It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Union City, NJ
Posts: 25
martha123 HB User
Horrible Cramps

As soon as I got menopause I started with a ton of gastro problems. Gastritis etc. I have been getting terribly cramps in my lower abdomen (belly)
it feels like menstrual cramps. It moves from on end to the other, it goes to my back. I'm sure it's gas. Has any one ever had this?

I cannot take much more of this. I hate menopause.

 
The following user gives a hug of support to martha123:
jw90 (07-24-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
LSF LSF is offline
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 18
LSF HB UserLSF HB User
Re: Horrible Cramps

Yes, I suffered really bad abdominal pain like menstrual cramps for several years, I went to the doctor who was unhelpful and just recommended taking Prozaac which I wouldn't take. The cramps came on usually if I was hungry, 20 mins after exercise/exertion and often resulted in a trip to the loo which sometimes helped. The cramps escalated to an excrutiating pain and then eased off, the whole process took about 20 mins though sometimes it took an hour before I could resume my normal life. I stopped taking glucosamine as this seemed to make it worse and there was an improvement after a month of coming off this supplement but I still had the pains and they carried on until my periods stopped about four months ago - I still get them mildly sometimes. I wish I could give you a solution to the problem but I can't, I hope someone else can offer you support and advice, as apart from deep breathing, relaxing and keeping the abdominal muscles relaxed all the time, I didn't find anything helped. Good luck.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to LSF For This Useful Post:
martha123 (07-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 07-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Union City, NJ
Posts: 25
martha123 HB User
Re: Horrible Cramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF View Post
Yes, I suffered really bad abdominal pain like menstrual cramps for several years, I went to the doctor who was unhelpful and just recommended taking Prozaac which I wouldn't take. The cramps came on usually if I was hungry, 20 mins after exercise/exertion and often resulted in a trip to the loo which sometimes helped. The cramps escalated to an excrutiating pain and then eased off, the whole process took about 20 mins though sometimes it took an hour before I could resume my normal life. I stopped taking glucosamine as this seemed to make it worse and there was an improvement after a month of coming off this supplement but I still had the pains and they carried on until my periods stopped about four months ago - I still get them mildly sometimes. I wish I could give you a solution to the problem but I can't, I hope someone else can offer you support and advice, as apart from deep breathing, relaxing and keeping the abdominal muscles relaxed all the time, I didn't find anything helped. Good luck.
Thank you. The funny thing with this is that I no longer have a period. It's been three years since it left.

 
Old 07-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 14,859
Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Horrible Cramps

Have you tried adjusting your diet by cutting out foods that have gassy byproducts? Or using GasX or Beano?

 
Old 07-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Senior Member
(female)
 
boobootwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: london, ontario, canada
Posts: 211
boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User
Re: Horrible Cramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha123 View Post
As soon as I got menopause I started with a ton of gastro problems. Gastritis etc. I have been getting terribly cramps in my lower abdomen (belly)
it feels like menstrual cramps. It moves from on end to the other, it goes to my back. I'm sure it's gas. Has any one ever had this?

I cannot take much more of this. I hate menopause.
sorry to hear about your suffering and yes...i too had major problems at one time. i would end up in the hospital with stomach spasms. yes...gas....but from what the doc's say....a very large gas bubble that can't be passed. i'm wondering though about the fact that you say you feel it in the back? if the pain is intense in the back that can be a sign of gall bladder problems. you might want to visit your gp. oh...and i still have gas....but at least i can get rid of it now. heaven forbid if i had to live with someone...lol.
one more thing....how long have you not had a period? i was in menopause for 2 1/2 years and had another period. same symptoms too, swollen, sore boobs, cramping, moodiness, etc. i was set to have surgery, hysteroscopy, ablation, d and c, polectomy, due to the fact that they couldn't get a good biopsy because my cervix is scarred. came back inconclusive. i cancelled the surgery. my pap smears have been totally normal and i haven't bled since december of last year and it was only the once. just curious if you might have one coming on?

Last edited by boobootwo; 07-22-2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: addition

 
Old 07-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Union City, NJ
Posts: 25
martha123 HB User
Re: Horrible Cramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobootwo View Post
sorry to hear about your suffering and yes...i too had major problems at one time. i would end up in the hospital with stomach spasms. yes...gas....but from what the doc's say....a very large gas bubble that can't be passed. i'm wondering though about the fact that you say you feel it in the back? if the pain is intense in the back that can be a sign of gall bladder problems. you might want to visit your gp. oh...and i still have gas....but at least i can get rid of it now. heaven forbid if i had to live with someone...lol.
one more thing....how long have you not had a period? i was in menopause for 2 1/2 years and had another period. same symptoms too, swollen, sore boobs, cramping, moodiness, etc. i was set to have surgery, hysteroscopy, ablation, d and c, polectomy, due to the fact that they couldn't get a good biopsy because my cervix is scarred. came back inconclusive. i cancelled the surgery. my pap smears have been totally normal and i haven't bled since december of last year and it was only the once. just curious if you might have one coming on?
My doctor thought it might be the gall bladder and he sent me for an ultrasound at the hospital. It came back normal. The pain, and yes, they feel like spasm, moves. sometimes I don't have it but most of the time I do. I do pass gas a lot. My G.I. did an endoscopy and besides Gerd I have chronic gastritis. How long does the menopuse last? I can't take this. Anxiety attacks, gastro problems, hemorrhoids. Being a woman is very difficult when you get to this age. Thank you all for your replies.

 
Old 07-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 77
Cindy89 HB User
Re: Horrible Cramps

i have these cramps which is horrible to experience. Mind seem to focus mainly on the right side of the body. sometimes it goes to my chest like acid reflux, other times goes to my legs and yes it also affects my back. And the gas and bloating is horrible as well.

 
Old 07-23-2012, 04:40 AM   #8
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Union City, NJ
Posts: 25
martha123 HB User
Re: Horrible Cramps

I had another bad night. Cramps, like spasm, going from my lower belly towards my back. I have to call my doctor today. I really don't know what else to do.

 
Old 07-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 14,859
Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Horrible Cramps

You might also ask for a HIDA scan that tests for gallbladder function. Below 35% and above 75% is considered non functioning.

 
Closed Thread




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Titchou (71), STLouisgal (30), WhistleDixie (23), missy222 (20), irisrose (19), jojopooh (19), solofelix (17), jw90 (10), georgina77 (9), CrazyLife414 (8)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1164), MSJayhawk (997), Apollo123 (898), Titchou (833), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (745), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:34 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!