It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
(female)

yippeejf HB User
Thank You and a few Questions

First, thank you for all the posts on this board and to the good folks that made this board possible. Since I found this board I now know that I'm not crazy or about to GO crazy and a whole bunch of other things are just normal for what I am going through.

I am 49, no children, regular periods with a few extra thrown in for good measure. Cysts and fiborous stuff seems to run on both sides of my family. I'm the oldest on both sides to still have all the plumbing. I have been experiencing about 90% of the "list of 66 symptoms" for several years now.

Last year my gyno (had same one for 20+ years) told me that I wasn't in peri or maybe just getting started, we'll talk about it at your annual next year..... Had I known about all the other symptoms involved, I would have looked for help sooner. I really thought I might be going crazy. That being said, I have an appointment with a new gyno (female!) to decide what to do about a fiborous mass behind uterine wall.

I'm looking for advice on what I should expect from a "good" gyno. What are things yours did to help you determine how best to handle this crazy thing that seems to be running our life? I would like to go in with a mental list of things she should hopefully be checking/questioning. I would also like to know what helped you (if you have the time/patience to share) therapy wise.

I really just want my quality of life back! I work in a very male dominated industry and can't hold my own when I will cry just having a normal conversation or have to stop and go stand in front of the fan because my body just burst into hotflash flames.

Thank you for your time and I apologize for the book.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Thank You and a few Questions

Since you still have all your plumbing, are you on birth control? If so, it may just be a matter of adjusting your med - that's what I did. If not, you might could go on them. You could do anti-depressants but i've just never felt like taking tranquilizers for a hormonal issue made any sense if one could tolerate bcp or HRT. Having a mother who was addicted to valium and other things over the years does not endear me to them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
yippeejf (08-03-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
(female)

yippeejf HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Since you still have all your plumbing, are you on birth control? If so, it may just be a matter of adjusting your med - that's what I did. If not, you might could go on them. You could do anti-depressants but i've just never felt like taking tranquilizers for a hormonal issue made any sense if one could tolerate bcp or HRT. Having a mother who was addicted to valium and other things over the years does not endear me to them.
I haven't been on any form of birth control since 1988. We tried to get pregnant for years, just never worked, even with fertility drugs. It was me as he now has 2 children with his 2nd wife.

I've been on and off anti depressants the last few years. There is always a trade off when taking them. I got on Cymbalta a few months ago and my emotions were much better. During this time I started wondering if I was peri because of the other symptoms. Had to ween off Cymbalta again as my health insurance wouldn't pay for them because there wasn't a generic form and they wanted me to have already tried 2 other forms of anti-depressants.

Hoping to try a therapy that will help with most of the symptoms, including the emotional roller coaster.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
(female)

dextermom HB User

Yippeejf - you took the words right out of my mouth. I've nearly been at my wits end thinking I was just slowly losing my mind. After reading several threads on this site, I realized I am not alone! In February at my yearly gyno visit I discussed the possibility of menopause with him and he told me he didn't think so - and would not run any tests of any kind. My symptoms continued and worsened. I'm thinking of going to a new gyno for the next visit. I feel much more at ease after reading all these posts. I am sorry to know you gals are going through the same thing because it is miserable. But on the other hand I feel better knowing someone understands. Thanks so much!

Old 08-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
(female)

Mcm1960 HB User

I would definitely try a different dr. I have been on HRT for three weeks and feel better already!! I went to my dr. With a written list of every symptom! She sat and listened to the entire list and even handed me tissues because I cried reading them to her!! I am not totally back to my old self but soooooo much better already. Hope that helps!!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

Hi..I would look for a new Dr.. I went to the same OB for 20 years, he delivered both of my children and I really felt like we had a good relationship...Until I started asking about perimenopause. I asked and asked for him to just at least check my hormones. First question: Are you still having a period? My response, yes, but VERY inconsistent. His response.. well if you have a period you are not even close to menopause!! Well the last time he said that I politely got copies of my files and moved on! Found a wonderful Dr, she listens and immediately did blood work.... And guess what???? My FSH showed that I am in menopause!!! She said that many women still have periods for many months after they start menopause, in fact, she herself had blood work that showed menopause and she had a period for another 18 months!
I have to go in for another set of blood tests and then we can look at ways to treat this craziness.
For me, just knowing that I was having those hormone fluctuations and that they ARE real, has helped.

Sorry for being so long winded, but this has become my soap box! I am so tired of people not taking us seriously! I wish they could have a day in the life of Perimenopause!!!
Take Care and Here's to Good Health for us all!!
b.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
(female)

yippeejf HB User

Update! Had LAVH in September. I feel like a new woman! We have fiddled around with "happy pills" and I think we've got the right ones for me. I am currently a smoker so hormone therapy was not an option at this time. I still have hot flashes, some days more than others but I'm dealing with them.

My new Gyno is a Jewel! It's so nice to have someone actually listen and take you seriously.

Thank you again to everyone that responded to my post.

The following user gives a hug of support to yippeejf:
Mcm1960 (11-27-2012)
Closed Thread