It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User
Zoloft

Hi Ladies!!
Does anyone have any experience with Zoloft for PMS and Perimenopause symptoms?
I went to a new doctor and really liked her, she is doing all sorts of blood work and checking all of my hormones. My only problem is that she wants me to try Zoloft starting today to see if it helps me.
I was thinking I would wait until the blood work comes back????

I am also concerned about weight gain on Zoloft..I have to work hard on my weight so I don't need any "help" to gain..

Anyway, any input at all would be great.
Thanks to Everyone for your help!
b.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
Re: Zoloft

I've never taken it but have had plenty of doctors wanting me to take some kind of anti-anxiety or anti-depressants. I've refused, except for xanex for the really bad times and take that on an as need basis.

I've been reading about all of these drugs, SSRIs they're called. I always assumed the doctors had no idea of how to help with hormone issues so this was the easiest way to try and help a hormonal woman. But what I've found is what these drugs do is help with some of the hormonal things that cause us perimeno and menopausal symptoms. First of all they do tend to preserve the amount of seritonin in our brains. That regulates mood and sleep. But what I also found is these types of drugs also help produce allopregnanolone which is a metabolite of progesterone. Apparently this allopregnanolone from progesterone is what makes us feel happy and makes us feel calm.

So there is a reason for them prescribing these drugs to hormonal women, but like you, I still am hesitant to take them. When I use my progesterone cream, I feel pretty calm so am going to stick with that till I hopefully get all the kinks worked out. Also what I worry about is these drugs have to be taken consistently, not for a week or two when things might be rough and then stopped. I don't want to be chained to a drug, maybe for forever. Once my brain gets adapted to these drugs, can I quit one day and feel fine? Or will there be a period of feeling bad till my brain chemicals readjust? Can I make it through that without caving and going back on? I never needed these drugs before perimeno so is this something I want to introduce because of difficult time in my life that may resolve in time on it's own? Then I have added something that might not be so easily discontinued. I hate taking drugs anyway and that is why I resist SSRIs because it's too permanent.

I know these drugs are really helpful to a lot of people. And I might benefit from them myself since I have anxiety and sleep problems as my main complaint of perimeno. But I really don't want to mess with my already messed up brain chemicals from hormones.

The Following User Says Thank You to irisrose For This Useful Post:
b0redmember (05-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

IrisRose, Thank you for the reply.. I agree with you. I had been on Prozac for awhile when my Dad died and I noticed some short term memory loss and weight gain. I know they are different drugs, but honestly they all make me nervous.
Now my Doc says that Zoloft is actually one that can be taken only during PMS. But since I have PMS symptoms twice a month, she thinks I should be on it all the time. I just don't like the idea of medication as a band-aid instead of fixing the problem.
There is also the whole weight gaining issue. I have read that most people gain between 20 and 30 pounds. I just can't do that...I work way too hard to keep the weight off.

Take care of you!!
b.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'll give you my take on it and how it applied to me. When I started having peri issues and mentioned it to my male gyno. He gave me bellegral - a bella donna derivative heavy duty tranquilizer. I refused to take it (my mother was a serious scrip addict so I knew what that was like) When I was having pretty serious peri issues, my now ex - who is a molecular biologist - sat me down and told me that if I didn't go to the gyno he was locking up the kitchen knives and guns. So, we sat down and made a list of all my symptoms - horrid night sweats, dry vagina, bladder issues, crazy woman tirades, etc, etc, etc. I found a female gyno and off I went. We talked about the list and she examined me. She changed my birth control pills and IN TWO WEEKS TIME all symptoms were GONE! Out of here...nada. So I stayed with that till I could tell my body wasn't wanting the period the bcp were forcing on it and at about 57 I went on HRT. I am now 66 and have never looked back. I plan to stay on HRT as long as my doctors allow it. And they say as long as I am sexually active I should stay on it. My sister had 2 partial hysterectomies by the age of 33 and has been on HRT ever since and she's 65. They'll have to pry it from my hands. I do not have an emotional issue - I have a low hormone issue. So why treat it any other way as long as I have NO history that would discount using it?

Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Titchou... My big problem with that is that I have high blood pressure. It is controlled with medication, but my new doc doesn't like bc pills or HRT for folks with high blood pressure.
She has suggested progesterone only solutions..

What are your thoughts?
b.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

Thanks for the information Titchou. Good to hear it from someone who actually has been through it.

That's why I've resisted the anti-anxiety/depressants. This is something that sprang up with my age and I know it's hormone related. So why should I take something that is going to affect brain chemicals that might not need messing with? Sure it might help with a couple of things, but what might it *not* help? I have felt better with the bhrt but still am having a difficult time getting to some level of normalcy. But things have improved and I hope with time I will get closer to normal. As I said before, I have some xanex to use when things get really whacko, but that's usually only at bedtime when the anxiety keeps me from sleeping. I don't take it during the day because I can manage well enough - it's nighttime when the anxiety gets boiling up and I can't stop it. But even with that, I try very hard to use it as sparingly as possible.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I developed high blood pressure about 5 years ago. It's obviously genetic as I eat a very healthy diet, jog regularly (do 5Ks every so often) and wrok out with a trainer twice a week. My PCP and my gyno both know this but it is controlled by meds (lisinopril HCT). Neither has a problem with me being on HRT too. My sister got the bad copy of the cholesterol gene though she also eats very healthy and works out regularly. Both of us are within 10 pounds of our college weight, wear a size 4 or 6. Our father had chotesterol and heart issues - as did his father. So it's very certain to be genetic. We're doing all we can on our end. Our mother was on premarin for decades - evn though she had a clotting issue that kept her on coumadin for years. So it can be done successfully

Closed Thread