It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User
For Those on BHRT

Do all of your physicians only prescribe the needed hormones that you're lacking or are they mandating that you take "their" supplemental vitamins, as well?

I've had several appt.'s with a Bio-Identical doctor. First was a history and blood work. Several hormones were on the low side and my vitamin/trace mineral levels, etc. were all within range.

I was given several "supplemental vitamins" that I was told that I needed to take, which sort of surprised me. There were at least a dozen of them and each ranged in price from $15-$75/month. I asked if these could be purchased elsewhere and was told they couldn't. (I did find them all at a fraction of the cost online, however)

The blood work alone was well over $6,000 and luckily my health insurance covered that, however they won't cover the cost of these "supplements" or the actual visits to this physician, which are close to $500/visit.

During my last visit, I told the physician that I wasn't interested in the supplements, as I didn't need them and couldn't afford them, anyway. She seemed quite irate with me and went on to say that unless I took the supplemental vitamins that she would not prescribe the hormones that I needed which prompted this visit. (She said that I'd ruin her "success rates")

For those on BHRT, are you only taking the hormones that you're deficient in alone, or with a dozen (or more) supplements, as well?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: For Those on BHRT

I'd ask for a copy of my file and find another doctor. My regular gyno can do BHRT. Surely you can find one that will.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
CherylLynn24 (02-06-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for your thoughts. I already asked for my blood work, etc.
Unfortunately, my Gyn refers to BHRT as being "fake."

I've asked a few physicians that I know, but no one seems to know of another practicing physician that prescribes this. Perhaps a compounding pharmacy may know.

Thanks again and I hope you're doing well.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Yes, I'd try the compounding pharmacy. They should know if there is someone in your area. I'm on regular HRT but know that some are opposed for whatever reasons they may have.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
CherylLynn24 (02-06-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'll try calling around tomorrow. I can't speak for the others here, but my doctor that suggested hormone therapy was opposed to the synthetic due to the fact that the dosages can't tailored to suit my individual needs. (Compounding for a lesser dose) I also read that those who couldn't tolerate birth control pills usually can't tolerate HRT. I tried BCP on several occasions (low dose) and had to discontinue them due to side effects.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

I just saw a BHRT doctor last week. We did blood work and she prescribed progesterone and testosterone. My testosterone was low but progesterone was normal. But because I have and had been having estrogen dominant symptoms, she went ahead with the progesterone as well.

She offered no supplements. She did tell me to up my dosage of vitamin D because that was low.

I am doing a saliva test today and she'll get those results back in a week or two. Now if I show I have some adrenal fatigue, I would imagine she will have supplements for that. But I won't know what until or unless I show any adrenal problems.

That sounds very unprofessional to force supplements on you and refuse to treat you because of it. Especially if you can purchase them elsewhere and could follow her program, just not give her the money.

I hope you can find another dr. Maybe try some naturopaths as well. Some of them are familiar with bioidentical hormone replacement too. You might be more successful with a naturopath than a gyno.

The Following User Says Thank You to irisrose For This Useful Post:
CherylLynn24 (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisrose View Post
I just saw a BHRT doctor last week. We did blood work and she prescribed progesterone and testosterone. My testosterone was low but progesterone was normal. But because I have and had been having estrogen dominant symptoms, she went ahead with the progesterone as well.

She offered no supplements. She did tell me to up my dosage of vitamin D because that was low.

I am doing a saliva test today and she'll get those results back in a week or two. Now if I show I have some adrenal fatigue, I would imagine she will have supplements for that. But I won't know what until or unless I show any adrenal problems.

That sounds very unprofessional to force supplements on you and refuse to treat you because of it. Especially if you can purchase them elsewhere and could follow her program, just not give her the money.

I hope you can find another dr. Maybe try some naturopaths as well. Some of them are familiar with bioidentical hormone replacement too. You might be more successful with a naturopath than a gyno.
It sounds like you've found a decent doctor that's working with you, that's great. I had hoped that the doctor that I went to would've been the same, but unfortunately not.

Thanks for your response. I was wondering if all BHRT physicians practiced in this manner, but apparently not. While I have no problem taking supplements that I'm lacking, my blood work showed that I wasn't lacking anything and I didn't see the need. I did speak with another physician who told me that when a doctor suggests any sorts of supplements that are "only" available through them, to run. He also thought that the comment she made about "success rates" was in very poor taste.

Thanks for your idea of a naturopath, as well. I'll be making some calls and doing some research.

Do let me know how you do with the BHRT. I'm quite interested.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

The naturopath that I was seeing prior to going to this BHRT doctor would have prescribed bioidentical creams to treat any hormone issues. I liked him but he was very cautious in his approach to everything. Don't let that dissuade you like all naturopaths are that way. I think he was the kind that wanted to take a very natural course and try and let your own body heal itself. Only I think I was too far gone for any encouraging results. I needed something more aggressive and hopefully see results a bit sooner.

But like I said, he would have done the tests for hormones and would have treated with BHRT if needed. He also didn't push any supplements on me. He told me about an adaptogen to help with my adrenals if that was my problem but never told me I had to take them - he left it up to me if I wanted to try.

Closed Thread