HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Menopause (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/menopause/)
-   -   I can't believe this (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/menopause/922728-i-cant-believe.html)

irisrose 10-12-2012 09:43 AM

I can't believe this

I have been struggling with perimeno symptoms for years. Over the past year it has gotten the worst - anxiety that bubbles up out of nowhere, night sweats, insomnia, horrible periods, hair loss/thinning, did I mention anxiety that hits for no reason?

Back in June I decided to start jogging. I used to jog for years and years so decided to get back to some regular exercise to help combat the belly fat that I seemed to add from prescription progesterone cream I was using.

The jogging didn't work. I think years of running took it's toll on my joints and starting back up was brutal. Every time I stood up from sitting or sleeping every joint just screamed. So I had to find something else.

I began biking. The thing about biking is I can bike for an hour and a half or more and it's not torturous or tedious and boring. The time goes by, it's enjoyable and I'm able to get a good long workout in without dreading it.

After 2-2 1/2 months of riding like this I have noticed quite a difference in my perimeno symptoms. First thing I noticed is I wasn't losing as much hair daily. Every time I showered I would have so much hair on my hands when rinsing.

Then other things began to change. Even though I have a hard time fitting 8hrs of sleep into each night, the sleep I am getting is so much more restful! No more waking every 1 1/2 - 2hr, fall asleep, wake again, fall asleep etc. No night sweats. Periods are back to being a non-issue. I don't cramp hardly at all and it's totally done within 5 days. The best part - that anxiety is gone!! I don't get shots of anxiety or adrenaline anymore. No heart palpitations. Even the gnarly black hairs that pop up on my haven't popped up in over a month.

I don't know if it will work for others. It takes time and right now I have it. I can go ride for an hour or more during the day. If I had to go to work, it would probably be a different story. I know the liver is instrumental in breaking down excess estrogen. Maybe my exercising helps my body to function better and therefore breakdown and clear the estrogen.

I haven't used my progesterone cream since June. I will go back to my hormone dr next month and I'll be curious to see what my levels are without taking anything.

dreamcatcher11 10-12-2012 03:43 PM

Re: I can't believe this

Thanks for the inspiration! I have also heard that exercise is very important during peri-menopause. Apparently there is no conclusive evidence that exercise relieves menopausal symptoms, lots of women do claim that exercise does alleviate some of them such as hot flashes and sleep disturbances.

I have been noticing that my best days are often Wednesday to Friday and I am thinking that this is because I am very active at my job. This weekend I am going to try to add some more exercise in my weekend and see if I still feel good by Monday and Tuesday.

irisrose 10-12-2012 05:10 PM

It took almost 2 months before most of my symptoms lessened dramatically. I was always walking but I don't think that was intense enough for me. I could stroll or plod along and it got boring. Biking is much more strenuous and it last usually more than an hour and it have really made a difference. I was really quite surprised with the results.

CherylLynn24 10-12-2012 07:22 PM

Good for you, Irisrose! :bouncing:

Peri wasn't particularly miserable for me, however when I first began missing periods, I had quite a few awful symptoms. I was so desperate, I considered taking HRT or Bio-Identical hormone therapy. (You may remember my posts) One was too costly for me (I visited several Bio doctors that wouldn't give me the necessary compounded hormones unless I paid for hundreds of dollars of supplements) As for the HRT, that was out of the question due to having cancer throughout my family.

By the time I missed about 5 periods or so, most of my symptoms had vanished. The few that have remained are merely a nuisance. I used to exercise frequently prior to all of this and after reading your post, I'm going to dust off my exercise bike and treadmill and start an exercise program again.

Thank you for such an inspiring post!

irisrose 10-12-2012 07:51 PM

I truly wasn't expecting any of this. I simply wanted to get healthier and try and lose my belly fat I got with the progesterone cream. I packed on 15lbs from Feb to June and the only thing different was the addition of progesterone. So that's what I'm blaming but maybe it's not.

I haven't lost all of the weight, I've really only been able to knock off 5lbs of it. But I feel better and I LOVE that the anxiety is gone. Oh how I hated it! It would even bubble up in my sleep and wake me up and keep me up.

I can't say everything is perfect (mostly my sleep because I just don't go to bed early enough). But most of the other symptoms have let up.

Like I said before, the liver is huge in breaking down excess estrogen. And if things are sluggish because of diet or lack of exercise, then the excess estrogen can't be cleared from the body often.

I hope it works for you ladies who give it a try. It's cheap and you can prolong your life by trying to get rid of peri symptoms.

dreamcatcher11 10-13-2012 04:43 PM

Although it's true that the liver breaks down estrogen, I don't think that this would cause anxiety. In fact: "If the female hormone estrogen is not broken down efficiently, this can lead to excessive levels of estrogen in the body. Excess estrogen can cause breast pain and lumpiness, heavy painful menstrual bleeding and weight gain around the hips, buttocks and thighs."

Also, I have never heard that getting rid of menopausal symptoms prolongs life. Menopause is not a disease. It is a natural process that is different for every woman.

CherylLynn24 10-13-2012 06:22 PM

[QUOTE=dreamcatcher11;5071798]Also, I have never heard that getting rid of menopausal symptoms prolongs life. Menopause is not a disease. It is a natural process that is different for every woman.[/QUOTE]

I think her point was that life can be prolonged through exercise, as well as quality of life. Studies confirm this. Google is your friend. :)

irisrose 10-13-2012 08:29 PM

[QUOTE=CherylLynn24;5071838]I think her point was that life can be prolonged through exercise, as well as quality of life. Studies confirm this. Google is your friend. :)[/QUOTE]

That's what I meant. Exercise helps prolong your life and if you get some good by-product like less perimeno symptoms - Great!

And estrogen can cause anxiety. Progesterone is the calming hormone that counters the more energetic hormone estrogen. So when there is too much estrogen and not enough progesterone to balance it, that's when estrogen dominance happens. A lot of perimeno women complain of anxiety and it's the unopposed estrogen that can cause it. I tried balancing it with progesterone cream and it did help somewhat. But I think the exercise is yielding even better results, for me anyway, than the RX progesterone cream. Cheaper too!

dextermom 10-16-2012 10:49 AM

Thank you for an inspiring post. I think I'm going to try to follow your lead and see if I can get rid of some of these horrible symptoms! No, menopause may not be a disease, but it sure feels like one on days. Thanks again!