It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
(male)

Allie40 HB User
Life better at 40 yrs+??

I heard some women say: "Life gets better after you turn 40?"
Not so far for me.
Pretty sure now that I am going through peri-menopause. I turned 40 in January, but my periods have been acting wonky for the past almost 2 years. Never had children, and had my tubes tied at 35 years old. Been waiting on my period to start for 2.5 wks now. Had PMS badly
Symptoms:
weigh loss-not complaining but odd for me, lol
hot flashes- started the past 6 months (ugg!)
fatigue-really bad during pms
night sweats
insomnia
frequent urination (during pms)
horrible PMS (back aches, nausea (the past 6 months) and cramps)
cranky
sensitive to noise and smells...easily irritated
Raynaud's syndrome acts up more than before
my hips, and right shoulder/neck,& knee ache a lot more than they ever did

I went to the doctor to get blood tests to rule out anything more serious, like chronic fatigue or something like that. Waiting on the tests now.
But seriously we may be more mature & wise at 40 , too bad the 70 year old lady who invades our bodies won't let us enjoy it. Just needed to vent as this has not been a fun experience as of so far.
Allie

Last edited by Allie40; 08-06-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Life better at 40 yrs+??

When mine got crazy in my late 40's/early 50's, we changed my bcp. Then when I was not having periods even on the pill at 57, we changed to HRT. Now I'm 66 and it really is the best time of my life. I feel great, the sex is great (partner is 58), I can do a 5K and push ups with my feet in a chair and my hands on the floor and bench press 85 pounds (am 5'2" and weigh 110). Life is good.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Allie40 (08-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
(male)

Allie40 HB User

That's good to hear Glad things passed for you. So basically it gets worse before it gets better, eh? lol My hubby is great very understanding and supportive. Thank god, all I'd need is for him to be difficult lol
I started to think I had something was really wrong with me. Since my period is late (never this late), I thought I should do some research on peri-menopause/menopause. Discovered the symptoms are quite similar to other things like chronic fatigue. So here's hoping it's nothing else. Thanks for your reply.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, no, not really. It never got "worse" for me because I headed it off at the pass, so to speak. And since I don't intend to get off HRT, hopefully I won't experience any more symptoms. I do understand that if I quit taking HRT, the symptoms will most likely come back for up to 3 years or so...another reason not to get off!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
(female)

SusieBuddy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Well, no, not really. It never got "worse" for me because I headed it off at the pass, so to speak. And since I don't intend to get off HRT, hopefully I won't experience any more symptoms. I do understand that if I quit taking HRT, the symptoms will most likely come back for up to 3 years or so...another reason not to get off!
Hi Titchou! I had to chime in here.... I am 48 and feeling horrid most of the time.. I've been reading through your posts and am so happy I don't have to stay this way! Other than the "usual" symptoms I have (hot flashes etc...) my libido has been NON EXISTANT! Don't get me wrong, I am sexually active with my husband, he is such a good man and I could never deny him his fun...lol... I just don't ever feel "in the mood" or have the big O... hardly ever.... Does hormone replacement really give you back your sex drive? I had a very strong drive when I was younger... Boy, I sure miss it now... lol..

The Following User Says Thank You to SusieBuddy For This Useful Post:
Allie40 (08-08-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

It has for me. Don't know about other folks. But I tolerated birth control really well also so I wasn't surprised that HRT worked for me.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

miss345 HB User

I think for many women the "age" factor enters this new time of their life...You know forty is old..Heck, I used to think that when I was younger too......As for me I was too busy with kids and into their sports to realize where I was...I had my Hysterectomy at 48 and didn't know that much about Menopause...I guess I went through it right after as they took my ovaries out too...However, with not knowing all the facts of life that are so well known to women now, that it really never bothered me...I have found that life began in my early 50's...With our children grown, my husband and I really found each other...This fact of life has increased and multiplied since then...We are now wiser and more in love then we have ever been...In so many ways (not including sore limbs) these are the best years of our life...Don't fear aging, embrace it...If you fear it you will let your outer shell die off...My problem or blessing being "he makes me feel so young"....Best to all...Take care...ILD...

Last edited by miss345; 08-07-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Took sentence out....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miss345 For This Useful Post:
Allie40 (08-08-2012), thegoodfight (09-01-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
(female)

jw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB User

Titchou
you must have a doctor who will not make you feel bad about the HRT..I just got back from my OBGYN and it was the same old thing why am i using HRT and when i explain they just don't get it...could I ask you if you ever have any bleeding while on the HRT as I do from time to time..but I do plan to stay on it..and I'm like you 5'2" and weigh 123 lbs and can do pull up and I have a bowflex and work out on that 3 times a week and ride my bike.we also go mountain hiking a lot. thanks for being here its so good to have someone who plans on taking hormones.

The Following User Says Thank You to jw90 For This Useful Post:
Allie40 (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
(male)

Allie40 HB User

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Makes a gal feel like she is not alone or going nuts. lol
If things get worse for me I will get my doctor to see what she can do to help ease the symptoms. The hot flashes mixed with nausea is not a fun experience at all.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

I "almost" had bleeding one time. I say almost because I sort of cramped for a day or two and then when I wiped after urinating once I had some pink on the tissue. I used a tampon but when I took it out some hours later, it just had a tinge of pink on it. And that was it. Call to doctor informed me it was normal and as long as I had my ovaries, it might happen. But that's been it. Do you go to a female gyno?? I switched because my male one - who, BTW was president of the local gyno chapter! - gave me belladonna for my peri symptoms. Sorry - not taking tranquilzers for a hormone problem. I wouldn't dare go to a male gyno again.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #11
(female)

jw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB User
Ticthou.
I did see a female obgyn and she was in her thirties so you can guess what her attitude was..she came right out and said why are you still on HRT.. and I said because I would like to have a decent life and the quality of life is everything. and I even said you will be going through menopause someday and you will have to work.. so you should be more understanding of women who choose to use this...we go through menopause just when we need to be strong in our lives and most women have at least 15 more years of being in the work place.. like you I am 67 and have a great marriage and want to continue having a sex life.. and be vibrant...I also asked her how come no one does a study on how many women get breast cancer who have never been on HRT..I plan on continuing to take it..and just will have to put up with doctors who have no clue...

I will have to get my PCP to write the script as she will not do it..

Last edited by Mod-S4; 08-15-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Posts merged.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Wow! Really? My PCP knows I'm still on it and agrees. We just talked about it this past May during my physical. He said as long as I am sexually active, I should stay on it - pending no problems, of course. So, both of my docs are on board with it. My gyno is in her early 50's. I did go to one female a times who was into all the "whole mother earth" thing and tried messing with my bcp just when I had gotten all my symptoms under control and so I dumped her. My husband at the time taught at UAB Medical School so I had some real reinforcement. It helped when I finally changed to doctors who were at their clinic and therefore knew my husband was on faculty.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
(female)

cook82 HB Usercook82 HB User

Hello Titchou

You say that your current doctor says you should stay on HRT as long as you are sexually active. I'm curious, what would he feel differently if you were NOT sexually active? I ask this because I have an appointment next week with my GYN and I intend to ask for HRT. I am not sexually active but I'm really miserable with my symptoms, particularly vaginal dryness. I don't want to have to argue with the doc about this. I'm wondering if I should say that I am sexually active.
Incidentally, my mother is on activella and she is 86 years old. Refuses to go off it!

Old 08-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
(male)

Allie40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I "almost" had bleeding one time. I say almost because I sort of cramped for a day or two and then when I wiped after urinating once I had some pink on the tissue. I used a tampon but when I took it out some hours later, it just had a tinge of pink on it. And that was it. Call to doctor informed me it was normal and as long as I had my ovaries, it might happen. But that's been it. Do you go to a female gyno?? I switched because my male one - who, BTW was president of the local gyno chapter! - gave me belladonna for my peri symptoms. Sorry - not taking tranquilzers for a hormone problem. I wouldn't dare go to a male gyno again.
Tranquilizers, really? So he wanted you to sleep through the symptoms apparently. Though some days tranquilizers could be helpful. lol

Thank god my gyno (male) & regular doctor (female) are great. They actually listen to you.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

Cook 82: I'm on Activella too! That was just what he asked me when I asked him if he was OK with me still being on it. When I said yes, he didn't ask anything else so I don't know what he would have said if I had said no. But that's not the only reason I'm on it. My husband at the time we first "adjusted" my bcp told me he was locking up the kitchen knives till I did something about my hormones. And taking my gun away and I am a target shooter. So, I went and got them adjusted and haven't looked back. And I had a list of about all the peri symptoms at that time. A change in birth control and TWO WEEKS later every symptom was gone and has stayed gone. Nope, not going back.

Closed Thread