It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
(female)

gogo548 HB Usergogo548 HB User
Heart flutters and palpitations

Hello! This is my first post here. I'll be 48 in September. But, I was diagnosed with high FSH back when I was 37. My last sign of AF was early May. Before that, I was on bcps. (I've just now heard that taking bcps can prolong menopause.) I stopped taking them when I started getting heart flutters.

I did an EKG, an echocardiogram and also a Holter monitor. All in all, my heart is good! yay!

The "flutters" have dissipated greatly, but yet they still pop up now and then. I am totally convinced it is due to menopause/hormones.

My question is, does anyone know WHY exactly? In other words, do they occur when estrogen is low/high? or progesterone is low/high?

Thanks for any input.

gogo

Old 07-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
Re: Heart flutters and palpitations

My body seems to respond to hormone fluctuations with heart palpitations. I've had them for so long I don't even worry about them anymore. They are annoying but they don't scare me and don't really disrupt anything about my life. I too had all of the tests and have been told they are benign.

Mine have settled into a pattern. I will get them right before I ovulate (high estrogen level) and right before my period (sudden drop in all hormones). I tend to think mine are more prevalent with high estrogen levels. Ovulation when my estrogen begins to rise they are far more constant and happen for more days.

As far as what to do? I'm not sure. I've used progesterone cream and sometimes it makes a huge difference and then other months, I get them like I'm not taking anything. I just hope one day when I got through menopause, they'll just go completely away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have you considerd going on HRT? It will help with the palpitations and other symptoms. And you might not ever have another period. What was your FSH level? Over about 35-36 they say it's menopausal. I've been on HRT for 8 years and am very happy with the results.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
(female)

Cindy89 HB User
Smile Re: Heart flutters and palpitations

I have these heart flutters and they are so annoying. I was getting so many of them when it started I had to do some ekg tests. Here is a little something that I started doing whenever I start to get those flutters: I take a deep breathe in and then breathe out, it tends to help. Try it and let us know if it helps;

Old 07-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You can also cough hard and that should stop it as well.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

When mine get going, nothing stops them. No deep breathing, no relaxation or meditation, no supplements like magnesium - nothing. Mine are not caused by stress so those things don't work. Mine will last for hours, non-stop. They have lessened again as my body has adjusted to the new levels of hormones, but I still get them at certain times of my cycle, they are tied to hormone fluctuations and breathing or other little tricks don't work. Only time. I'm sure one day, again, I will have a bumper crop of them that will come, stay for months, I'll have them everyday and then my body will, again, adjust to the new hormone level and go away or decrease where I won't notice them.

I hope the suggestions the other ladies here have given you work, but if they don't, don't be alarmed by them. As long as your heart checks out fine, you're are not alone with these things. Hopefully with time your body will adjust and they will stop.

Last edited by irisrose; 07-17-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
(female)

mickee HB User

I'm 53 and had a hysterectomy when I was 48. Since I'm now going thru menopause (probably due to the hysterectomy that I had to have done), I have heart palpitations (flutters). When I went for a stress test, the nurse informed me that some women have them while they are going thru menopause. She said she was going thru it and had them. She also said that it is a natural occurrence for some menopausal women, and "wished that the doctors would tell us this information". Oh, by the way, my heart and stress test went well.

Last edited by mickee; 07-17-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: mispelling

Old 07-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User

I had them, as well. They're annoying and at times, scary. After I missed 5-7 periods in a row (when my estrogen and progesterone were really bottoming out) they completed stopped for me.

Titchou is correct. If you cough, they'll stop.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
(female)

Thank you everyone. If it weren't for boards like this, I'd never function! After several weeks of the palpitations being absent, they have now returned. But, they aren't too bad right now. I decided I'd start tracking them to see if I can figure out a pattern. No AF since early May.

I am thankful to learn I am not alone and the palpitations are indeed a symptom of menopause. I still wish I knew WHY. Is there any explanation as to what exactly causes them? Early on they felt as if there was a flood of cortisol released in my body. I would feel like I should run around the block to release it, only I was too fearful to run then. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickee View Post
I'm 53 and had a hysterectomy when I was 48. Since I'm now going thru menopause (probably due to the hysterectomy that I had to have done), I have heart palpitations (flutters). When I went for a stress test, the nurse informed me that some women have them while they are going thru menopause. She said she was going thru it and had them. She also said that it is a natural occurrence for some menopausal women, and "wished that the doctors would tell us this information". Oh, by the way, my heart and stress test went well.
You're telling me!

gogo

Old 09-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
(female)

Just an update in case any else experiences the same thing and reads this some day. I did an echocardiogram and I wore a Halter Monitor for 24 hours. The early beats showed up (sometimes), but the doctors were not concerned. (Which, of course, makes you feel like your crazy!) ;O

The "flutters" have most definitely tapered down. When they started, I was still on bcp. I stopped bcp because I was worried about blood clots. I can't help but wonder if it was too much of a certain hormone? Which one? But, AF has packed her bags since May. I don't believe she is coming back.

Only now I'm having a very "blue" day. Chocolate is my friend/enemy. sigh

btw, my Gyno confirmed that "some women" experience heart palpitations during menopause!

gogo

Closed Thread