It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
(female)

KPell2 HB User
Anxiety

Hi - I've been experiencing a lot of anxiety lately, rapid heart rate, shaking, burning hands and feet, that fluttering feeling in stomach. I feel this is all perimenopause related. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to calm yourself? I take a multi, iron, vitamin D, calcium/magnesium, Cq10 and fish oil. I cut out all caffeine and processed foods about a year ago. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
(female)

shell1 HB User
Re: Anxiety

I have to take xanax when I get anxiety, I get such a weird scarey feeling. I don't want to do or go anywhere I just want to hide. One thing that helps is slow deep breathing. In through the nose and out the mouth. It probably helps concentrating on the breathing instead of the anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
(female)

pammcat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPell2 View Post
Hi - I've been experiencing a lot of anxiety lately, rapid heart rate, shaking, burning hands and feet, that fluttering feeling in stomach. I feel this is all perimenopause related. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to calm yourself? I take a multi, iron, vitamin D, calcium/magnesium, Cq10 and fish oil. I cut out all caffeine and processed foods about a year ago. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
(female)

pammcat HB User

Im sorry that you are full of anxiety , so am i and at times just want to cry and i do my problem is that i get tremors from my peri but can get tremors from anxiety so im never quite sure what im dealing with. If you try to distract yourself even a little when you have an ugly sensation it does help. I used to go out in the air and walk a little it helps to calm you down and remind yourself it will pass......hope you get some relief....pam

Old 04-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

I have found ashwagandha is a very calming herb. It's also used as an adaptogenic for adrenal fatigue. I've researched it and, honestly, can't find anything bad about this supplement. The first few times I took it, I felt kind of tired but that passed the more I used it. I get it at a health food store. The one I buy is Himilyan brand. I think it's a higher quality. I began breaking it in half and taking it twice per day. Then I worked up to a whole pill.

I don't take it much now because I have a tincture I take for adaptogenic purposes and for energy and ashwagandha is in it.

If you read about ashwagandha, there are studies where people are comparing the use of ashwagandha to anti-anxiety meds and anti-depressants and finding very comparable results. Plus you won't have to worry about prescriptions and possible dependency. Worth a read if you're interested.

Last edited by irisrose; 04-28-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
(female)

Hodg48 HB UserHodg48 HB User

Severe anxiety was the beginning of my peri symptoms. I feel my system is so hyper-sensitive because of the hormone fluctuations that almost every vitamin, supplement or herb is treated as a stimulant. After many tries, I have concluded that the only things I can take are my anti-depressants, ativan when needed and a sleeping pill. Anything else (calcium, multi-vitamin or herb) and my anxiety is worse. I took a cal/mag supplement for years, but now I can't. At the beginning I think my progesterone was high because the cal/mag helped me and I was dealing with more depression but now I think my estrogen is high because I feel more anxious and hyper. I don't know if this applies to you but I know I can't take any supplements.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

The anxiety is so horrid! I am taking progesterone supplements from a compounding pharmacy. Because I still have a regular period, I'm directed to take the progesterone starting day 12 or 14 through day 28. During those two weeks, I don't feel any anxiety. I fall asleep, I don't sleep fantastic, but I do fall asleep and sleep. Well, I'm on my 2 weeks off of the progesterone and I can't stand it. I can't fall asleep, I have to take something to fall asleep because my brain will.not.sleep. I get shots of anxiety and heart palpitations. I can deal with it during the day but when I'm laying in bed trying to sleep, the adrenaline bursts or anxiety or whatever it is will jolt me out of my sleep I'm just counting the hours till I can take my progesterone come Friday.

When will this end? :cry: Honestly, I could manage and deal with most of the peri-stuff if it didn't affect my sleep so much. Either I can't fall asleep or I fall asleep then I wake up sweaty. The closest to normal sleep is when I'm taking progesterone supplements. And it is nice to not feel the anxiety or feel so easily startled when I'm on it.

I have no idea why I'm so hyper-sensitive to hormone fluctuations. I think I always have been. Birth control pills were always difficult for me, horrible morning sickness when pregnant. I guess that's just how my body reacts to any change in hormones

Old 05-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
(female)

Leegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB User

You mentioned that you take calcium. I have read that calcium carbonate can make anxiety/despression worse. You may want to try increasing your magnesium. Magnesium glycinate is a good one. If you have the time, do a google search on "magnesium and depression" as there are many articles on it. Magnesium can be very calming.

Closed Thread