It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #16
(female)

beenrunning HB User
Cool Re: Tendonitis and severe fatigue during peri and full menopause

just found this site tonight and it so describes my woes. A year ago I was a 3 1/2hr marathoner, and regular won other races in my age group. I never suffered soreness or stiffness no matter the distance or the speed I ran. Then, in the space of 2 missed periods I was struggling to stand in the morning with the pain in my feet. The tendons in my fingers, arms, wrists, hamstrings, shoulders and back were excruciatingly painful and kept me awake at nights and in misery by day. My leg muscles weakened to the point where I struggled through 4mile. I felt 90yrs old rather than the extremely fit 51yrs old that I had been just 2 months earlier. If I dropped something I couldnt bend down to pick it up. My gynae said she had never heard anything like it before but suggested hrt as I had missed 2 periods. My doc ran bloods, rheumatoid factor, thyroid and adrenals - all came up clear and healthy. He knows I'm a runner (he is too) but is totally confused. I rested and tried all the natural food things, had physio and greatly reduced my training (out of necessity rather than choice). It didnt make much difference. I didnt take the HRT. Then periods came back and things improved and I made it through a couple of successful half marathons in the meantime. Then, in March this year, following my last Half win, I had 9 bleeds in 5 weeks and since then nothing. Pains came back, worse in the hamstrings and to a lesser extent fingers, wrists and lower back. I finally made the link with depleted hormones and decided that HRT was the next step. I have no intention of giving up running if there is a solution. I have no intention of feeling old and in pain for the next 40 years. So I start on Bhrt just one month ago and already I have more energy, my muscles are feeling stronger and my legs, although still causing exquisite pain the day after a long run, are improving slowly. In fact my entire body flares up after a long run which makes no sense other than it's hormonal. Therefore - no question about it, menopause and tendonitis go hand in hand and maybe particularly for sports folk who will obviously notice it more due to more extreme activity. It is NOT joint pain. My joints are as painfree and mobile as a childs. I feel the risks of hrt are far less than the risks of not being able to exercise. I'm racing again next sunday - first one since March !!

The following user gives a hug of support to beenrunning:
jules200262 (10-02-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to beenrunning For This Useful Post:
jules200262 (10-02-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
(female)

DC1962 HB UserDC1962 HB User
Re: Tendonitis and severe fatigue during peri and full menopause

Hi beenruning...what HRT are you on? Conjugated estrogen isn't working as well as I had hoped, so asking around to see what is helping others. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #18
(female)

beenrunning HB User

Estreva (estradiol) as a topical gel (morning) and Utrogestan orally (night). So far no unpleasant side effects and they have made a difference to how I feel. I started a month ago on half dose and am only just getting to full recommended dose this week. I felt my sore ravaged body would tolerate a slow raising of hormone levels better than a full onslaught from the start. Mqybe that's nonsense but its working for me.

Tendon and muscle pains are hardly there this past week except for the hamstrings which I think have been so damaged it will take more time until they are fully healed and tolerating what used to be the norm for me.

What I would love to know from anyone out there - has anyone ever fully recovered from this tendonitis and gone back to being as fit and strong as pre-menorpause days ??

How or why does the medical profession ignore this issue? I find it hard to believe that a city gynae with a big practise has never seen this before.

DC1962 (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #19
Inactive
(female)

jules200262 HB User

Hi and thanks to everyone who has joined this discussion about menopausal tendonitis (I refuse to call it 'tendinitis'!). Although it is, of course, very sad that there are so many of you out there who are sharing the horrors of menopausal tendon pain, I am very relieved that so many people have come forward.

As has been mentioned many times by many people, there is a stark difference between joint pain and tendon pain, and it does seem that we sporty types are noticing it far more than others, who may well not ever notice it as they won't have used their muscles to the extent that we have.

Even though I am a physiotherapist, an osteopath, and a podiatrist, I did begin to have doubts about my own sanity regarding this issue! I was particularly delighted to read that there is actually a nurse who is undertaking research into the subject of menopausal tendonitis. This is not something that would be tolerated if men had periods and menopauses!

I have recently started on Femoston Conti and cannot wait to see if there is any improvement in my symptoms. Meanwhile, I continue to be unable to perform at badminton and squash, but as I will NOT stop playing for long, also continue to aggravate my widespread tendon pain.

Please continue to share your experiences with tendonitis. Maybe things will get moving in the right direction amongst the medical profession if our plight becomes acknowledged. Best wishes to you all.

Last edited by jules200262; 10-02-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #20
Inactive
(female)

jules200262 HB User

Hi and thanks to everyone who has joined this discussion about menopausal tendonitis (I refuse to call it 'tendinitis'!). Although it is, of course, very sad that there are so many of you out there who are sharing the horrors of menopausal tendon pain, I am very relieved that so many people have come forward.

As has been mentioned many times by many people, there is a stark difference between joint pain and tendon pain, and it does seem that we sporty types are noticing it far more than others, who may well not ever notice it as they won't have used their muscles to the extent that we have.

Even though I am a physiotherapist, an osteopath, and a podiatrist, I did begin to have doubts about my own sanity regarding this issue! I was particularly delighted to read that there is actually a nurse who is undertaking research into the subject of menopausal tendonitis. This is not something that would be tolerated if men had periods and menopauses!

I have recently started on Femoston Conti and cannot wait to see if there is any improvement in my symptoms. Meanwhile, I continue to be unable to perform at badminton and squash, but as I will NOT stop playing for long, also continue to aggravate my widespread tendon pain.

Please continue to share your experiences with tendonitis. Maybe things will get moving in the right direction amongst the medical profession if our plight becomes acknowledged. Best wishes to you all.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
(female)

wildtexspirit HB User

I don't know if my pains relate to the same problem but I have started to notice pain in my left hip that causes my cheek on it to hurt. I get pains in my arms and legs even at times. But not sure like I said if it has anything to do with it.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:42 AM   #22
(female)

Thumbs up Re: Tendonitis and severe fatigue during peri and full menopause

Jules - I am very interested to hear how HRT helps you. Unfortunately, it made no difference to me (athough that could be because the progression and general pathology of tendonitis is lengthy, no matter the cause.) My shoulder tendon pain is far worse than it was, and I actually think on top of everything, I now have developed some sort of frozen shoulder as my movement is so limited. The pain radiates into my neck and down into my wrist, and it is really getting me down. I had high hopes that conjugated estrogen would wave a magic wand over my trouble...but sadly not.

Sorry to sound doom and gloomish - of course, I really hope it helps you. Could you please update in a month or so? According to my GP that is how long it would take to notice any benefit.

Last edited by DC1962; 10-03-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #23
(female)

beenrunning HB User

I spent months preferring to stand as my sit bones just hurt so much. It was the hamstring origins that were the problem. It's possible you could be at the beginnings of something similar. 2x week heavy duty massage from a strong physio helped, as did the elecro therapy he applied afterwards.
Aga

Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #24
(female)

beenrunning HB User
Talking Re: Tendonitis and severe fatigue during peri and full menopause

oops - hadnt quite finished there and it posted itself.
My physio is a very good sports physio and has been totally astonished and confused that I would have come to him with bilateral hamstring origin tendoniitis - (and also complaining of bilateral all over tendonitis as well). The HOT is a common enough runners problem but not the way I presented.
Again - the idea of it being hormone related never entered his head.

I think so many menopausal symptoms are being written off as something else because its easier than researching this whole area that is giving us so much grief. Women are much more active into their 50's than ever before so the tendon/muscle issues must be affecting many more of us. However, as many of us are 'athletes' (for want of a better word) we would have first thought overuse, overtraining, etc.... The idea of hormones causing such turmoil in this way certainly never entered my head for a long time.
In fact, it was only looking back at the bigger picture of my experiences in the past year that I was able to see the pattern developing and finally added 2 and 2 to get HRT.

I must say, I feel much more content this week having found this forum and knowing that it is hormones and not a dreadful auto-immune disease I have.

The following user gives a hug of support to beenrunning:
DC1962 (10-03-2012)
DC1962 (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #25
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenrunning View Post
I must say, I feel much more content this week having found this forum and knowing that it is hormones and not a dreadful auto-immune disease I have.

I can SO identify with you there. This has been so insiduous and unrelenting - I have gone from simply noticing more than my fair share of mild aches to being in constant pain and feeling like I have 'seized up'. Sometimes in the wee small hours, I think I am slowly turning to stone, or becoming paralysed. I was thinking all sorts of horrible things - and because I have medical background - googling doesn't help as I understand far too much 'techy' speak! I am not one to allow my imagination to run away with me but this pain (and now stiffness) is like nothing I have ever felt before and I thought I must have some sinister and progressive neuro illness. I was even considering having a recent dental implant removed as I thought I might be 'allergic' to the titanium - and it all started after I had it done! Even now, I find it hard to compute that lack of hormones can make me feel so desperate and sore. Especially when the GP finds it equally as surprising.

Last edited by DC1962; 10-03-2012 at 08:01 AM.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #26
(female)

diorgrace HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules200262 View Post
I have read a lot from women here who are experiencing symptoms dismissed by doctors (and others!), that they know full well to be due to either peri or full menopause.

I am experiencing many utterly foul things, including severe tendon pain and tendonitis in various parts of my body, that will simply not heal up. As you can imagine, this is insufferable and there is apparently no help available, leaving me searching the internet endlessly for research papers linked to menopausal symptoms, to no avail. My sporting life is in tatters, which will mean little to those who do not indulge, but a great deal to those who do.

I am also so fatigued that I feel I can no longer function. I have seen many, many mentions of this ghastly fatigue on this forum, but even here, folk are trying to help by advising exercise. I have had to STOP exercising because I simply can't do it any more. Being a highly active sportswoman, I am finding this impossible to deal with and am actually feeling suicidal, as the life I am facing, or think I am facing, is not one I can deal with. Getting out of bed and finding my legs shaking prior to feeling like I just want to get right back in again is not my idea of a quality day!

I am not writing this to gain sympathy, but to ascertain whether or not there are in fact thousands of others out there who are suffering this. I am particularly interested to hear of other people's experiences with tendon pain, as I have hit a brick wall with my research on this one! Although joint pain is often mentioned, I have yet to come across a reference to tendonitis, which has practically crippled the right side of my body and both Achilles tendons.
hello, first of all i am so sorry for the pain of the people who are suffering from menopause in this world and in this post!!! i too have suffered many things, and am still suffering! but i have given my body over to Jesus and have asked Him to be the Lord of it and therefore i know i will make it thru, even in my very darkest doubting hour!!!
i am so thankful for sites like this that have helped me identify and also helped me period in the fact that noone else knows what is going on, so i am glad we have each other.
i too started to experience this tendonitis right after i turned 50..have been very healthy and active in my life and expecially older years, and no reason to expect terrible disease etc..my periods dramatically changed and all sorts of things began happening, with what i call "menopausal tendonitis" being one of them. i have conquered many things, but just recently took a hormonal test and are enough it came out low in estrogen ..like 0.8 and low in progesterone and the ratio also being low..so now for going on two weeks i am on phytoB which a nature path has prescribed..i am excited to finally be doing something that will most likely bring my estrogen etc up!!! i should have done it a long time ago..as this has been going on since end of may. i tried many of the conventional and not so conventional remedies for tendonitis and finally of the conclusion that untill i give it what it is hungary for it will not heal!!!! so i took a saliva test. i am totally into the natural and really not into doctors at all because so many of them know nothing of what is going on and know nothing of the things that can go wrong when you have perimenopause or menopause they know about a mood swing and hot flash, and from there you just have something horrible wrong..so i have avoided many of them, and Jesus has ben my guide and Healer. i truly beleive that no matter what i have wrong as long as i give it to Him He will use it for good. i have prayed for the people that have helped me on the internet and who are suffering..i know your pain. one of the reasons i wrote back is to tell you how much you helped me just by having someone and something to identify with, but also to ask if you ever were able to find help. another person on the internet was saying that we have many estrogen receptors in our muscles tendon's etc and that is why we suffer sometimes in menopause with lack of estrogen. thank you again for posting here, and i look forward to hearing from you..i really do pray that you did receive some help, please let me know. God Bless You..jacqueline

Old 11-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #27
(female)

Just an update.

After three months on low dose HRT, have now been on the higher dose of Prempak-C for just over ten days....and it is like a miracle. I still have a frozen shoulder, as that will not just heal up overnight, but I have absolutely no other tendon pain and am no longer on pain relief 24/7, and no longer feel like I am ninety years old. It is definitely my 'cure' and I am dreading the day I have to come off it.....

Old 11-30-2012, 03:19 AM   #28
(female)

cathyzc HB Usercathyzc HB User

Hi everyone i dont know if mne sounds the same but its looking a bit like some of them.Im 45 and wonering what is happening today is day 23 of my cyle im either getting my period between day 24 and 26 and my legs are in agony.Mainly my left leg and my bum on one side the only way to describe my bum is it feels like i have a pressure sore or bed sore and i feel like i have been in the gym for 10 hours.But my leg is burning and hurting my legs shake and like ive got internal tremors going off.My feet are really sore i have noticed its quite worse about 6 days before my period and lasts till my periods over.Im in the house not wanting to walk about much its horrible is anyone else feeling like this

Old 11-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #29
(female)

diorgrace HB User

so happy you are feeling so much better!!! everything is only for a time, don't worry about when you have to go off..if you went off and you still needed it, go back on..it will pass..i am doing better, but still have pain, more pain when my periods decide to come back..i have had really bad times and times that have been much much better, it has been going on for almost 7 months..since my periods changed drastically. i do not know when it will end, but i have faith it will. some things last longer, other things are shorter. but i am wondering what you call HRT, i take herbal remedy from thiland and that is what they call HRT..and what is prempacC? i cannot take strong hormone things..they irritate my system..i tried one natural herbal and it made my arms worse. but am just curious what those two items are. but i am soo happy you have found relief!!! Praise God Almighty!!!

Old 05-31-2013, 06:40 AM   #30
(female)

evaj HB User

Check out trigger therapy, helped me to raise my arm in few days.
You just need a tennisball and massage your upper back with it
against the wall.

Closed Thread