It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
(female)

lalaflorida HB User
Red face Perimenopause - Heart Palps - And The Beat Goes On!

Hi Folks,

I am new to this forum! I have a couple of questions regarding heart palps and was wondering if anyone who are suffering could please give me some insight!

I started getting these heart palpatations about 6 months ago. It feels like my heart is skipping a beat. It started out having it a couple days and now it has been constant for the past week. The first attack happed for about an hourwhile at the grocery store and I tried to stay calm but felt like I had tunnel vision and just wanted to get the heck out of there because my legs became like jelly.

I am 46 years old and believe I might be starting.......dah dah dum...perimenopause. I just started my monthly menstrual cycle today and the palps are still there. The past several months, although they are almost regular but my flow has become lighter. Also, I do become emotional and cry at the drop of the hat. Sometimes I do get edgy that I could feel as to choke annoying people until they turn every color of a mood ring! (I am joking of course!) No, seriously, my husband says instead of sufferig from PMS I suffer from PMA (Pretty Much Always)!

I did go to the doctor when it was happening and he brushed it off as anxiety. He did order some bloodwork which I have yet to get because I do have a stressful job working in a law firm. I asked him if he could do an EKG while I was there but he said he will "take it one step at a time" by doing blood work first. I do no have insurance at this time because I just started a new job and cannot afford thousands of dollars in testing.

I had anxiety attacks in the past but for some reason this feels different. With the anxiety attacks my heart feels as though it is going to pound out of my chest. This is more of a skipping beat and I do not totally freak out it just feels kinda scary wondering if you heart is going to pick up again! I do not have any other symptoms like dizziness, do not have chest pains and thank God, I haven't hit the floor pastsed out cold from them.

Any help would be of great appreciation. I truly feel for those of you who are suffering from this. I wonder if this is perimenopause, how much longer is this going to last? 10 years? YIKES!

Best Regards,

The following user gives a hug of support to lalaflorida:
gogo548 (01-07-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
(female)

gogo548 HB Usergogo548 HB User
Re: Perimenopause - Heart Palps - And The Beat Goes On!

Hi and welcome to the board! I am not here too often, but, just like you I'm having heart flutters. Thought I'd pop in to see if anyone else had any advice. ;( Mine have been coming and going for months now. Albeit, they have calmed down A LOT! But, I get them every single night now. I'm also having them during the day too lately. I notice them more when I'm relaxed (isn't that ironic?). I read that we may notice them more when our pulse is slower/relaxed.

I have had some luck with taking extra magnesium. If you google it you can find a lot of info. I'm planning on reading the Magnesium Miracle.

I've gotten the same kind of response from my doctor. I went through the whole rigamarole of getting EKG, stress echocardiogram, & a holtor monitor. fun fun fun NOT! But, it does put my mind at ease knowing they didn't find anything.

My OBGYN did CONFIRM that some women have this symptom. YAY! (I think! - well, it was just reassuring.)

Anyway, I feel your concern. I'm sitting here having flutters!!! It freaks me out to think I may be an AFIB patient in the future. I'm wondering if they EVER go away/STOP?

What you describe sounds just like what I'm experiencing. My OBGYN did a blood test and confirmed perimenopause (I'm 48).

Maybe someone else can offer us some more guidance. I try to keep calm about it most of the time, but, after almost six months of this, you gotta wonder. sigh

Hugs,
gogo

Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
(female)

lalaflorida HB User

Gogo,

Thanks so much for responding! I guess we are not alone!

I have been taking magnesium and unfortunately it hasnt helped. I have been taking it for a couple months at least.

Are you on any blood pressure meds? I forgot to mention that I do take Atenolol. I used to be on 25 mg. Then my old doctor actually reduced the dosage to 1/2 a tablet because my bp and pulse were great. He thought eventually get off of them (this type of med you have to ween off). Then I started to get the palps long after my dosage was lowered. I was in the process of moving so I was unable to see my doc about the then occassional paps. Now that I moved to a new city, my palps were driving me crazy so I went to the doc. He did up my dose to 50 mg! Did absolute squat for the palps and been on this dosage for a month. The only thing it did do was make my bp low. Sometimes 70/60!

If this is perimenopause I wonder how much longer we have to go through this crud? I know I am 46 and not 26 but my mind refuses to believe it.....lol.

I am a fairly happy go lucky type person. But gheeza louiza I feel my emotions run wild here and there. It is funny how my husband can say one thing one day and I will laugh and say the same thing a differnent day and I want to scream my head off! Last week my boss really got on my last nerve and even though I am smiling on the outside, I wanted to staple him to the wall....lol (I am only joking of course, I am not that crazy just yet!)

Hang in there! I hope your palps go away just as suddenly as they seem to come on.

Maybe some other women out there can give us some advice since we are newbies at this.

Hugs your way

Old 01-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

I hate heart palps! I went through 2 bouts of them one year apart. The first time was horrendous. They began one day and continued to get worse with each passing week.

I went to urgent care and the did an EKG and everything was fine. Then one evening they were so bad. I had my husband listen to my chest and he came away from my chest with a look of shock and fear on his face. So I went to the ER because by that time they had been going on for almost 2 weeks straight. I thought I'd be quite negligent if I keeled over dead when I had 2 weeks worth of warning.

After sitting in the ER hooked up to a heart monitor for 3 HOURS! I was told I had benign PVCs which are what heart palpitations are. Nothing they could give me, nothing I could do. They gave me some xanex to see if that would calm them down. It really didn't. I tried all of the remedies I could find online. Nothing stopped them.

I would say both times they lasted for about 3 months, slowly decreasing in intensity and frequency till they were gone. I did finally see a hormone doctor. She said that what happens is your body will finally adjust to the new hormone level (a drop in one or increase in another). Then when your body finally adapts to the new levels, the heart palps will stop.

My first heart palps were when I was 47 almost 48. Then I got them again at 49 for a couple of months, though not as bad as the first round. I'm 50 now and I get them once in awhile. They are light and almost unnoticeable. Nothing like the times before. They were so constant and so strong they actually made my chest ache from tensing up and I felt oxygen hungry, probably because of the stress they caused me.

Hang in there. They are uncomfortable but they won't kill you. Eventually your body will adapt to your change in hormone levels and they'll go away.

Last edited by irisrose; 01-08-2013 at 06:33 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to irisrose For This Useful Post:
lalaflorida (01-09-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
(female)

teacher67 HB User
Smile Re: Perimenopause - Heart Palps - And The Beat Goes On!

Hi,

I too get the heart palpitations. I am 45 and the first time, I thought I was having a heart attack and went to the ER. Everything normal and I passed the stress test. Now I have them off and on and my doctor says that it is most likely a perimenopause symptom. She also said that my blood pressure medicine should be helping with them. They are weird and like you said a little on the scary side. But for me, just knowing others feel the symptoms I have been having makes me feel a lot better!

I have gone over the list of perimenopause symptoms and think I have experienced almost all of them at one time or another this past year. It sucks but I guess it is something we all go through!

Welcome to the board and I hope that it helps you feel a little more at ease as it has done for me!

The Following User Says Thank You to teacher67 For This Useful Post:
lalaflorida (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 03:58 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You might try a hard cough when this happens. It will usually right itself. Always works on mine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
lalaflorida (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
(female)

lalaflorida HB User

Thank you all for all your advice. It makes me feel better knowing that I am not alone! I am new to all this and just going through the WTHeck is going on with my body stage. I still haven't been certifiably diagnosed with perimenopause but after doing this research and reading about the symptoms, I guess I have to surrender....lol. It is just the heart palps that scare the daylights out of me sometimes and get so tired of them happening everyday now.

I mentioned in my initial post, I did go to the doctor and he did order bloodwork. The palps were happening when I was at the visit. I still am a little ticked that he didn't to an EKG when I was there because I do work and wanted to at least kill 2 birds with one stone while I was at the visit. The only thing he did do was tell me to up my bp meds (Atenolol) to 50 mg. I was only on 25 mg. My bp was fine and so was my pulse. I have been taking it for a month now and unfortunately, it has done nothing for the palps. I have been taking magnesium, multi-vitamins, etc. but still no help.

Titchon - You mentioned something about coughing. It is weird because I feel like (excuse the manners) but I feel like if I belch a little it helps. I even mentioned this to the doc and he looked at me like I just flown in from Mars...lol

Iris and Teacher - That is great information that you gave regarding your body eventually adjusting to the hormones. That does make sense. I just hope I can speed up the process...lol

I know this is a long journey and even in my mind I can't believe that I am 46 years old but my hormones seem to differ!

Many thanks and hugs to you all!

Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
(female)

Leegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB UserLeegh HB User

Heart palpations are totally normal in perimenopause. I read some of the other posts regarding magnesium and I agree that taking magnesium is a good thing, but there are different types of magnesium and some types of magnesium can magnify anxiety/depression for folks. I can't remember which ones are not good, but I do know that magnesium glycinate is a good one. In addition, many people in perimenopause have extreme sensitivity to noise.

The Following User Says Thank You to Leegh For This Useful Post:
lalaflorida (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

You will never officially be diagnosed with perimenopause. There is no test and many doctors still think it's all in our heads or stress

Coughing never worked for me. It did with the run of the mill heart palps I used to get occasionally. But these relentless, strong ones I was having all day everyday for months, coughing did nothing. Belching did seem to make me feel better too but they would never stop. You have a vegas nerve that runs parallel to your esophogus and goes to the stomach. I think the flopping of the heart being so close to that nerve as well causes the urge to want to burp. My GP prescribed blood pressure meds to see if it would stop the heart palps. It didn't stop them.

I mentioned I went to a hormone doctor. She prescribed progesterone for me and that didn't even make them go away. Only time and my body's own adjustment to whatever was happening in my body made them go away.

You might have some estrogen dominance and that could be what's causing the heart palps. I read that you can do things to help your liver more efficiently break down the excess estrogen. Eating a salad with dandelion greens is supposed to help the liver better clear the excess. Might be something to consider. I started exercising more vigorously. I began biking about 20miles per day at least 4 times per week. I noticed the biggest improvement when I started that. Exercise will of course cause your body to function better and that in turn will help it respond better to the constant fluctuation of hormones we are subjected to in our late mid-late 40s.

I'm sure your blood work will come back fine. If you have an EKG I'm sure it will be fine. You could probably have all of the heart tests I had (twice) and everything came back fine. Just like so many of us. Do push for more tests if you are concerned because the stress won't help them go away. But I'll bet dollars to donuts your heart is fine and healthy.

The Following User Says Thank You to irisrose For This Useful Post:
lalaflorida (01-10-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 02:37 AM   #10
(female)

cathyzc HB Usercathyzc HB User

Hi lalaflorida.i havnt been in here for a bit.Your symptoms sounded just like me heart palpatations wobly jelly legs feels like there gonna give way any minute.I have swopped doctors cos mine wasnt helping me my legs are terrible its worse when i have to go out anywhere,then you hit the nail on the head ATENOLOL thats just what ive been on for 6 years my new doctors have weaned me off them ive been off them now 7 weeks they made my life unbearable, im 45 and think im going through perimenopause ive had an hormone test and it cam eback inconcklusive which the doctor said it could but he will believe me.These palpatations are far worse when im due to have my period and around my 14th day my legs are so painful but i have been doing nothing for nearly 2 years now, ive suffered from not daring to go out and becoming very panicy so im trying to get my legs working again

The following user gives a hug of support to cathyzc:
lalaflorida (01-10-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #11
(female)

lalaflorida HB User

Iris,

You information has been truly insightful! I will get some dandelion greens. At this point, it can't hurt! I think my husband realizes now that estrogen dominance trumps testosterone!.....lol.

I used to exercise. However, lately, not so much. I am an active person just not as active as I used to be. However, am somewhat apprehensive to exercise with the heart palps wondering if they might make them worse.

Thank you for making me feel better and knowing I not alone!

Hugs!

Old 01-10-2013, 06:58 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Actually, I think the exercise has helped keep mine away. The way I know is I haven't really exercises the whole month of December. I was really busy, the holidays then bad weather started sticking around more consistently, so I haven't been able to get out to ride my bike. I did buy a spin bike for home and it just arrived this week but my husband hasn't brought it in the house and put it up for me yet

Anyway, in the past 2 weeks I have been noticing heart palpitations where I had none at all for months. These aren't bad and because I know what they are and that they aren't dangerous, I just ignore them. I know I'd get really mad and frustrated if they started up and flopped around all day and night for days on end again.

I'm not working now so exercising like I do is a bit easier. If I was working, I don't know that I would be doing it as long or as consistently as I have been. It's hard to fit something in that you don't necessarily find exciting and fun - and I don't really consider exercising to fall into either category. I have stuck with it because I know how much better it has made the peri symptoms. My hair has stopped thinning, I don't even know when my period is coming except for following my schedule on the calendar because I don't feel it coming (no breast tenderness, no real mood swings, no cramping), even the dark hairs on my chin stopped growing back so fast. So I know exercise is helping my body level out it's hormones naturally. That's why I've vowed to stick with it this time.

Last edited by irisrose; 01-10-2013 at 07:00 AM.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #13
(female)

lalaflorida HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyzc View Post
Hi lalaflorida.i havnt been in here for a bit.Your symptoms sounded just like me heart palpatations wobly jelly legs feels like there gonna give way any minute.I have swopped doctors cos mine wasn't helping me my legs are terrible its worse when i have to go out anywhere,then you hit the nail on the head ATENOLOL thats just what ive been on for 6 years my new doctors have weaned me off them ive been off them now 7 weeks they made my life unbearable, im 45 and think im going through perimenopause ive had an hormone test and it came back inconcklusive which the doctor said it could but he will believe me.These palpatations are far worse when im due to have my period and around my 14th day my legs are so painful but i have been doing nothing for nearly 2 years now, ive suffered from not daring to go out and becoming very panicy so im trying to get my legs working again
Cathy,

I am so sorry to hear how you are suffering. I know it can be debilitating. I wish there were some magic dust out there to make them all the pain go away!

I can relate somewhat. I started having anxiety attacks at the ripe old age of 21. There wasn't much said about anxiety back then and now it seems like everyone has it to some degree. I, like you, did not want to go out because I felt like I was sure as to pass out cold while driving or in the middle of a grocery store. Even though I did go to work every day, it did affect my social life. Nobody knew how I was suffering inside. Everybody considered ma a social butterfly and had no idea what I was going through. I finally learned to live with them and they come and go through the years. However, I can honestly say I haven't had the heart racing anxiety so much anymore but that it is now replaced with the skipping beat heart palps.

It is funny that you mention Atenolol. I have been on them for approximately 6 years now. My blood pressure has been fine and my old doctor was actually weening me off of them (I was on 12.5 mg). I didn't start getting the paps until the end of the summer and was on the 12.5 mg for at least 6 months.

I recently relocated and went to a new doctor because of the palps and he ordered bloodwork and up'd my Atenolol. He put me on 50 mg! As I said before, it did nothing for my palps and I have been taking them for a month. I decided to lower my dose back to 25 mg. since it the 50 wasn't doing squat.

Why did your doctor stop your Atenolol if you don't mind me asking? Also, do you think maybe you are having symptoms from withdraw? I know you cannot stop taking Atenolol abrubtly because it can lead to some pretty hefty side effects.

My thoughts are with you through this tough time. May you feel better soon.

~Hugs~

Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
(female)

lalaflorida HB User

That stinks that your palps came back. I hope they go away soon!

I know it is hard to find time to work out. Especially when you work. I work as a family law paralegal in a law firm and the work is needless to say, STRESSFUL. I have been doing this type of work for over 20 years now and I feel sometimes that I need to get out of this line of work. I guess the older you get the less you can tolerate. This type of law is far from sunshine and rainbows!

You know, it is really funny you mentioned not having the pms symptoms. Normally, my breasts get so sore for about 2 weeks prior. This time, I had no breast tenderness whatsoever. I did, however, have excruciating back pain 2days before my period started that actually woke me out of a sleep. I, like you, mark down when my cycle is to begin. This time it came 24 days apart. I haven't totally skip a period yet. They just are about 5 to 6 days off schedule and they length has decreased.

I really should start back to working out. I could use some toning up! I agree, I do not enjoy it either! (blah). I have been blessed (thanks to my Mom) with a high metabolism so I am not overweight. I do however, have a torn meniscus and some cartilage floating around in my left knee which is another issue. I have to schedule surgery at some point (which of course I have been putting off). So I cannot do the total workout I did before because I am afraid I might throw out my knee. Gosh, I sound like a flippin hypochondriac!....LOL All I can say is that it truly stinks getting old.

I will just keep pushing on like I normally do and hope for the best. Amazingly, (knock on wood) my heart palps have been non-existent so far today. I just ended my monthly cycle (which only lasts about 2 days now). I just hate to think that this rigamarole is going to start all over again. UGH!

Again, you are truly such a help and a joy to talk to!

Thanks again!

Old 01-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
(female)

greeneyez 1966 HB User

hello , your not alone i along with many other on here have been going thru the same thing i get anxiety and heart palps all the time and it seems worse during my cycle i started this whole process last summer and i havent had a good nites sleep since then i am always tired and have too drag myself too work in the beginning it was so bad i had too take a medical leave i went into a depression and my blood pressure got so high i made my symptoms worse i was in the er twice i was convinced i had some serious disease . i googled the symptoms of perimenopause and i think i had 20 out of the 35 . i get stomache issues and muscle pain its aweful and im always on edge this changed my life drastically and noone knows for sure how long it will last they say 10 years . i just wish my drs were more supportive they blow me off and tell me too deal with it ... i shouldnt have too deal with it its there job too help me thru this or at least steer me in the right direction .

Closed Thread

Tags
heart beating abnormally, heart palpations, menopause symptoms, perimenopause, skipped beats