It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
(female)

cathyzc HB Usercathyzc HB User
perimenopause

Hi i wonder if anyone can help me.I think im going through the perimenopause.Im shaking all the time,dont like been left in the house on my own,i feel like my legs are going to give way.Ive been on blood pressure tablets(atenolol) for 6 years and my doctor wont listen so ive just swapped doctors and hes trying to get me off these tablets which are beta blockers he tried me on an anxiety tablet called sertraline but i have only took them for 2 days and i have stopped taking them.Today i have had 2 hot flushes like just my body went cold then from my neck up i went really hot for a couple of minutes like i was going to pass out then it stopped then i had another then that was it.I really shake and start panicking especially if i have to go anywhere is anyone else going through this please

The following user gives a hug of support to cathyzc:
Peyjad (10-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
(female)

dizziedame HB User
Re: perimenopause

I was just looking over posts here to see what everyone's symptoms are during perimenopause, I've also been reading a lot about it as well. I think anxiety seems to be a pretty big part of it from what I've heard from friends and from reading different posts, also I'm experiencing anxiety myself. The hot flashes that you've mentioned just started with me this past couple of weeks, what I've read describes how they start and end. As I'm sitting here, I'm stopping to roll up my sleeves and turn the neck of my sweater down, and then the next moment I'm rolling the collar back up again and my sleeves back down because I'm cold, it's highly annoying but this must be what they've been describing, it's very annoying. It seems I've been to the doctor for a lot of different things lately, the latest being my reflux symptoms seem worse. It seems with the hormone changes we experience, that we come up with a whole host of different problems, some of us have different things, but the long and short of it is, they aren't kidding when they call it "the change". If you google all the symptoms of perimenopause it will tell you exactly what some women experience, so I guess the best we can do is keep in touch with each other on this board for one, and do some deep breathing and try to relax the best we can, easier said then done. I'm not fully into menopause myself and am on no medication yet, but I'm sure it won't be the first or last time that I'm at the doctor with some complaint. I've been dizzie (hence my nic name), have had balance problems, heart palpations, headaches, you name it, but all seem to come and go so far with nothing notorious behind them. I wish doctor's, especially male doctors would be a bit more sympathetic when dealing with perimenopausal women, I guess here in Canada, they are over booked and don't seem to have the time, a shame. I'm no doctor, but I think when you have all these symptoms it makes you panic a bit and the symptoms seem so much worse, having said that, I've done the same thing, however, I'm learning not to. Maybe you may need something for the anxiety, maybe I will to at some point, I don't know. This seems to be a great site for sharing experiences, could be that you might rest easier reading what others are going through, at least we'll know that we're not alone. There have been times I've while shopping at the grocery store that I've felt as though I might pass out and that seems to have tapered off a bit now. I'd suggest that you keep voicing your concerns about your health to your doctor and have everything checked that you can, and if all comes back clear then likely it's all due to hormonal changes. Best of luck and keep in touch.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2012, 03:04 AM   #3
(female)

Hi thanks for replying.Yesterday my husband had to go out and my son had to stay in with me i was shaking that much.Im going back to see the doctor even a trip to the doctors makes me panic it is horrible my quality of live has gone cant even go to the supermarket but i seem to have a problem with my circulation as well my feet keep burning and go red and purple then my legs throb my new doctors says this is my blood pressure tablets as they are beta blockers but i need to be weaned off them im thinking of buying a menopausal home testing kit as most doctors are reluctant to test you.At least if i get one and do it at home i can take it to them and say here you are ive tested myself.My periods have always been every 28 days all my life now they are every 24 days i dont really suffer from stomach ache just hot and cold and shaking and trouble with the bottom of my back oh and feeling like im going to get my period about 2 weeks before i do,once again thanks for talking

dizziedame (10-20-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
(female)

dizziedame HB User

Oh I'm sorry you're having such a bad time all the way around. I hope you can get things straightened around soon. You mentioned that your periods changed to every 24 days now, that's exactly what happened to mine, and they will keep changing and eventually it will be a longer time in between, plus they may get heavier to. Interesting that you can test at home for menopause, and strange that doctors won't do it, that's terrible. Anyway, I hope you can find relief for your symptoms so that you don't feel so anxious, it's not a nice way to get through your days. Let me know how you're doing if you want.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
(female)

Peyjad HB User

Hi Cathy! my symptoms are mostly the same as yours. I used to have I guess panic attacks when I would go grocery shopping a couple of years ago. I also can relate to not wanting to leave the house as I went through that too. Just last week I visited my gynecologist and she says it definitely sounds like perimenopause. I am restarting an AD (since that helped a couple of years ago) since mild anxiety is returning and I don't want it to get to the scale it was before. My periods too went from 28 to mostly 24 and now a 30 day is thrown in for good measure just to keep me on my toes. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!! I wish I would've connected all this when it started 3 years ago but am glad that I found this site so I don't feel so alone anymore, especially since no one I know talks about it. I hope you can get relief soon for your symptoms! I find if I can talk about it, the better I feel so if you need to chat, just let me know!

Last edited by Administrator; 12-16-2012 at 01:35 AM.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #6
(female)

Hi it does help when someone else sounds the same.I havnt really left the house for 2 years im always shaky and scared im going to pass out my doctor was horrible,ive been on blood pressure tablets(atenolol there beta blockers|) for 6 years.I have finally swopped doctors and there trying to wean me off them they have lowered my dose from 50mg to 25mg.They have done loads of blood tests on me and everything like thyroid and diabetics ok,but i have noticed if i do have to go somewhere it is worse when my period is due i really get in a state just want my life back thanks for listening

Old 11-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
(female)

Hi is everyone still ok im due to have my period tommorow and all my shaky and funny feelings are here i have pain where i think is my ovaries and the bottom of my back is killing.My arms keep going numb this is a new one to me oh this is joyful isnt it

Old 11-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
(female)

Peyjad HB User

Hi Cathy

I'm sorry you are not feeling so well, but do hope you feel better since you posted this. I do get the occasional lower back ache but a nice bath or a heating pad really seems to help me. I also get the ovary pain but that happens to me when I am ovulating. I don't experience the numbness so I can't speak for that but I do hope you feel by now. Have you thought about a pinched nerve, maybe, for the numbness? I have never had that but hear pinched nerves can cause that, among other symptoms.

Maybe someone else will offer more advice, sorry I can't be of more help but I do hope you feel better soon!

Old 11-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
(female)

Hodg48 HB UserHodg48 HB User

I feel for you Cathy and I've been where you are. When perimenopause hit me, I was so shakey and weak, I was afraid to leave the house too. I also had numbness, but it was in my feet and my whole body ached from muscle tension. All of these symptoms were from anxiety from fluctuating hormones. All new to me, but real nonetheless. I finally have some relief from a combination of antidepressants that work for me. I didn't realize that antidepressants work for anxiety, but if you get the right one, they can help. Being afraid to leave the house and shaking most of the day is no way to live. Been there. T

The following user gives a hug of support to Hodg48:
cathyzc (11-16-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #10
(female)

Hi thanks for the advice,im going to the doctors this morning im proper shaking waiting to go my husband is brilliant he cant do enough to help me.Im going to see the practice nurse instead of the doctor im hoping she will have some awnsers and be a bit ubderstanding its hard really it is.Im due to have my period today so the shaking is even worse im hoping they will let me have an hormone test done to find out and then take it from there i will let you know how i get on

Hodg48 (11-06-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #11
(female)

Hi hows eveyone doing are you still the same.Since ive last posted on here my doctor has taken me off the betablockers(17 days ago) ive had some bad days with palpatations and funny pains in my chest but people on here say the same.Im due to have my period today or tommorow,and i woke up this morning ed hot(im normally cold) i was having palpatations and shaking and for 2 days my legs have been hurting i think its this menopause,well i hope it is.Ive noticed for the last 2 months as well i have all dry skin on my face that ive never had it comes about 3 days before my period.Some of the things i could cope with but most of them ae driving me mad

Old 02-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
(female)

tcalix01 HB User

I apologize in advance for such a long post, but I've been dealing with things and so happy to have found this board, I wish I had found it earlier, but I really had no idea what was wrong with me; from googling things I've begun to think I've started perimenopause. Almost 3 years ago, I felt dizzy twice in one day - never had this happen before. Went to the ER, scared me, they didn't find anything wrong; suggested is was a sinus issue, basically from that it was discovered I'm allergic to all green things that grow outside and a handful of inside things too - started allergy shots.

Around this time I started feeling lightheaded - woozy, not like I'm going to be dizzy but close to it. Hard to concentrate when I get like that - now this could be from allergies, but the shots didn't help with that so I still wonder. Months later I developed palpitations, and they put me on a BP med. I went to a cardiologist who found nothing wrong with me so that made me feel better. I also started noticing I would feel jittery/nervous for no reason - would just start feeling it during the day and would last for weeks then go away like nothing. In the last few years I've skipped a couple periods but they now seem to be around 36 - 38 days apart and around this time I get extremely tired, very irritable, yell at family members over stupid things, crave carbs, slight cramps; sometimes my periods last 5 days sometimes 7. I'll also have a slight depression, not where I feel like I can't do anything just like I don't care, an indifference to things I guess you could say. And of course I cry very easily during this time. I think I've noticed that my palpitations are now around my period as well which makes me think hormones.

Almost forgot this one, over the past year or so my libido has gone down, which is not at all how I used to be; my husband is not thrilled with this but he's trying to be understanding.

I sometimes feel what I guess is bit of anxiety, I'll just have a strange feeling come over me that makes me feel uneasy, and there's no one thing that causes it - I could be shopping, or crafting or watching tv.

I started googling all these things and perimenopause came up, I had no idea. I went to my obgyn to discuss it with her, she for some reason didn't think my symptoms were peri, but did say it could be hormone related. I don't have hot flashes which she seems to think is the one symptom I should have for it to be peri.

I'm 42, will be 43 later this year; my mom started menopause around 45 and was done by time she was 48 - she did say a few years prior to that she had palps, which may have been her peri stage - so I feel I could be too at my age, my obgyn still didn't think I was. She did bloodwork but said it may not show anything and of course it came back normal.

She said I could have anxiety - of course not knowing what is wrong would make anyone feel anxious. Went to my regular doc this past week and we reviewed the blood work, he said he thought I was depressed and wanted to put me on antidepressants, I am not depressed; so was not too happy with him - he didn't listen at all to what I was saying.

So I've decided to just continue trying to eat better and go to the gym, I'm so tired of going to doc's and not have them listen to what I'm saying. Frustrating, don't know if I should try another obgyn or if I will be wasting my time again.

The one thing that's annoying lately is the jittery feeling I get, I hadn't had it for a month or so and forgot about it but it's been back off and on for a month now and I don't like it at all. Comes and goes throughout the day. That and the lightheadedness, which may or may not be somehow related to my allergies.

Any suggestions helpful, thanks for taking the time to read such a long post

Old 02-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
(female)

jojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB User

tcaxil. i am 50, i started peri at 42. had every symptom in the book except hot flashes and night sweats, didn't get them t'ill i was 48 years old. sounds like menopause to me. my doctor had to do blood work 3 times before it came back showing an imbalance. it all depends where your hormones are when she draws the blood or takes the saliva. good luck to you.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #14
(female)

3sillykidsnadog HB User

I'm 43 and this sounds like me! My doctor wasn't sure at first about perimenopause becasue I don't have the hot flashes in the day like some and other than my period getting lighter it's still regular. Over the past couple years it was very heavy with bad cramps. Things for me started changing in Sept 2012. My doctor has been wonderfull in helping me figure this out. It's a slow process. I've had thyroid tested, heart monitored and both come back "normal". After many visits to the doctors I now know I have anxiety, asthma and he believes it may be hormone related. I have Mertazapine for the anxiety and it has helped with my sleep too. The one thing that still worries me is this crazy shaking I get with the rapid heart beat! I feel super cold and start to shake. It's really only at night. This could be a serious side effect of the anxiety med but because it is a rare side effect my doctor thinks it IS hormones. You should do yourself a BIG favor and NEVER Google your symptoms! It really only makes you feel worse.

Closed Thread