It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
(female)

whitsmom HB User
No period since May but symptoms?

Hello all! Just wondering about some things. I haven't had a period since May 23. First time I've skipped that long without being on the pill. I'm 51 years old and fairly certain I'm in perimenopause. I know I have a uterine fibroid, but it hasn't grown in the last two years. This afternoon, I had a round of pain way down low in my pelvis. Went to the bathroom and it has now just faded away. Not sure if it's connected to my question, or not.

My question is this...when any of you started missing periods, did you still have the abdominal discomfort/sore breasts, moodiness, etc., as if you were going to have your period? I think I'd feel better if I would have a period, weird as that sounds. I almost feel "stopped up" and heavy. I know how goofy that sounds!! But, if anybody here has felt that way, I'd be interested to know! I'm just kind of poking around, trying to distinguish symptoms of peri from possibly anything else.
Thanks!

Old 07-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
(female)

gogo548 HB Usergogo548 HB User
Re: No period since May but symptoms?

I hear ya! When I got my last AF, I felt like someone let the pin out of me! Relief! LOL

I also haven't had AF since May. I can't say that I've felt the physical symptoms so much, but I am experiencing the mood swings. Like PMS, but no M!

However, I've now got a new set of symptoms: Heart flutters. ugh

Hopefully someone else can offer you more advice. But, I do think it is pretty common to feel the symptoms.

gogo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
(female)

Hettel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsmom View Post
Hello all! Just wondering about some things. I haven't had a period since May 23. First time I've skipped that long without being on the pill. I'm 51 years old and fairly certain I'm in perimenopause. I know I have a uterine fibroid, but it hasn't grown in the last two years. This afternoon, I had a round of pain way down low in my pelvis. Went to the bathroom and it has now just faded away. Not sure if it's connected to my question, or not.

My question is this...when any of you started missing periods, did you still have the abdominal discomfort/sore breasts, moodiness, etc., as if you were going to have your period? I think I'd feel better if I would have a period, weird as that sounds. I almost feel "stopped up" and heavy. I know how goofy that sounds!! But, if anybody here has felt that way, I'd be interested to know! I'm just kind of poking around, trying to distinguish symptoms of peri from possibly anything else.
Thanks!
I know exactly how you feel, I go two or three months without one and feel miserable, feel bloated, heavy feeling too, then when I finally have a period, I feel great, no pain, lots of energy....I'm not looking forward to menopause, if that is what it is going to feel like, I would rather have my periods....

Old 07-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
(female)

whitsmom HB User

Well, I guess it's good that I'm not alone in this, but I wouldn't wish it on anybody!! I feel like a SLUG!!! And, I agree, if this is menopause, I'd much rather continue with my period. UGH!!

Old 07-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
(female)

AGemini HB User

Wow, I totally know how you feel. I'm 45 and am still waiting for TOM. Was supposed to get it July 3. It feels like it's going to come but doesn't. I feel sick to my stomach a lot, numbness in me legs, sore calves, feel bloated, sore boobs, hurting around my right ovary and so forth. I've never been this late except for pregnancy.
My Mother had similar symptoms at my age but didn't get full on menopause until she was 50. Am I starting?

Old 07-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
(female)

Snowangels HB User

Another one here who hasn't had a period since May. My periods were perfect up until then...and then I got sick (I've gotten strep & flu twice each this year). I JUST turned 47 and was not ready for this. I don't even think I dealt with turning 47 yet! I've been charting for years due to infertility, and continued because I wanted to know if something was off, as I always got a period even if it was annovulatory. I've used alot of chinese medicine & herbs to keep things normal, because I've been dealing with non-traditional PCOS too.

I'm fighting it kicking and screaming. So I've gone back to using progesterone cream and maca. It seems to have kickstarted things and I see a line on an OPK, but who knows if that'll fizzle out. I'm having daytime hotflashes - something I've never experienced before. Weeping like crazy one second, then laughing hysterically the next. I feel like I'm going nuts, and I do believe my husband does too.

For anyone that's interested, 8 flavor Rehmannia teapills (chinese medicine) work great for the nightsweats. They are a different deal in chinese medicine than hot flashes. Has to do with kidney yin deficiency, and is often used by menopausal women. Yin is important for transformation to ovulation, so using that has helped me too. But nothing is helping the hot flashes and the emotional outbursts.

My Mom went thru meno at 52, and I am not prepared for this. Emotionally it is the final door shut on my face fertility wise (which I already knew was shut, but meno is REALLY final).

Anyway, you are all not alone, and I'm glad I'm not. None of my friends are going through the peri symptoms yet except for the emotional part. None of them even want to talk about it because nobody wants to admit it. So it tends to be isolating. Did I say I wasn't ready for this already? Oh, the memory sucks too.

ETA: I got menstrual cycle very young, so I was always anticipating the rule of thumb that the earlier you got it, the later you go through menopause. What happened to that rule?

Last edited by Snowangels; 07-28-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
(female)

Alexis8097 HB User

Wow..I am at my wits end. I am 44. I hadn't had my period since Mid June and thought for sure I am in peri-menopause. I believe I have been this way since I was 20. I seen my GP and told her, but since I am having many troubles with my hypothyroidism, she wasn't able to do any tests to check my hormone levels. She is waiting for my thyroid to come to some kind of normalcy. That is a whole other issue. Anyhow, I have fibroids and ovarian cysts and am sure that I am peri-meno. The hot flashes are extreme, aches and pains, sleeplessness, moody to the point that I may snap and hurt someone, emotional all the time, swollen feet, constipation, hemroids.....enough said! Well, I started my period August 4 and it is now August 10th and it is still here. Not heavy, just there, a bit every day. It has been a really hot summer, and the heat is swelling me up like a balloon. I am considering purchasing projesterone cream because I am sweating so much it is embarrassing. I have gained a ton of weight and before all this stuff started happening, I exercised regularly. Now I am too sore to move. I need help. I can't live like this anymore. What will projesterone cream do for me. I noticed that right before my periods, I feel great and am full of energy. This only lasts for one day, and then I crash. I need whatever hormone is being produced on that one day before my period starts. What is it and where can I buy it. Any ideas?

Old 08-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
(female)

Snowangels HB User

Hi Alexis,

What you might be feeling the day before AF is the corpus Luteum (sp?) deteriorating. From what I understand, that releases hormones (progesterone & estrogen) into your system, and maybe that's why you feel a sense of well being. For most, this triggers PMS, but I have been noticing the past year kind of feeling like that.

Interesting you mentioned the thyroid - I have had 3 thyroid scans since February. Initially they diagnosed me with a thyroid nodule, but then said it was just thyroid tissue. But man, after they did the scan I had some awful symptoms varying from feeling like my throat was closing, swelling of my neck on that side, and since then my temps swing from very low to high. I suspect my MIA cycle might have something to do with that. I also had strep & flu - 2 times each since Feb. (and I have not had either in 17 yrs, and never get sick).

As for the progesterone, I just bought some and was going to try to trigger AF that way. I use to use it years ago, but I think I got a buildup in my tissues. Back then they use to tell you to put it on your fatty tissues. NOT a good idea. If you're going to use it, put it on vascular areas such as inside forearms, lower back, wrists, etc. Honestly I get nervous about playing around with it.

Since you do have your period, I'd recommend you try false unicorn instead. I have used it for years to calm down the heavy bleeding, and it can normalize things in the follicular phase.

Now if I could just get my period! Incidentally I feel like you - I feel like I'm gaining when I'm not eating much at all. My emotions are out of control. I'm also sweating a ton - this summer IS a killer. I feel like I'm going to get my period in that I am PMSing big time. I keep taking ovulation tests, and it appears my ovaries are TRYING to ovulate, but I never get that temperature shift. I'm on day 88. I think I'm going to jump off a bridge if this goes on much longer.

I even took an hpt...just in case (silly me).

On the strange side, my boobs are getting bigger, and when I once experienced a long anovulatory period of my life when I was in my early 30s due to stress (unbenownst to me) my breasts actually got smaller. So maybe I see that as some kind of hope that my estrogen is still there. Maybe it's not really the end.

I'm getting to the point where I think I'm going to go to my old acupuncturist to jumpstart my cycle again.

Anyway, feel better.

Last edited by Snowangels; 08-10-2012 at 03:59 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Snowangels For This Useful Post:
Alexis8097 (09-20-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
(female)

gogo548 HB Usergogo548 HB User

Just checking in with the May gals.

I got my blood checked and it's now officially confirmed that I am perimenopausal. whoopee! I don't know what the numbers are since I received the message on a voicemail and the Gyn didn't tell me. Not sure if it matters.

I was feeling pretty good, except for the weight gain. However, today I just want to crawl under a rock and cry. I'm feeling so blue. Any advice? I went for a mile walk and 20 min on the Stairmaster (on a lower than usual setting). Got home, couldn't stand it and had two candy bars. Chocolate seemed like a good idea. ;O

Snowangels: How is it going with the chinese herbs and acupuncture? I'm very sorry about your fertility situation.

Feeling very unmotivated today.

gogo

Old 09-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
(female)

Snowangels HB User

Thank you Gogo,I appreciate that.

I did end up going to an acupuncturist. I had one acupuncture treatment, and thereafter I did herbs. The horrible sweating stopped and my emotions are back on keel (very occasionally I'll get triggered, but nothing like I was). The weird wooshing in my head that traveled up my spine is gone for the most part too. However I still don't have my period! I was planning on going back to try trigger it after I get some test results - I didn't want to skew anything with the herbs.

I had something going on with my thyroid back in Feb. It went away (initially they told me I had a nodule, and suddenly I didn't). Now I have some heavy duty inflammation again in the thyroid area, so I'm getting an MRI next week. I also had hormone panel done last week, but I'm still waiting on results.

I'm kind of astonished that I still don't have my period AND I'm not getting any sweating or emotional issues even after stopping the herbs.

Gogo I'd definitely recommend chinese medicine!

I can't scroll back to see your other posts, but how old are you? And have you looked into your thyroid levels? I would get a copy of your blood work. I always do, because there have been 2 times where the nurse got the results all wrong (and the dr. signed off on it) that could have resulted in me being treated for something I didn't have. It's also good to watch any rising numbers from your last bloodwork to keep records of trends (especially the thyroid).

Have you thought about trying progesterone cream to kickstart your period? I only did it for a few days, but plan on trying if everything else fails. I've used it in the past once to trigger AF.

I have also other things that didn't work - Parsley tea, papaya, homeopathic remedies, etc.

When I get all my test results back, since I have a slightly elevated TSH with blatant hypothyroid symptoms - I plan on trying an extremely low dose of natural desiccated thyroid. Even though a mainstream dr. will not treat me at that level. Maybe that'll do something, who knows.

I hope you feel better Gogo!!

Last edited by moderator2; 09-17-2012 at 06:40 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website

Old 09-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
(female)

Snowangels HB User

P.S. I forgot to mention I was also getting palps - but I think it's from the thyroid. Thyroid problems become pretty common once women hit perimenopause and menopause. Often doctors won't treat unless it's over lab range (they can actually get in trouble if they do). There are a handful of dr's though that treat based on symptoms and if also a TSH is for example higher than 1.5. New ranges with a 2.5 at the highest acceptable level which was made by some Endocrinology Association are not being adapted by most doctors either.

Just thought I'd point that out, since some of us may actually be having thyroid problems (because this is the age when it often rears it's ugly head), and end up with absence of menstruation believing it's menopause (never to get our periods again due to never being treated for the thyroid).

Old 09-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
(female)

greeneyez 1966 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo548 View Post
Just checking in with the May gals.

I got my blood checked and it's now officially confirmed that I am perimenopausal. whoopee! I don't know what the numbers are since I received the message on a voicemail and the Gyn didn't tell me. Not sure if it matters.

I was feeling pretty good, except for the weight gain. However, today I just want to crawl under a rock and cry. I'm feeling so blue. Any advice? I went for a mile walk and 20 min on the Stairmaster (on a lower than usual setting). Got home, couldn't stand it and had two candy bars. Chocolate seemed like a good idea. ;O

Snowangels: How is it going with the chinese herbs and acupuncture? I'm very sorry about your fertility situation.

Feeling very unmotivated today.

gogo
hello everyone ..ive read the posts and im so glad im not alone i didnt know what too expect it just hit me out of nowhere i just turned 46 in june and it hit me .. i didnt get a period in july and in august i got 2 8 days apart and the second round was horrible it was so heavy with clots and it lasted 3 weeks then stopped so i dont know when too expect it again im still gettting the other symptoms they havent left yet i just wanna feel normal again i dont sleep well im always tired i have anxiety issues and constipation problems like i said i was fine up untill may then it went down hill i did notice my periods were alittle diffrent but they were ontime i guess i was in denial about the whole menopause thing i just hope we all get thru it quick does anyone have like muscle aches feel lightheaded or just feel like your in the fog ??

Old 10-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #13
(female)

whitsmom HB User

Well, I've had light periods the last two months. Then, on Sunday, I started, a week early and it's been anything BUT light. Not flooding, but heavy enough that I don't like it. And, I generally don't have many clots, but this month is making up for it! Good grief; one extreme to the other

Old 10-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #14
(female)

Red Polka Dots HB UserRed Polka Dots HB User

I have totally the opposite problem. I feel much better when I don't have a period. I skipped 4 months and felt reasonably good, but three weeks ago I started feeling 'off' - lots of tears, depression, anxiety, tiredness, and then I had a full blown period... ie heavy-- I'm on the 7th day of my cycle and I have to tall ya, I feel crap. My body is in flamed, swollen finger, aches and pains, congested and sneezing, IBS rearing it's ugly head again and that horrible faint feeling I sometimes get. I just don't feel right in my skin. I hate having a period because I know it will at least 3weeks to recover. My husband is taking our daughter to college because I can no longer drive there since this period kicked it all off again. I can't tell ya how I hate this stage of life.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
(female)

iamlittle1 HB User

I have been in a 3 month on 3 month off cycle for about a year. I entered another missing AF October 1st and I am begging for my period to come back! I we always thought how great it would be when it was gone. I have all the symptoms and more. Sometimes cramps w/ a backache, headache, breasts swollen (although now 1 gets way bigger then the other--lol), pimple, cravings, crashing fatigue all the time, etc...Since no period anxiety, shakey and headache when I wake like my blood sugar is low. And my BP has spike and have been to the doc like three time--thought I was having a heart attack.
But when you tell them this all started the day after AF did not come---they just act like you are crazy! I am tired. I am 50.

Last edited by iamlittle1; 10-21-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: forgot my age

Closed Thread