It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
(female)

slkane HB User
Only 43 years old. No period for 9 months. Please Help.

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to read about my story.

I am a woman of 43 and I have not had a period since July 2011. For some background info leading up to this long stretch of time, I will tell you that for several years I would have a few skipped periods each year.. this became more frequent as the years went on. For example, let's say 4 years ago I started having a period for a few months, then i would stop for a month, pick it back up .. next year, it would be two months skipped in between and so forth. I just assumed I was one of those people that got irregular periods.

Starting in 2008, I started getting my annual pap smears again just to be safe. All came back normal. In July 2011, I stopped having my period. I figured within 3 months, it would just start up like usual. When it became November 2011 with still no sign, I went to the doctors. I was given a pap smear, ultrasound and hormonal test for my levels. I was told that I had a simple cyst on my left ovary (about 3 cm's) but that my levels and everything else was normal. I was told to take Provera to bring on my period. The thing is ..... after reading about all the possible side effects, I am scared to death to take the pill. My doctor can't say that I am pre or perimenopausal yet I have A LOT of the symptoms. The fact that my levels seem fine, makes him think I am too young to be in the pre menopausal phase.

I have the facial flushing, hot flashes, memory issues, foggy thinking, dizziness, mood swings, irritability, insomnia the list goes on and on... yet there seems to be no organic cause they can pin point as to WHY I have no period. The longest I have gone prior to this has been 3 months, so this is new to me.

My question is .. Has anyone ever experienced this? Anyone have normal hormone levels yet actually perimenopausal???? Any other tests that might explain whats going on that you could recommend me so I can ask my doctor? Or, Have you been told to take Provera to bring on a period. If so, is it safe to take? Opinions, comments, advice is desperately needed. Thanks for listening.

The following user gives a hug of support to slkane:
Hummingbird913 (04-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
(female)

Spesken HB User
Wink Re: Only 43 years old. No period for 9 months. Please Help.

Hi only 43. I've read your story and it truly sounds to me like you are menopausal. Although I am no doctor, I will share mine and my sister's experience. My older sister by 2 years went full menopausal at the age of 42 and I at the age of 46. We are now 51 and 53. The level of hot flashes are very different between her and myself. Mine are very minimal and hers can be a bit more intense. We notice that they come in cycles much like our periods did and I confirmed this with my gynecologist. Since your tests are all normal it does not sound like you need to worry. However, I will say that our oldest sister who is 54 also experienced a 9 month period of no periods and then they started up again sporadically. But she is now also completely free of that albeit older than us at 51.
My gynecologist indicated that the earlier you start your period the earlier you will go through menopause. This makes sense as myself and 53 year old sister started at 11 and 12, whereas our oldest sister did not start until she was nearly 15!
Don't know anything about Provera and I can tell you that I take NO MEDS whatsoever, mostly because I am lucky and don't need to. Both of my sisters do take thyroid meds and one takes blood pressure and one takes an anti depressant. If it were me, I would avoid taking it especially because of the side effects.
I hope that helps and good luck, I hope you are worrying about nothing. Have a great day!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #3
(female)

Hummingbird913 HB User
Re: Only 43 years old. No period for 9 months. Please Help.

How Long has your doctor been watching the cyst? I am in the same boat with cysts on both ovaries and no period for three months. I have just agreed to start the Provera for 10 days and took my first pill last night. Like you, I have reservations about using this drug. Ovarian cysts are no joke either. Bringing on a period may clear the cysts and then avoid the need to do surgery and my case. My FSH was in the 40's which along with my irradic cycles does indicate peri menopause. Have you had an intrauterine biopsy? Yes, Provera has side affects but one 10-day course can really help your gyn to see what is happening.

Cindi

Closed Thread