It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
(female)

pugdogmom HB User
Very Late Menopause... 57 and still going

Please if there is any woman out there like me, respond to this message. I have not met anyone who is as old as me. I just started with the crazy periods, so far 10 days in this month and I don't know what is normal or not. I have no other symptoms of menopause at all...nothing. Thank you.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-21-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User
Re: Very Late Menopause....57 and still going

My Aunt is 56 and still going strong. As long as you have regular check-ups at your Gyn, I wouldn't worry about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to CherylLynn24 For This Useful Post:
pugdogmom (02-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You probably started your periods early ....it's common to go longer if you start early. I started at age 10 and finally made my gyno put me on HRT instead of BCP at 57...so not so unusual.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
pugdogmom (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I don't agree that starting your periods early means you will finish with them later.
I started mine just as I turned 11 yrs old. I had no menopause symptoms and my periods just stopped at age 49 yrs old.
Everyone is different and I would advice at age 57 yrs seeing your Dr just to make sure there is no underlying problem, but its more than likely its normal for you.

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
pugdogmom (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
(female)

pugdogmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
You probably started your periods early ....it's common to go longer if you start early. I started at age 10 and finally made my gyno put me on HRT instead of BCP at 57...so not so unusual.
Hi...Thank you so much for answering me. You are the first person to ever go this long and my doctor says I am the oldest patient he has ever had. I started my period and almost 13 years old. At first my doctor thought this was heredity because my mother stopped at 55 and my grandmother gave birth at 46 and my cousin gave birth at 43. But now I am wondering if I am still around because I am a vegan and I consume so much soy. I have had melanoma and so going on an HRT bothers me a bit but what is BCP? i don't know any of these things. I am waiting to hear from my doc now. Today is the 10th day of my period.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
(female)

sandy0055 HB User

I didn't start having any noticable symptoms until 2 months before I turned 55 (Nov 2010) though now thinking back I had been really tired and had been having very light periods for quite a while. My symptoms (extreme nausea/anxiety/insomnia/back pain) started very suddenly. In Sept of that year I had 8 days in a row of terrible symptoms, then it went away for 3 wks and then in Oct had 6 days of terrible nausea and anxiety. From November 2010 symptoms have been constant. I did skip one period around then, and had 2 in one month, then Jan through July of 2011 did not have a period at all--thought I was halfway there. End of July my periods started again, quite regular, but very light. I am on bioidentical hormones, but still having issues. Just had an appt yesterday and am going to do another saliva test to adjust hormones. My period last month was very light and only a couple of days, and so far have not had one this month (I'm now almost 56 1/2). I don't remember the exact age I had my first period, but it was later than all my friends. When I first started having the nausea my primary care doctor wouldn't consider that a symptom of menopause, so I had every test in the book, CT scans, MRI, thyroid, blood tests, ultrasounds, gall bladder tests, food allergy tests, urine tests, endoscopy and was sent to the the Univ of IA Hospital for a small bowel followthrough where you swallow a camera (all showed nothing). I kept telling everyone it was like morning sickness and I thought it was hormones, but nobody would listen. I finally found someone to test me and get me started on bioidenticals. Was doing pretty good the last 3 months, but now seems to be another shift in hormones as my periods start skipping around again. Hope your journey is a short one, but I know what you mean about feeling too old to be just going through this. By the way, BCP is birth control pills--many doctors prescribe them for younger women instead of HRT to stabilize hormones. Good luck--there's so much good information on this site--it's the only thing that keeps me going sometimes.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
(female)

pugdogmom HB User

Wow Sandy...that is amazing. Thank you for your email. I am just going to jump off each bridge as I come to it. I turned 57 two weeks ago, and my last FSH was 11 and I will be taking a new blood test in two weeks. I have no symptoms other than the long period and this is the first time it has happened like this. I just want it to end quickly. Do you think there is any reason in your life that your period has gone on so long? How old was your Mother? or Grandmother?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
(female)

sandy0055 HB User

I always just assumed perimenopause started late for me because I had my first period later than all my friends. Have also wondered if it hit me so hard because I've never been on birth control pills. I also had my tubes tied after my 3rd child was born (I was 32). I don't know if any of that has anything to do with it though. I asked my Mom and she said she doesn't really remember much about it, as she was on the pill at the time and sailed through it but thinks she was older (she had twins late in life--when I was 10 years old). The nurses did always kind of look at me funny when they would ask when my last period was (expecting me to tell them a year) and I'd tell them last month! Also don't know why I had such a weird symptom (nausea) but now am just beginning to have some hot flashes. I haven't had the FSH test, as my doctor said to wait until I've gone 12 months without a period. I'm glad you're not having any symptoms and I hope you're one of the lucky ones.

The Following User Says Thank You to sandy0055 For This Useful Post:
pugdogmom (02-21-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

BCP - birth control pills. My doctor told me that if you started early it meant your ovaries were very healthy and that you would probably not go into menopause until later. My mother started at age 11 and was still having periods into her late 50's, almost 60....

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
pugdogmom (02-21-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
(female)

cjanierun HB User

Hi there, just wanted to let you know that I was 57 when I finally finished my periods. You are not alone. I am now having cramps so am having ultrasound done and either a biospy or D&C just to be sure all is good. Not looking forward to this, have had one before since a couple years ago the lining of the uterus was a bit thicker than they liked. Came back fine. The following year, the ultrasound was normal. Don't understand the cramping, like a period is just about to begin, but I trust my GYN and she is not one to run tests just to run them. Both she and I want to just rule things out. So here we go. But in all honesty, 57 is not that old. Don't worry about this. I know, my old GYN told me that it was not normal to go that long. So you see I called her "MY OLD GYN". No longer, nice enough doctor, but don't tell me that I am not normal. Every woman is different, right? Some women have 7 day periods, some have 3, some have 5, some have 10. No one is the same. So when you begin and when you stop is different too. Good luck...stay strong..

Old 03-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
(female)

pugdogmom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanierun View Post
Hi there, just wanted to let you know that I was 57 when I finally finished my periods. You are not alone. I am now having cramps so am having ultrasound done and either a biospy or D&C just to be sure all is good. Not looking forward to this, have had one before since a couple years ago the lining of the uterus was a bit thicker than they liked. Came back fine. The following year, the ultrasound was normal. Don't understand the cramping, like a period is just about to begin, but I trust my GYN and she is not one to run tests just to run them. Both she and I want to just rule things out. So here we go. But in all honesty, 57 is not that old. Don't worry about this. I know, my old GYN told me that it was not normal to go that long. So you see I called her "MY OLD GYN". No longer, nice enough doctor, but don't tell me that I am not normal. Every woman is different, right? Some women have 7 day periods, some have 3, some have 5, some have 10. No one is the same. So when you begin and when you stop is different too. Good luck...stay strong..
Thank you so so much for your post. I have only met one person who is as late as I am. You said you were 57 and may I ask how old you are now? You said that they are doing some tests because you are having cramping. I can understand why your doc would want to run tests if you are post menopause but do you have spotting? I have always been worried about breast cancer and uterine cancer because of the high estrogen levels I have had for so long but they keep on me and so far everything has been good. I am so ready for this to end now. Good luck with your tests and thank you for taking the moment to post to my post. I truly appreciate it. Francesca

Old 03-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
(female)

cjanierun HB User

Hi again, happy Friday!! Just got back from my vaginal ultrasound. Went fine. Now I have to wait for the results. Just had a lot of cramping. Now after having the test, I am spotting. Bright red, so that is good. More than likely uterus walls or cervix walls are thin. I did the same thing last year after my Pap smear.
No, my doctor is absolutely right in doing these tests. Not crazy about having to have them done, but process of elimination. I am hoping is nothing wrong, perhaps a cyst, or something because I have had cysts all my life. Everywhere. I feel really good other than the cramping. So we will wait and see. Nonethless, I have some uncomfortable tests ahead of me in the next few weeks I think. But if they come back negative, then that will be a good thing!

The Following User Says Thank You to cjanierun For This Useful Post:
pugdogmom (03-09-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
(female)

pugdogmom HB User

how many years since you finally went into menopause? i have had an endometrial biopsy...the worst pain i ever had...good luck and thank you so much for posting.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #14
(female)

helmethead HB User
Re: Very Late Menopause... 57 and still going

Hi there, I turned 57 early this year, and yes, I am still getting my period. Well I can say that because I had a period at the beginning of this year 14 days after ovulating. I was a little annoyed about it because I was punching the air with relief prior to all of this happening and thinking wow, it has been 9 months and only another 3 to count down and I will officially be classed as menopause - hey, bring it on - pleeeaaase!!!

Almost a year to the day, I was sitting in the doctor's room discussing how we would deal with the heavy clotted bleeding I was experiencing. I begged to go on Provera tablets one last time to see if this would sort me out. It did. It was almost like the last heavy bleeding I had prior to this was the final goodbye to menstruation. Over the nine months I was period free, I did experience signs of a period with the usual PMS symptoms but nothing happened and as I say, I was thinking I am running to the finish line and I will be over it all until, I had all the signs of ovulating and then, a period. Although it was light and almost a token period, I still have to wait another 12 months again until I can officially say, I am now menopausal.

Yesterday, I have had the most excruciating pain on my left side which brings back memories of prior ovulation pain, which I experienced a lot. I am thinking what is happening now. I only hope the pain goes in the next day and if I do bleed I hope it will be minor.

I don't know who to compare myself with as my mother, grandmother and aunts all had hysterectomies in their late 30's, early 40's when it was the norm to have this procedure done - they were heavy bleeders I have been told.

My sister is one year younger than me and has just come off the pill to go into menopause. She went on the pill because of ovulation pain.

I was 13 when I started by menstruation for the first time as was my sister.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:27 AM   #15
(female)

estelle454 HB Userestelle454 HB Userestelle454 HB Userestelle454 HB User

I would go to doctor to just double check.

Closed Thread