It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User
Question Please help this 45 year old on what is best to do?????????

Hi all.

I am a 45 year old woman whom know pretty well I am in early stages of Permi. I also have Endometriosis and had surgery a few years ago to clean the pipes.......as the dr. would say.

My problem is My periods still come pretty much on time maybe a few day's off but the severe Cramps and fatigue and pain is killing me. I went to one OBGYN and right off the bat that I need a hystrorecomy. I Want to keep my overaires even if just one for I am not ready for menipause even though I know it will be coming.

What are so options? Should I see another OBGYN? I am on a antidepressant right now and anxiety medication for It sky rockets that time of the month.

I have just heard so many scary things about a Hystr. Like you age faster, gain weight, etc. Is this true? I have got to do something.........I can't handle being ill every month. Please, ANY Suggestions would be helpful............any.

God bless you all with this horrible disease, I have live with it for over 20 years, and not having any kids..................so please help..............I just want to feel somewhat better that time of the month..........

Old 04-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

himmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB Userhimmylover HB User
Re: Please help this 45 year old on what is best to do?????????

Please, maybe a IUD without hormones?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

For most of my life, my period was a non-issue. When all my friends were home in high school with heating pads on the abdomen for cramps, I was fine. Not until I hit my 40s did my periods become a pain in the butt! And that was just great. Having had the dumb thing for 30+ years NOW it decides to become a problem?

I would have horrible pain with my period. No clots or anything hugely different, just pain on the first and second days. Almost like early labor pain. Then they began hanging around for 9 days with spotting. My gyno just shrugged and said it was hormones and all part of getting older. Yeah, thanks buddy

So after much reading I decided to try progesterone cream. And it helped. I used to get it at the healthfood store. Now I'm taking a prescription cream from my BHRT doctor as over the counter isn't a high enough dosage. When you hit your 30s and 40s your progesterone begins to decline much more than your estrogen. Then you become estrogen dominant and too much estrogen can cause all kinds of physical things. Maybe read online a bit about estrogen dominance and see if it sounds like what you are experiencing. If so, try some progesterone cream. I would think with endo, you are producing more estrogen than progesterone and are out of balance.

Good luck! Perimeno has been a bear for me these past 6mos! I think I'd take the hysterectomy! Just kidding. I wouldn't but sometimes it's a tempting thought.

Last edited by irisrose; 04-04-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
(female)

tootired2care HB User

I finished going through meno (no periods) at your age and for about 2 years, Black Cohosh worked to control hot flashes/night sweats but after that I found myself on Prempro for the hot flashes. I had completely stopped sleeping from constant night sweats and was in pretty bad shape mentally/emotionally from lack of sleep (nut case). The progesterone in the Prempro was necessary because I still had a uterus and you can get cancer by taking estrogen only .... but the progesterone in the Prempro caused me to have painful fibroids so at the age of 50 I had a complete hysterectomy so that I could take Premarin (without the progesterone). Fast forward another 8 years (I'm now 55) and am now trying to wean myself off Premarin (very gradually) the hot flashes and night sweats are coming back but so far I am able to deal with it. I'm using Progest cream to counter the little estrogen I'm still taking (1/2 my usual Premarin pill but every other day now) because supposedly, if you are estrogen dominant, your meno symptoms are more severe. Also, I am trying various over the supplements in the hopes that one or more of them will keep the hot flashes at bay but will drop them one at a time once I am completely off the small amount of Premarin I am still taking - if the hot flashes get worse, I can add back whatever I have dropped and drop off a different one. This may sound like I have a ridiculous fear of hot flashes but it's the night sweats that are difficult to deal with when you have to work the next morning. I have lots of friends who still have all "the plumbing" and I look about 15 years younger than most of my friends who have also gone through menopause - I know it has to do with having taken estrogen for so long. Another reason I decided to go that route was because I have osteoporosis. It runs in my family. Taking estrogen protects your bones. My advice is to get the hysterectomy and get on some form of HRT until you are 55-60, then gradually wean off - very slowly. You will have put off menopause for a much longer time, kept your youthful appearance and you can decide when you want to go through menopause. One more thing, I weigh 128 and am 5'2" - I think a lot of women use "getting on up there" as an excuse to let themselves go. I hit the gym several days a week and eat healthy. You don't have to let a hysterectomy age you.

The Following User Says Thank You to tootired2care For This Useful Post:
himmylover (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you kindly.............just chasing my tail is all. Someone mentioned a Cream you apply for permi..........anyone know about this..........??? very light hormones in it......some swear by it........??? Any help is great........

God Bless.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
(female)

tootired2care HB User

It's called 'Progest" and you can get it at health food store, over the counter. You put 1/4 teaspoon on vascular (veiny) areas twice daily for 3-4 weeks, then take a break from it for 1 week, then back on for another 3-4 weeks........and so on.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

That's what I did for a few years was just use the progesterone cream at the health food store. But this past year when the peri-meno got really ramped up, I had to get prescription cream because the amount of progesterone in the health food store cream wasn't enough.

Because I still got a period, like you are himmylover, you would use it on day 14 through 28. I even used it, and still do, a lower dosage on days 8-14 to help with the rest of the symptoms of night sweats, PMS etc. My BHRT doctor said it was fine to use a lower dose in the first part of my cycle to help with the PMS that leads up to my period and to help with my night sweats. Just make sure you do not use it during your period.

And use it on thin skin areas, like the insides of your arms, neck, chest, backs of your knees, tops of feet. Try to steer clear of areas of fatty tissue like your abdomen and hips. The progesterone will absorb but will eventually build up in the fatty tissue and then that can cause more hormone imbalance.

Try the health food store cream and see if you see a difference. It was a big help to me in my early/mid 40s.

Last edited by irisrose; 04-09-2012 at 03:30 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to irisrose For This Useful Post:
himmylover (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you..........I need all the help I can get. BC is out of the question. Just want to keep my ovaries, but doctor wants to have a full blown hystro............

Closed Thread