It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 02:56 AM   #1
(female)

Mystery0904 HB User
Shakiness, could it be a part of menopause?

I am 49, have been in menopause for probably 5 or so years now and every now and then get this really horrid internal shaky feeling which I know is not my sugar level cos I've had that checked and it was fine. Just curious if this could be another symptom of menopause. Cannot seem to find anything about this on any menopause site I have come across. Anyone else get this?

The following user gives a hug of support to Mystery0904:
iamlittle1 (10-09-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
(female)

percan HB User
Re: Shakiness, could it be a part of menopause?

I have many friends who have suffered with the "internal shakes" during menopause. It is definitely a symptom. They said it was worse than the hot flashes or any of the other symptoms. I'm sure if you search this board with the right words you will find old posts here about it as well. Sometimes it's described as internal vibrations.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
(female)

Leegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB User

Yes, it is normal, although not one of the common symptoms of menopause. I, too, have had "shakiness" and it is alarming, but for some reason I only have it when I am sitting down. I have it mostly when I am under stress. In addition, another unusual symptom of menopause is being extremely sensitive to noise. I think really anything can be a sign of menopausual symptoms.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
(female)

Shelley5716 HB UserShelley5716 HB UserShelley5716 HB User

Yes, I have had that too, and I believe its anxiety ... there is another website that is just women with perio/menopause ... menopause chit chat ... I love it there and it has a lot of useful information too. Hope u feel better today ... praying for us all!!!

Shelley

Old 09-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
(female)

abbylassie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery0904 View Post
I am 49, have been in menopause for probably 5 or so years now and every now and then get this really horrid internal shaky feeling which I know is not my sugar level cos I've had that checked and it was fine. Just curious if this could be another symptom of menopause. Cannot seem to find anything about this on any menopause site I have come across. Anyone else get this?
I am 54 and I too get the internal shakes. They seem to happen every 2 weeks or so for about 10 days, then I'm fine for 2 weeks.. etc. They seem to come and go on a cycle that coincides with the full moon. The only reason I quote that is due to the fact that, when I was having my periods, I would get them usually on the full moon cycle. That's how I kept track of them! I had a hysterectomy in the early 1990's, but they left my ovaries in. When I am shaky, it is so hard to concentrate on doing anything but feeling the shakes! They usually stop around noon, or early afternoon for me! Good luck with dealing with it!

Old 10-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ma734 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley5716 View Post
Yes, I have had that too, and I believe its anxiety ... there is another website that is just women with perio/menopause ... menopause chit chat ... I love it there and it has a lot of useful information too. Hope u feel better today ... praying for us all!!!

Shelley
Yes, yes, yes. I get it and it is so disconcerting. It feels like low blood sugar. I was told I am perimenopausal but I just had a set of extensive labs done that show my hormones are in the toilet. No progesterone, little Estrogen (even though I am on BC pills, no pregnenalone). No wonder I am whacked out.

I get migraines, I am always dizzy, I get the internal shakes and wobbly legs, I don't sleep well, my anxiety level is through the roof. I get hot flashes, night sweats, leg cramps. You name it.

Working on a fix now. I happened to find a caring doctor who is working with me to get the right tests and the right answers.

Karen from Arizona

Old 10-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
(female)

crazymomof464 HB User

OK this makes sense. I have other peri men. symptoms so this must be one as well.
I've had low blood sugar "shakiness" now and then all my life. This feels almost the same but a bit more severe. It comes sometimes tho when I've just eaten and it's not relieved by juice or a pc of candy like low blood sugar shakes are.
Glad I read this!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
(female)

wildtexspirit HB User
Question Re: Shakiness, could it be a part of menopause?

I have a question. Is it more like a vibration ? I get those since I was about 37 when I was told I was in pri-menopause. I still get them but not as much. Do they feel like your vibrating inside in places like shoulders and legs? My sister once told me it was probably just another type symptom.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
(female)

crazymomof464 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtexspirit View Post
I have a question. Is it more like a vibration ? I get those since I was about 37 when I was told I was in pri-menopause. I still get them but not as much. Do they feel like your vibrating inside in places like shoulders and legs? My sister once told me it was probably just another type symptom.
Mine is not a vibration as much as a weak, shakey feeling. It's the same as when you haven't eaten and ur blood sugar drops. But.... my friend is going thru meno too and she DOES have what she describes as a "vibration" and I've read other people on forums describe one of their symptoms as a "vibration". I wish med drs would read these forums. Maybe they'd understand. When I tell others about these weird symptoms they ask why I haven't gone to a dr to have it checked out. Why? so he can run a bunch of tests that all come back neg and then tell me it's all in my head and prescribe antianxiety meds? No thanks! If these women posting on these forums have the same bizarre symptoms that I'm having, then that's enough to convince me it's "normal". Don't need some dr who thinks he knows it all telling me I'm nuts! I have four children for that! LOL

The following user gives a hug of support to crazymomof464:
wildtexspirit (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
(female)

wildtexspirit HB User

I just had to smile at the last part of that. ^.^ It is so true. We don't need doctors we have kids to talk down to us and tell us were insane. :P But yes the vibration thing can get weird and make you think if you touch something will it just turn into powder. ^.^ Heck with the heat flashes alone I feel like I might just burst into flames. hehehe.
I have gotten those types of shakes as well that ya'll are talking about as well. My mother always would say. "I have the shakes so go play and leave momma alone for a bit okay hunny" I am starting to notice a lot of stuff my mother use to say ,and now happening to me. I wish I could just go back in time if for nothing else but just to hug my mom again and tell her I am sorry and just sit there with her threw it. I really thought mine was from not eating. But went to Doctor and they told me my blood was fine. EMT the other day that took me to ER tested my blood and told me it was low. (70) But when I got there they said it was fine on the blood work. So yeah I just said the heck with it and just said I'll listen to my body talking to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to wildtexspirit For This Useful Post:
crazymomof464 (10-05-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

ma734 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymomof464 View Post
OK this makes sense. I have other peri men. symptoms so this must be one as well.
I've had low blood sugar "shakiness" now and then all my life. This feels almost the same but a bit more severe. It comes sometimes tho when I've just eaten and it's not relieved by juice or a pc of candy like low blood sugar shakes are.
Glad I read this!
Exactly :-) Problem is, we are 'perimenopausal'. Who knows when this will end? It must be nice to be a guy !

Old 10-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
(female)

iamlittle1 HB User

I have them constantly, especially when I am going on a non period cycle. Which right now is 3 months period, 3 months no period. I even wake up in the morning shaking.
It awful. Hope you are okay.

The following user gives a hug of support to iamlittle1:
ma734 (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

ma734 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlittle1 View Post
I have them constantly, especially when I am going on a non period cycle. Which right now is 3 months period, 3 months no period. I even wake up in the morning shaking.
It awful. Hope you are okay.
I don't know what's worse - the migraines or the shakiness. I wake up every morning with the shakes. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and as soon as I lay back down, everything starts to happen - sweats, shakiness....

I am going through some testing and then will be trying some supplements and diet to get my hormones back to tolerable levels. Apparently my labs show I am post-menopausal when I am not.

A few more weeks and I will have a path to follow. I will keep posting my results.

Karen

Old 10-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
(female)

kittylady HB User

I have seen a lot of references to internal shaking on this site, maybe you could do a search for them...use the "search this board" section at the top right.

I was wondering what they are like, haven't had them as far as I know. It sounds like they may occur at night, like night sweats? I have had a few sleep disturbances, woke up flailing around last week. My husband said he felt me shaking a few months ago (or the cat!) so I don't know whether I was having them.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

ma734 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittylady View Post
I have seen a lot of references to internal shaking on this site, maybe you could do a search for them...use the "search this board" section at the top right.

I was wondering what they are like, haven't had them as far as I know. It sounds like they may occur at night, like night sweats? I have had a few sleep disturbances, woke up flailing around last week. My husband said he felt me shaking a few months ago (or the cat!) so I don't know whether I was having them.
For me I do not physically shake - you can't see it, but I sure can feel it. It's almost like a feeling of low blood sugar or anxiety/nervousness. I also getting times where I feel like my muscles are twittering, especially in my left collar bone and left hip. Again, you can't see it, but I can feel it.

Then if you have ever been to a neurologist, sometimes they will take something that looks like a tuning fork, make it vibrate and hold it against a part of your body to see if you can feel it. That feeling I experience when they do that is another way to describe some of the funny feelings I get.

Karen

The Following User Says Thank You to ma734 For This Useful Post:
kittylady (10-09-2012)
Closed Thread