It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

kittylady HB User
Perimenopause or ulcer?

Over the past four months, I don't know my own body sensations anymore. During the winter, I developed left side stomach pain which I think might be an ulcer. The problem is, the symptoms seem to keep evolving - they don't seem to be the same as they did when I first got them. I lost about 30 pounds over the winter too, since all this started. I had various blood tests and a pelvic ultrasound, so far results all look good. I have an endoscopy scheduled in about a month, it's been a long and agonizing wait. I live in Canada where the health care is free, but there's a bit of a wait sometimes.

I'm 51, periods still regular, until this all started I felt pretty good except for a slowly diminishing appetite. I was a weekend drinker, but on weekends I could down a bottle of wine on Saturday, then take a few Ibuprofen that evening and on the following morning. One Saturday afternoon I felt a piercing pain in my upper left side that didn't go away for a few hours. I also had a few incidences of serious gastric reflux over the winter. I had this occasionally before, but it seemed to get worse during the winter.

I also feel cold a lot of the time, right now. That seems to be the only hypothyroid symptom I have. I have upper back pain, left side abdominal pain (upper), gas pains which seem to move. There has been no day where I did not have abdominal or gastric symptoms. Back when this started, I had no appetite (that's improved), early satiety (get full easy, still do, but it's a bit better). I have a gut feeling that when I have the endoscopy nothing will be found, that I am either going through perimenopause or have escalating symptoms caused by anxiety. Of course, there's ulcer or GERD or gastritis to consider. I hope it isn't pancreatitis. I just wanted to tell my story in case anyone has anything interesting or a comparable story.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
(female)

kittylady HB User
Re: Perimenopause or ulcer?

Hi, I forgot to say that I also have a central piercing pain in my abdomen sometimes, around the breastbone, and some occasional burning there. And I did have mild nausea/queasiness but that seems to be resolving so far. And my sense of smell is far more sensitive. So I'm not sure whether the intense sense of smell is due to my stomach issues or perimenopause.

Do any women on this forum in peri- or menopause have a peptic or gastric ulcer, and in their experience did hormones make symptoms worse? I'd love to know their experiences.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
(female)

Sugar Pie HB User

I noticed this thread was kinda older. Did your endoscopy tell you anything? I am 44 and think I am going thru peri menopause too. I had the same left side stomach pains last year but it was when I was working two jobs, had back pain and was popping naproxen and ibuprofen's like candy. My doctor seemed to think it was an ulcer and prescribed omeprazole. I took the omeprazole for about a month and laid off the nsaids and it seemed to get better.

I am now taking 500mg of asprin with food whenever I need to for back pain this year and so far haven't had any stomach problems. But I also have gerd and take dexilant too. So not sure if it was peri menopause symptom or really ulcer.

Anyways hope you are feeling better and we can get thru this menopause and feel better all around.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sugar Pie For This Useful Post:
kittylady (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
(female)

kittylady HB User

Hi Sugar Pie, I had a negative endoscopy. I took quite a lot of ibuprofen over the last winter, so I was sure I had an ulcer or damage to my stomach lining. Ibuprofen and aspirin are pretty hard on the stomach. I haven't taken an ibuprofen since last February. Not having much left side pain anymore, which is something I'm happy about! I hope it doesn't come back.

I have varying digestive issues that keep changing, so I am suspicious that it is somehow related to perimenopause, or possibly anxiety (also part of perimenopause).

My stomach is fairly stable at this point, and my appetite is pretty good right now too. I had a total anxiety meltdown when my stomach went out on me last winter. I try not to think about my digestion too much, and I eat much more carefully than I did. Worrying seems to make it worse.

The Following User Says Thank You to kittylady For This Useful Post:
Sugar Pie (11-25-2012)
Closed Thread