It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
How do you tell ?

How does one know the difference between peri and meno onset, or if something else going on gyno wise ?

This is all fairly new to me, I've had regular periods all my life. These symptoms with my whacko periods are new. Although looking back I've definetely had the horrible other symptoms for about a year.

I just had this hormone blood test + thyroid which was normal. But if our hormones fluctuate daily, how can that ever be accurate ?

Is there anything else i can have done to make sure there is nothing else going on? Or do us women have to go along with assumptions it IS the start of the change for us?

Old 11-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: How do you tell ?

You are considered menopausal when you have not have a period for 12 consecutive months. Up till that point, it would be peri. For the FSH test for your hormones, it would need to be taken as close to the day before you are to begin your period as possible. That's the time when it's closest to accurate. It's sometimes hard to know that though.

If you are having symptoms which seem to be peri and are 40 or over, I'd say ask for birth control pills to help even out the symptoms. It worked great for me to change mine. Eventually, I was skipping periods even on the pill so we switched to HRT and have been on it for about 8 years or so and all is great. My gyno calls them my happy pills.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread