It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
(female)

denise1966 HB User
Menopause and Contraception

I'm 46 and have been on the pill for the past 22 years. FSH Tests have been over 45 for the past two years and I'm gearing up for another one after I go off the pill in two weeks.

Doctor is planning to move me to HRT instead of BCP and has indicated that my chances of conceiving are next to zero. She doesn't seem to feel the need for me to worry about contraception.

However, I just got remarried and my new husband and I do NOT plan to have any children (my sons are both grown). Husband is not excited about the thought of condoms (neither am I), but I'm not sure what other options to look at. Obviously, with HRT, I would only be looking at non-hormonal options. Diaphragn sounds like a hassle, IUD is expensive and seems silly at this stage of life. Sterilization is out of the question.

Has anyone else had concerns about contraception at this stage of life? With FSH levels at what our lab defines as "post menopause" do I still need to worry? Obviously I won't be able to confirm that periods have stopped until I am off the pill.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Menopause and Contraception

If you are on HRT you won't be able to get pregnant any more than on bcp. It's the same thing. You just take it every day - or at least the ones I've been on are every day. Even if you go on one where there are placebo pills, it's the same as birth control. I'm not sure why you think you could get pregnant on HRT. If your FSH is at 45, I'm willing to bet you'll not have any periods if you are med free. but with HRT, you are just as protected.

Last edited by Titchou; 11-14-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
contraception, fsh, menopause