It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
Anyone using hormone gels?

I just started my BHRT today. I was supposed to have progesterone gel and testosterone gel because my dr wants me to apply it to my labia (I know, TMI). Anyway, since I've never used hormone gels am not sure if that's what I have.

They sure look like creams to me. White, thick and opaque. I didn't apply them to my labia area because it would NEVER have absorbed. Most would have ended up on my panties I applied them to my forearms instead and that took a lot of rubbing to get it absorbed.

I sent my dr an email and I swear she skims. She never answers the most important question. She reads like the first sentence and that's it. She never answered if she thought I had mistakenly gotten a cream instead of gel by the description I gave her (like the one I wrote above).

So if you have used a hormone gel, can you let me know what it looks like?

Last edited by irisrose; 02-12-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
(female)

sandy0055 HB User
Re: Anyone using hormone gels?

What you describe sounds like the hormone creams I am on--I wasn't even aware that there was a gel. Maybe they use the terms interchangeably. I would call the pharmacy and ask them. I know what you mean about not getting all your questions answered--had the exact same problem in working with a compounding pharmacist trying to get dosages right. She would answer one question, but seem to skip the main question I was asking in my email. This is all so frustrating!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

Thanks Sandy,

I finally called the compounding pharmacy yesterday and these are creams. Despite my description to my doctor, she continued to tell me what I had were gels. This compounding pharmacy doesn't even make a gel supplement.

What the pharmacist did say she could do was concentrate it more so I wouldn't have to apply so much. Because if I am required to apply it to my labia area, frankly, I don't have enough labia for all of that cream Sorry again for TMI. But it's crazy!

So next refill, hopefully, it won't be so messy.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I can't believe your doctor told your to apply it to you labia. I have been using the creams for a few years and I apply rotating between my forearms and thighs. I would probably try this. They want it put into some fatty areas, but if the level becomes too high they will have you apply to less fatty areas. I would recheck on that area because it doesn't seem right. But I am not a doctor.

Last edited by TEdds83; 02-19-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hi Tedds83,
I have heard and read about vaginal application of gels and creams. And the pharmacist I talked to also talked of patients using gels/creams in that area. So that part wasn't really odd to me. My dr. said it's a vascularly rich area for absorption and it's less likely to get dermal fatigue like skin. That's why you have to rotate application to skin. And once in awhile I'll apply it to my forearms or back of my knees etc. if I don't feel like messing around "down there" and am in a hurry.

I only apply these creams on day 14 through day 28. I will retest in 2 months to check my levels. So far I don't feel anything profound. I think the progesterone has helped with that unprovoked anxiety that would bubble up in my chest and throat for no reason. I haven't felt that since I've been using it. Which is great! But no real difference from the testosterone. I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to feel. Libido? Well, not so far.

Closed Thread