It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
(female)

dreamcatcher11 HB Userdreamcatcher11 HB Userdreamcatcher11 HB User
Heart palpitations, dizziness, anxiety

I am 41 and on HRT since July. Overall, I do think I have been feeling better this month and last week I actually felt pretty normal for 5 days in a row!! I got my hopes up (again) but this week I am having heart palpitations, dizziness and anxiety (again). Yesterday at work, I thought I was gonna have a panic attack (again). So I took the day off today to rest.

I guess I have a few main questions:

1) Why? Why am I having these severe menopause symptoms? Am I doing something wrong? Is there something wrong with me? Why do some women fly through this while others, like me, suffer horribly? Does this have something to do with my lifestyle, my personality, or is it just luck of the draw?

2) Are heart palpitations dangerous? Does it mean I have a weak heart? Does is mean I am a greater risk of having a heart attack now or in the future? Should I be worried? Should I cut out anything strenuous or stressful?

3) What can I do about these symptoms beside 'wait and see'? (I am in Japan right now and apparently there are no other estrogen options for me.) Has anyone tried any herbal supplements that helped these symptoms? Does anyone know what kinds of cyclical HRT are currently available in Canada?

4) How long do these symptoms usually last? Is it gonna get better in the next few months or am I gonna have to somehow struggle with this hellish roller coaster ride for the next few years?

5) Also, does anyone else feel a sense of shame or embarrassment? Does anyone feel like other people think you are faking it or weak or just plain crazy? With so many 'invisible' symptoms, does anyone really believe you?There seems to be such a stigma attached to menopause...

I am trying to enjoy the good days I have as much as possible but I am feeling more and more hopeless and discouraged. I don't want to waste any more time. I am only 41 and I am tired of living like I am dying.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
(female)

Red Polka Dots HB UserRed Polka Dots HB User
Re: Heart palpitations, dizziness, anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcatcher11 View Post
I am 41 and on HRT since July. Overall, I do think I have been feeling better this month and last week I actually felt pretty normal for 5 days in a row!! I got my hopes up (again) but this week I am having heart palpitations, dizziness and anxiety (again). Yesterday at work, I thought I was gonna have a panic attack (again). So I took the day off today to rest.

I guess I have a few main questions:

1) Why? Why am I having these severe menopause symptoms? Am I doing something wrong? Is there something wrong with me? Why do some women fly through this while others, like me, suffer horribly? Does this have something to do with my lifestyle, my personality, or is it just luck of the draw?

You're not doing anything wrong, I suffer horribly too and so do many other ladies so you are not alone. I can't tell you why some women sail through this phase in life while others feel like they're going to hell and back

2) Are heart palpitations dangerous? Does it mean I have a weak heart? Does is mean I am a greater risk of having a heart attack now or in the future? Should I be worried? Should I cut out anything strenuous or stressful?

Heart palpitations are very common in perimenopause, it doesn't mean you have a weak heart or at greater risk of having a heart attack but it's wise to get it checked out (and I'm not suggesting this is anything serious) just a precaution and to help put your mind at ease. Take magnesium, it's very good for heart palpitations. Continue with exercise but try to avoid stress - easier said than done

3) What can I do about these symptoms beside 'wait and see'? (I am in Japan right now and apparently there are no other estrogen options for me.) Has anyone tried any herbal supplements that helped these symptoms? Does anyone know what kinds of cyclical HRT are currently available in Canada?

Are you still having regular periods? Usually at the start of perimenopause it's the lack of progesterone that tends to cause problems. I think you can buy progesterone cream on line, like Serenity. I would get your hormones checked first before taking anything like that but I'm not sure if blood tests for hormone levels are reliable because hormones can fluctuate rapidly and sometimes from minute to minute.

4) How long do these symptoms usually last? Is it gonna get better in the next few months or am I gonna have to somehow struggle with this hellish roller coaster ride for the next few years?

My symptoms have lasted for several years but that's not to say that yours will because every woman is different.

5) Also, does anyone else feel a sense of shame or embarrassment? Does anyone feel like other people think you are faking it or weak or just plain crazy? With so many 'invisible' symptoms, does anyone really believe you?There seems to be such a stigma attached to menopause...

There is always stigma attached to menopause - It can be very lonely to struggle alone so try to seek out other women on-line or in your real world if you can to share the burden.

I am trying to enjoy the good days I have as much as possible but I am feeling more and more hopeless and discouraged. I don't want to waste any more time. I am only 41 and I am tired of living like I am dying.

Enjoy the good days and be kind to yourself on the bad days. Rest as much as possible if you can. Perimenopause is hard, it drains you, it sucks the marrow out of you at times, but I'm sure you will find something to help ease your symptoms and the best thing of all is knowing that other women out there are rooting for you and ready to listen xx

The following user gives a hug of support to Red Polka Dots:
dreamcatcher11 (11-13-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Polka Dots For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I know Activella and FemHRT are available in Canada. I've been on both but am currently on Activella. Heart palpitations are normal in peri and menopause and are usually benign. Trying coughing when you have one - a hard cough - and they should straighten out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
(female)

gogo548 HB Usergogo548 HB User

Hello Dreamcatcher,

I could have written the exact same post, except, I'm 48.

I felt pretty good about 2 weeks ago (at least as far as the anxiety/palpitations).

I spotted for a few days, but no real AF.

Now here I am back again with the palpitations. I've slowly started calendaring the symptoms to track for a pattern. So far, my guess is it's due to a drop in estrogen.

This time around I'm having a killer headache as well. ugh

I went through the whole echocardiogram/EKG stuff and nothing abnormal was found. It helped put my mind at ease, but still, I feel the same way you do - especially when I see a TV commercial for fibrillation drugs!!

Anyway, what I wanted to suggest, since you are in Japan and don't feel you have as many options - was to suggest acupuncture. (I realize it originates in China, but I'm thinking it's pretty popular in Japan??)

I've been thinking about acupuncture. I underwent it for a year while I was trying to get pregnant. It definitely helped. However, the acupuncturist (female) I love is 35 miles away!! ;(

I'm not feeling well at all today, so I can relate. I felt like I was going to hyperventilate in my workout class this morning. Hey, but at least I went. Hopefully, that will help me sleep well tonight.

And yes, this makes me feel crazy. Not to mention the weight gain. I feel like DH doesn't believe how the hormones/lack of hormones are effecting me. Also, when I went to the doc re palpitations, I NEVER got an answer - even when I (embarrassingly) told him I thought I was menopausal. I was at my gyno and mentioned the heart palpitations - she confirmed "some" women have them. Also, I had a blood test which confirmed I was peri-menopausal. That confirmed, at least for me, that this wasn't all in my head!! ;O

Sorry I'm not making much sense, but my brain is mush right now. Again, check out acupuncture. My acupuncturist also gave me herbs (including a gross tea I had to make), but in the end, it was successful and I felt great. I did not have a headache for a WHOLE year.

gogo

The following user gives a hug of support to gogo548:
The Following User Says Thank You to gogo548 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
(female)

dreamcatcher11 HB Userdreamcatcher11 HB Userdreamcatcher11 HB User

Red Polka Dots: Thanks so much for your reply and advice. It is good to know that I am not alone and there are people out there who can relate to what I'm going through. I am taking calcium (about 500mg) and magnesium (about 300mg) supplements daily but maybe I need to take a little more. I hope that your symptoms come to an end very soon.

Titchou: Thank you very much for tip. I am currently taking Premarin, .625x2 twice a day, so I'm not sure if the ones you mentioned will be strong enough but I plan to return to Canada soon so hoping there will be some kind of HRT that works better than what I'm currently taking.

gogo: Thanks for all the support. I, too, am keeping a record of my symptoms and looking for any patterns. And yes, the symptoms do seem to get worse around my period when estrogen is low. I hadn't thought of acupuncture but at this point I am willing to try just about anything! Certainly many regular doctors don't seem to be of much use. I'm pretty sure I know more about menopause than my gynecologist!

Closed Thread