no pain. Now, my husband and I both also quit tobacco (I smoked/he chewed) over 5 weeks ago and we seem to be doing pretty good. No real cravings other than the fleeting ones that we fight through together by exercising or taking walks. We feel very good about this and will not go back to using tobacco. Our only child is graduating from college this weekend and moving 1000 miles away on May 17th. For the last week, I have been having severe panic and/or anxiety attacks with shortness of breath, uncontrollable crying spells, gloom and doom feelings and these are terrifying. I do not think this can be attributed to the quitting of smoking as I am doing fairly well with that. When I have one of these attacks and hyperventilating, it just causes that much more panic/anxiety when you can't catch your breath (vicious cycle). When my husband and I and our daughter (while still here at home) go for our walks, I may get a little short of breath from exercising but nothing like the terrified feelings of panic/anxiety and uncontrollable crying. I feel like I am constantly on the very edge of getting my period with horrible PMS. Any thoughts on if this is premenopausal or am I just cracking up? I have an appt. with my GYN next week before we go away with our daughter to get her set up. Thanks so much. I have to cry now - lol.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: tinkerbell8206
browneyes1962 (05-05-2012), Gwen112 (05-04-2012)
Closed Thread