It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
(female)

Jrzgrl64 HB User
Taking Depo Provera... menopause questions

I am almost 48 years old and have been on Depo Provera for about 8 years. I took it due to menstrual migrains. With Depo, I never got my period. No period, no headaches. Typically, I'd get a migraine when I was due for another shot. The headaches never lasted more than 3 days.

This week, I've got one that's on day 4. It's a doozy. Even Zomig won't kill this one and it's always worked before. It knocks it down, but won't take it away completely. Due for my shot in 2 weeks.

Now for the questions. 1. How can I tell if I'm beginning menopause since I don't get my period?

2. Does Depo ease the other symptoms like hot flashes? I seem to get reallly hot early in the morning, right before I wake up. Nothing really during the day.

3. Will the Depo skew a hormone blood test?

4. After menopause is over, do migraines caused by menstruation go away?

I don't want to go off Depo, the headaches are too painful.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
(female)

Jrzgrl64 HB User
Re: Taking Depo Provera... menopause questions

After 4-day migraine, had my depo shot (early) on Monday. Migraine was gone Tues and Wed. Woke up this morning and it's back. Also have period-like cramps. This has never happened before.

When I was pregnant (18 years ago), I had migraines almost daily the first trimester. Awful morning sickness as well. Both the morning sickness and migraines went away at the same time.

I am really hoping menopause is not going to be like this. Can't I be put in a medically-induced coma until this is over?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
(female)

TraciMac92 HB User

I wish I had a answer for you. I'm starting the shots to lessen the hot flashes, migraines and heavy bleeding. Bloodwork checking hormone levels can be checked to find out if menopause is beginning.

I hope you feel better soon & per my gyno this is one of the best treatment options with the addition of vitamin E.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'm surprised your gyno didn't do an FSH reading before giving you the shot. Taking it now might skew the results.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:45 AM   #5
(female)

Jrzgrl64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraciMac92 View Post
I wish I had a answer for you. I'm starting the shots to lessen the hot flashes, migraines and heavy bleeding. Bloodwork checking hormone levels can be checked to find out if menopause is beginning.

I hope you feel better soon & per my gyno this is one of the best treatment options with the addition of vitamin E.
Thankfully, my migraine episode ended on 3/10. It lasted 9 days. Longest stretch ever with a migraine. I'm now keeping a calendar to see if there's any pattern. How much vitamin E do they recommend per day?

Old 04-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
(female)

Jrzgrl64 HB User
Red face Re: Taking Depo Provera... menopause questions

Well, the migraines are back. I've had two in the last three days, with a day break in between. Also back is the crampiness. Today, had what I think was my first daytime hot flash. I turned all red and felt like a 300 degree oven for about 15 minutes.

I hope this doesn't go on for years. I'll jump off a darn bridge!

How long does this last, on average?

Closed Thread