It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
Is any one using or have used Prometrium (progesterone capsule)

My BHRT dr wants me to try Prometrium or another oral progesterone that would be compounded by a compounding pharmacy to help with my night time sweats and insomnia. She said something about the metabolites in oral progesterone make women sleepier and calmer and help with the night sweats.

I've been using a compounded progesterone cream that helps with the anxiety feelings but not really eliminated the night sweats and insomnia/light sleep that I've been having.

I've been reading about Prometrium and it sounds like it really is far better for helping with sleep and night sweats. But I'm also finding a lot about blood clots. Even though the Prometrium is not synthetic and made from plants, the blood clot issue pops up in safety info on it.

Is or has anyone used it? What did you think? How long did you use it? Did your doctor warn about blood clots?

Thanks!!

Old 04-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
(female)

sandy0055 HB User
Re: Is any one using or have used Prometrium (progesterone capsule)

I have been taking progesterone in a micronized oral time-release capsule compounded by a compounding pharmacist for about 9 months now. My main symptom was nausea (and it was really bad), and oral progesterone is supposed to help more with nausea due to the way it is metobolized. I also have had a lot of trouble sleeping. I am much better than I was last year, but can't be certain it's from the BHRT or just progressing through peri. I still have nausea/queasiness every morning but not so much during the day. I started having night sweats about 4 months ago (while on the progesterone) but they aren't really bad. I can usually now fall asleep ok, but wake many times during the night. I have also tried the compounded progesterone cream--not sure there is a lot of difference, but the capsule is definitely much more convenient. My last hormone test showed everything pretty well within range, but I'm still having symptoms so I'm kind of frustrated. I was not aware that oral progesterone had greater risks for blood clots, but have read that it can raise blood pressure and you must be careful if you already have high blood pressure (mine has always been kind of low and is now in the normal range). I take my pill about 1/2 hr before bed, but back when I was still having some erratic periods (had to stop taking it when a period would start until it was over) my insomnia didn't seem to be any worse on the days I didn't take it. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

Thanks Sandy. I'm going to call the compounding pharmacy today and talk to them about their oral progesterone. The Prometrium is made by a conventional pharmacy so must meet FDA standards. What I keep reading is bioidentical progesterone from plants does not carry the same risks as synthetic. However, because of the FDA standards, that warning of blood clots and strokes must be put on the hormone because of an old study by the Women's Health Institute with synthetic progesterone. The FDA has not changed anything despite some of these hormones are plant derived. But I must say, I can't find definitively if bioidentical progesterone does not present a risk of blood clots.

Some of the other side effects of this Prometrium doesn't sound very good - a lot of dizziness, even many hours after taking it. I don't want that. I found a message board for drug reviews and some women have really bad reactions to it. I'm wondering if it's something else in the capsule or if it's the actual progesterone itself.

I just need help with sleep and anxiety. On the progesterone cream, the anxiety doesn't just bubble up out of nowhere like it used to. But I'm still sleeping very shallowly and light, waking up a lot or waking and taking a long time to fall back to sleep. Then the sweats and heart palpitations are getting annoying.

I just wish my body could adjust to these new hormone levels and I wouldn't have to take anything. My last blood levels showed very normal ranges so I have no idea why I still have so much trouble .

Last edited by irisrose; 04-30-2012 at 07:50 AM.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
(female)

sandy0055 HB User

It's comforting for me to hear you say your last hormone levels were within normal ranges but you are also still having symptoms. I'm really frustrated with that too. I agree that the risks of oral micronized progesterone are small, especially if you are healthy, but I'd really like to get off everything too. I also take a compounded topical cream with a small amount of testosterone, DHEA and a very small amount of estriol. I had switched to the progesterone cream for a while but ended up going back to the oral form. I am now 3 months without a period (I went almost 7 months last year then started again) so I am hoping as I get closer to the 1-year mark I can start weaning off. Last year I had extreme insomnia--couldn't get to sleep and would wake at 2-3 am and could not go back to sleep and had extreme anxiety. Now, the anxiety is gone and I can usually get to sleep but still wake several times throughout the night, sometimes with difficulty getting back to sleep. Usually have about 3-5 night sweats during the night. I'll be interested to hear what the compounding pharmacy tells you about the oral progesterone--I don't think I've experienced any bad reactions. I do take it at night, but it is sustained release.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Thanks again Sandy! I talked to the compounding pharmacy and I'm going to get the oral progesterone from them. They make it in a tablet form so if I need to adjust my dose I can by splitting the pill. You can't do that with the Prometrium from the regular pharmacy because it's an oil filled capsule.

That's my biggest complaint right now is the sleep. I have gotten better where I can fall asleep. It used to be that it would take hours to finally fall asleep, then I'd sleep for a few hours and then wide awake. And those few hours of sleep seemed really light and shallow. Or I would get this shot of anxiety in my chest. It would happen during the day but I could ignore it because I was busy. But when it would do that when I was trying to fall asleep made it impossible to fall asleep. The anxiety is pretty much gone. Yay!. Now I can fall asleep most nights but wake up several times a night. Most of the time I can fall back to sleep but some nights it takes awhile. I still feel like my sleep is really light and easily disrupted. Then I get hot or I wake up sweaty.

So my dr wanted me to try the oral progesterone because something about how it metabolizes causes more drowsiness. And I've read reviews where it really helps with sleep. Plus I was absorbing the progesterone too well and my level was actually above what she likes to see, yet I felt fine, not fatigued like women do with too much progesterone.

I'm like you, I want to get off of this stuff as soon as I can. I've been taking progesterone cream and 1mg testosterone cream once per day (only on day 14-28) since February. I keep hoping it's possible to level out and wean down or off. But who knows. I'm just peri-menopausal so I've got some time before menopause and more hormone fun along the way

Closed Thread