It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
(female)

Shelley5716 HB UserShelley5716 HB UserShelley5716 HB User
Can ANYBODY help?

I had a total thyroidectomy about 13 yrs ago .... I have had problems ever since .... I am so desperate for answers to what is goin on now ...

I become flushed, all of a sudden, chest or stomach tightens, then I have the feeling I am not goin to be able to breathe ...

This has been happening more and more in the last few months, and yes, it scares me.

I used to have similar symptoms before I had my thyroid taken out, was told it was thyroid storms ... but how can I have them now that it is gone?

I pray someone has the same things and can help me find the answers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
(female)

Can ANYBODY help?

I had a total thyroidectomy about 13 yrs ago .... I have had problems ever since .... I am so desperate for answers to what is goin on now ...

I become flushed, all of a sudden, chest or stomach tightens, then I have the feeling I am not goin to be able to breathe ...

This has been happening more and more in the last few months, and yes, it scares me.

I used to have similar symptoms before I had my thyroid taken out, was told it was thyroid storms ... but how can I have them now that it is gone?

I pray someone has the same things and can help me find the answers.

I am 48, have been told I am in periomenopause, all blood work is normal, EKGs are normal ... which I am thankful ... but someone somewhere has to have the answer ... this is keeping me from life!

I just dont know anymore ....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
(female)

aussiejenni HB User
Re: Anyone with a total thyroidectomy?

Hello Shelley
It sounds similar to what I get anxiety feelings with hot flushes. Have you had your thyroid levels checked lately? I am 50 and approaching menopause. No fun this stage lol.

Aussiejenni

Old 03-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
(female)

Smile Re: Anyone with a total thyroidectomy?

Hi Aussie ... no I havent, everytime they ck em, they say that its normal, but I know different! I have been goin thru this long enough to know when they are messed up.

I am calling a new Endo tomorrow, praying she will ck everything, again ... I used to be a med, cant remember the name ... it was a compound thyroid med with both T3 and T4 ... but for whatever reason was taken off, of course I cant remember as my memory is pretty shoddy here lately ...

Thank you for your response, I hope u are having good days ...

This board has been a God sent for me, as I thought I was loosing it ... now I am sure that its my thyroid once again ...

Have a blessed day ...

Shelley

Old 03-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
(female)

aussiejenni HB User

Hi Shelley

If you go to the Thyroid Message Board they can offer you wonderful help in regards to all thyroid problems. With the thyroid testing make sure the tests FT4 and FT3 are done both should be in the upper part of normal range for us to feel well. However you could be having other hormone issues as well if you are in my age group.

Take care and goodluck

Aussiejenni

Last edited by aussiejenni; 03-04-2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Old 03-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
(female)

yeah, pretty sure "other" hormones are wacked as well, given I'm 48 and in periomenopause, so I've been told.

goin to new dr this week hopefully, and I am goin to insist on the T3 and T4. I have asked before, and they said the test they give me covered em, but it didnt.

after 13 yrs, I know when my levels are off. just finding a dr to treat the symptoms is hard to find.

u have been a huge help, hope to stay in touch.

blessings!

Shell

Old 03-07-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
(female)

cjanierun HB User
Re: Can ANYBODY help?

Hi there, I also had my thyroid removed a year ago. I have had really strange things happen. My blood work is normal, doc says I am on the right dosage that is "normal" but have been having cramps and strange "period" like symptoms for about a year. I have been without a period now for a little over 2 years. Yesterday morning I had very slight brownish discharge (sorry, TMI), but I somehow feel this is all hormone related. To be safe, I have a gyn appointment this morning @ 7:15 am. I am no doctor but this just seems strange. So I believe not having a thyroid can cause a lot of problems. Try and relax, go see your doctor and have it checked. But when blood work is good and all other tests are good, then it could just be a combination of menopause and thyroid being removed. Mine happened all at once. A very huge "blow" on the body. Good luck...stay positive. We will all get through this stage in our lives. Fingers crossed

Closed Thread

Tags
anxiety, breathing, menopause, thyroid