It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
(female)

jbry HB User
Smile Heart palpitations & hormones

I was reading quite a few posts regarding the connection between heart palpitations and hormones from women who are perimenopausal, menopausal or post-menopausal which I am.
I am totally convinced that heart palpitations (skipping beats, irregular beats and arrythmias) are hormone related. My first experience with palpitations came when I was 40 years old, very scary but they seemed to diminish for several years and then they came back with a fury at around the age of fifty. I want to note that my first hot flash also came when I was forty - this is the hormone connection. I to, along with many women over the course of many years of experiencing arrythmia's and skipped or erratic heartbeats sought help through physicians because I thouht something very serious was wrong with my heart. I saw my Dr., a cardiologist and a naturopathic physician. I had full testing of my heart function with stress tests and cardiograms etc.. The bottom line, I was told was that these experiences I was having was within normal limits and that my heart was in very good condition. Not to worry, I was told, just calm down about it. I must be experiencing anxiety. The only anxiety I was having was because my heart beat was all over the place, that would make anyone anxious. I was also told that heart palpitations were a sign of not enough magnesium by my naturopath, so I started supplementing with mg. daily, on top of my muti-vitamin. I tried CoQ10, fish oil, flax seed oil, black cohosh etc., etc. Sometimes I was symptom free, sometimes not. Up and down, just like our hormones. I practice yoga daily and have for over 10 years. I started meditating last year. I eat heathy, organic foods. The palpitations remain when they feel like coming, no matter what. I'm a naturalist so any remedy I have tried is a natural based product or an herbal remedy and some of these things have helped greatly but mostly it's the realization that these disturbing heart rhythms are directly connected to our hormone levels at any given time, it is just not studied enough or acknowledged enough by the medical community. I do want to say that I started using the product i-cool approximately 2 weeks ago and have not had an incident of any palpitations since, although it's early. I decided to try it for my increasing hot-flashes and night sweats. Those are completely gone, I'm chilly in fact for the first time in years. My vaginal dryness is replaced with more moisture. This is HORMONE FREE, and works like a bio-identical hormone that is not a hormone but is taken from the soy bean but is also soy free, since the effects of soy long term are yet to be determined. I would not take a hormone replacement because I am obviously very hormone sensitive. I am not advertising for "i-cool", I am just pleasantly surprised. I also like a lot of herbal supplements I have used for balancing women's hormones like "meno-balance" but I feel the body needs to rest from herbs and then resume again later. Their is hope ladies, just trust your instincts and don't let the doctors get you on anything you're not sure about or put you on antianxiety drugs because they don't know what else to do.

Last edited by jbry; 10-14-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: spelling

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbry For This Useful Post:
LadySue62 (10-16-2012), Red Polka Dots (10-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
(female)

LadySue62 HB User
Re: Heart palpitations & hormones

Thanks for the info, jbry. I, too, have heart palpitations but attributed it to the increased anxiety I've had over another health condition (LPR). Between trying to sleep on a wedge pillow for the LPR and night sweats that seem to come hourly, I have been getting very little sleep lately and it's really taking it's toll on me. I'm going to check out i-Cool as I really need relief. Thanks again. -LS

Old 10-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #3
(female)

Red Polka Dots HB UserRed Polka Dots HB User
Re: Heart palpitations & hormones

jbry,
Could you explain a little more about your heart rhythms? I have skipped beats and a very strong and elevated heart rate after eating mostly. I also have what I would call a run of chaotic beats that lasts for around 10 seconds. Do you have these episodes? I'm perimenopausal and so far this is a huge struggle.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
(female)

jbry HB User
Smile Re: Heart palpitations & hormones

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySue62 View Post
Thanks for the info, jbry. I, too, have heart palpitations but attributed it to the increased anxiety I've had over another health condition (LPR). Between trying to sleep on a wedge pillow for the LPR and night sweats that seem to come hourly, I have been getting very little sleep lately and it's really taking it's toll on me. I'm going to check out i-Cool as I really need relief. Thanks again. -LS
LadySue, I hope the i-cool helps, just stick with it for a few weeks to see if you notice a difference. The first thing I noticed was hot-flash relief and no more palpitations. Go ahead and do your own research on the product as it is new to me too and I'm hoping it' safe to use long term because I'm a safety first, type of person. Good Luck!!

Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
(female)

jbry HB User
Smile Re: Heart palpitations & hormones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Polka Dots View Post
jbry,
Could you explain a little more about your heart rhythms? I have skipped beats and a very strong and elevated heart rate after eating mostly. I also have what I would call a run of chaotic beats that lasts for around 10 seconds. Do you have these episodes? I'm perimenopausal and so far this is a huge struggle.
Hi, I hope you're doing well. For me, it started with a kind of thumping, erratic rhythm, skipping beats. At times my heart rate was fast, then as the years went on it become like arrythmias, that was short fast beating, like a struggle of the heart to right itself that would take your breath away. Not fun at all, I know. After having my heart checked out and I knew I wasn't in any danger I started using menopausal support hormones. Hawthorn and motherwort in particular are 2 heart herbs (you can google them). Another quick fix (per my naturopathic physician) is to bear down on your chest muscle as if your having a BM to set the rhythm right immediately. For me, I know this is hormonal because it goes away with the right remedies and sooo many other women experience this. Please continue to research and remember you're personal power. Fear makes the situation worse. And know you're not alone. jbry

The Following User Says Thank You to jbry For This Useful Post:
Red Polka Dots (10-19-2012)
Closed Thread