It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
(female)

Peyjad HB User
Question Perimenopause or Thyroid?

Hello everyone! I am getting more confused the more I read into both Perimenopause and Thyroid disorders.

I am 43 years old and have been having symptoms of what could be both I think, for about 3 years.

It started with shorter cycles every few months, probably 3 years ago. I was 28 day exactly before. Now its a regular occurrence happening monthly and I get my period every 24-26 days. Every once in a while it will be 30 day cycle. Sometimes, it will start with brown spotting for a day or two than massive for a day than hardly anything for 1 or 2 more days. Sometimes it is a typical cycle for me lasting 5 days. It seems like if my period only lasts 2-3 days, the next month is pretty heavy the first day.

I also notice I can cry, totally freak out on my poor Husband and son or be happy as a lark all in the same hour. I get massive fatigue, instantly, like I could just fall asleep right there with no warning and it will pass in 15 minutes or so.

I have noticed my hair is thinning out on the sides and don't get me started on my wrinkles! I swear I have aged 5 years for every year since age 40!

My weight, or where I carry it, is changing too. I can loose 2 pounds but gain it back in my thighs only. I am not overweight at all, probably low end of normal for my height, but my jeans are getting tighter around my thighs more and more every year.

I get what feels like beginnings of cramping in my calf but the cramps never really come. I also notice my feet feel hot sometimes like burning hot.

I have ZERO interest or urge for sex and feel so bad about that sometimes.

I also get heart palps and 3 years ago were so bad I had a holter monitor, EKG and nuclear stress test. all turned up nothing.

There are times too where I get really shaky for a few minutes. I used to think it was because I was hungry, but I notice it too sometimes when I am not.

I have severe anxiety at times worrying about silly things that are completely out of my control, along with believing I have every disease under the sun. this isn't constant but when I start on it, it can hang around for a while. I do have stress in my life that I cannot change unfortunately so I'm sure this contributes somewhat.

I know I am missing a lot but right now this is all I can think of. I did have labs done a few times and once for my hormones, here is my most recent from March 26 2012

Free T4 1.0 (0.6-1.6 ref range)
TSH 1.40 (0.30-5.00)
Free T43 2.6 (2.5-3.9)

LH 1.1
FSH 3.9

I take some vitamins and mineral too:

Daily vit, Magnesium, Vit D, Vit B12, Calcium adn Vit C

I do have my annual exam next week at my Gyno and was going to discuss my concerns with her than but in the mean time, I was hoping to get some thoughts from you (and any advice on questions?)

Thank you so much for reading this and giving me advice with this!

Last edited by Peyjad; 10-10-2012 at 08:12 AM. Reason: adding info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
(female)

Rabb HB User
Re: Perimenopause or Thyroid?

Hi!
I totalllllly relate to everything you are going through. I have no thyroid, so when it all started for me, I was sure it was thyroid, which it could be a bit... But I'm 45 and I think what it is is perimenopause. I went through it al, everything you are saying, a year ago. I figured it out myself that I needed more hormones. I went on the vivelle dot, lowest dose along with 100 mg progesterone in oil. I felt better after a few weeks. Needed less and less to help me sleep.
Then, I went thru some heavy stress and started getting my period as of late, every two weeks! I can't sleep well and I cry at silly things. I feel like a bad mom bc I don't have the energy to do everything. I don't make plans bc I never know how I'm going to feel the next day. Ughhhhhh. Im cracking up only bc I told my husband I think I have some crazy kind of cancers and I see you wrote you kep thinking that you have diseases too. He told me I should do one of those body scans.
I emailed a friend of mine who has gone thru this and she said, lots of massages. Which I've been doing. Plus baths and yoga. Just restorative type stuff like child's pose, if you know.
Go to your dr. Go to your Gyno. Get their perspective and oh, I went to my chiropractor and he gave me this stuff called Minchex by standard process. It calms the brain down but you don't feel weird. It's all natural.
I hope you are ok. Let me know....

Old 10-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
(female)

Rabb HB User

Hi!
I totalllllly relate to everything you are going through. I have no thyroid, so when it all started for me, I was sure it was thyroid, which it could be a bit... But I'm 45 and I think what it is is perimenopause. I went through it all, everything you are saying, a year ago. I figured it out myself that I needed more hormones. I went on the vivelle dot, lowest dose along with 100 mg progesterone in oil. I felt better after a few weeks. Needed less and less to help me sleep.
Then, I went thru some heavy stress and started getting my period as of late, every two weeks! I can't sleep well and I cry at silly things. I feel like a bad mom bc I don't have the energy to do everything. I don't make plans bc I never know how I'm going to feel the next day. Ughhhhhh. I'm cracking up only bc I told my husband I think I have some crazy kind of cancers and I see you wrote you kep thinking that you have diseases too. He told me I should do one of those body scans.
I emailed a friend of mine who has gone thru this and she said, lots of massages. Which I've been doing. Plus baths and yoga. Just restorative type stuff like child's pose, if you know.
Go to your dr. Go to your Gyno. Get their perspective and oh, I went to my chiropractor and he gave me this stuff called Minchex by standard process. It calms the brain down but you don't feel weird. It's all natural.
I hope you are ok. Let me know....

Last edited by Rabb; 10-11-2012 at 03:45 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Rabb:
Peyjad (10-11-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Rabb For This Useful Post:
Peyjad (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
(female)

Peyjad HB User

Thanks Rabb for responding! I'm glad I relatable Yes, sounds very similar to me. I was actually at the pet store last weekend and cried when a couple brought their dog over to see my son. Their dog was missing a leg...I am so sensitive it's ridiculous. I did just get 3 books that I noticed got recommended alot on this board and am anxious to start reading. I started yoga in the Summer and absolutely loved it but got busy and have slacked on it. Time to get serious again because I did love how I felt afterwards. I will research the vivelle dot and would love to get a professional massage but can't afford that so will just beg my hubby. I know they release toxins, so they are great! A doctor of mine last year suggested L-theanine, a more natural pill for anxiety, so I guess I will start taking that again. from what I am learning though I think diet is a huge key to this so I might clean mine up a bit. I hate taking pills and I guess if I can alleviate some sxs with a better lifestyle, I'm all for it. thanks again for replying and if you have any more advice please share

Old 10-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
(female)

Rabb HB User

I'm giving you advice that I need for myself too! It's so hard. I haven't slept well in a few nights and it really makes me anxious.

There are all these foot massage places that are fantastic that are really cheap. They do the whole body really, but you are dressed and they spend a lot of time on your feet. I'm in LA and they have sooo many of them. They re like $20-30 for an hour.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
(female)

Peyjad HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
I'm giving you advice that I need for myself too! It's so hard. I haven't slept well in a few nights and it really makes me anxious.

There are all these foot massage places that are fantastic that are really cheap. They do the whole body really, but you are dressed and they spend a lot of time on your feet. I'm in LA and they have sooo many of them. They re like $20-30 for an hour.
I'd love that, I'm lucky though because my husband likes to massage feet! I don't have any trouble sleeping thankfully, I am sorry you do. When I was pregnant with my kids though, I was put on a medicine to stop labor (with both of them) and I had to take it each time for 7-8 weeks until I delivered and I couldnt sleep at all. It was horrible, and I hope that doesn't ever happen again.

I really hope you can get some sleep, maybe a hot bath and a good book will help!

The Following User Says Thank You to Peyjad For This Useful Post:
Rabb (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
(female)

Rabb HB User

Just got out of the bath! Gonna watch some silly tv..... You are so lucky you can sleep! I was sleeping fine a few weeks ago... Hopefully, it will all balance out... It always does. So good to know I'm not alone. Read my husband some of your original post and he asked if that was my post!

Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
(female)

Rabb HB User

Let me know what happens with your drs etc......

Last edited by Rabb; 10-11-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:36 AM   #9
(female)

Peyjad HB User

Thanks Rabb

makes me feel better too knowing I am not the only one with the same symptoms!

Last edited by Peyjad; 10-12-2012 at 03:37 AM.

Closed Thread