It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
(female)

dania39 HB User
Sleep deprivation due to night sweats

52 yrs old, menopausal for over a year...haven't had a solid night's sleep in almost two years. Night sweats horrific - I've tried all the home remedies - gave up alcohol a year ago, no caffiene after 4pm, cold house, etc etc etc...I fall asleep great (after all, I'm exhausted all day long)...after 4-5 hours (never longer), I awaken sweating profusely followed by chills. this goes on for the remainder of the night, every 20 minutes or so, til my alarm goes off. I have tried all the OTC meds, black cohosh, soy, etc etc...
no relief.
I am severely sleep deprived and can't take much more of this.
Would like some input on prescribed meds, be they bio-identical hrt or patches, pills, etc.
I am a moderated smoker, about 1/3 pack per day.
Looking for some realistic advice - thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to dania39:
prairiecats (03-23-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Sleep deprivation due to night sweats

I can only relate my experience. It started with peri. Had about 2/3 of the symptoms normally listed. Changed my birth control pills and in two weeks EVERY symptom was gone - including the night sweats. Switched to HRT when the time came (first FemHRT and then Activella due to insurance changes) and have been fine on that too. I am about to be 67 in 2 weeks and have been on HRT for 10 ten years. I highly recommend it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
dania39 (01-18-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
(female)

greeneyez 1966 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I can only relate my experience. It started with peri. Had about 2/3 of the symptoms normally listed. Changed my birth control pills and in two weeks EVERY symptom was gone - including the night sweats. Switched to HRT when the time came (first FemHRT and then Activella due to insurance changes) and have been fine on that too. I am about to be 67 in 2 weeks and have been on HRT for 10 ten years. I highly recommend it.
i wish my doctors would give the hrt drugs it seems like both my family dr and gyno are blowing it off when i mentioned menopause they basically said i had too tough it out i shouldnt have too tough it out the gyno should be there too help me and he didnt and my family dr is clueless i have my good days and bad days i hate the heart palps and anxiety dont know what too do =(

The following user gives a hug of support to greeneyez 1966:
dania39 (01-18-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

See a female gyno. I do and they understand better what you are going thru. You are menopausal and should be offered HRT. Can't believe they haven't.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
(female)

greeneyez 1966 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
See a female gyno. I do and they understand better what you are going thru. You are menopausal and should be offered HRT. Can't believe they haven't.
... i tried too get a female gyno and they were all booked 6 mos in advance this male gyno i went too is suppose too specialize in menopause but he did nothing for me i told him about my anxiety and not sleeping and he said well your already on zoloft theres nothing else i can do you gotta ride it out

Old 01-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Well, yeah, if you are already on the zoloft. Did you ask for HRT and say you'd get off the Zoloft?

Old 01-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

I had trouble sleeping but not because of night sweats. I did get them occasionally but not to the extent that they were what was causing my sleep problems.

I just couldn't sleep for longer than 4-5 hrs. Or I would wake every single hour. I'd fall back to sleep but would wake up every hour on the hour.

I paid out of pocket to see a bio-identical hormone doctor. My long time (male) gyno offered me nothing except birth control pills. My new female gyno understood better what I was experiencing but came from the school of thought that bio-identical hormones were more placebo than anything. Although, she seemed fine with the big pharma manufactured Prometrium progesterone capsule Big pharmaceutical = good; naturally derived progesterone = placebo.

So I bit the bullet and paid to see a specialized hormone dr. She prescribed me progesterone cream. I would say that helped with me getting better quality sleep and even though I never had nightly night sweats, the night sweats I did have were gone. I still never slept like I did before all of this hit, but at least what sleep I got was better and I didn't wake up every single hour.

I quit the progesterone cream when I began exercising more. When I introduced that into my daily routine and stayed more consistent, I found that I felt better on my own. I'm not in menopause yet so am trying to make my body level out my hormones on it's own for as long as I can before I might be forced to go on hormone replacement.

Last edited by irisrose; 01-13-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
(female)

greeneyez 1966 HB User

he wont gives me the hrt drugs because i have high blood pressure he said it would be too dangerous .=(

Old 01-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
(female)

s cubed HB User

Have you tried acupuncture for the night sweats? I go through stages where the night sweats are unbearable and acupunture has helped every time. It's not a cure al since your hormones are always changing, but I have found that I can go sometimes as long as six months without any night sweats. I usually go from 4-10 sessions. I admit its not cheap but it does work. The last time I went I went for night sweats (heat) and hormones. I felt like a new woman and slept through the night . Good luck to you

Old 01-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
(female)

greeneyez 1966 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by s cubed View Post
Have you tried acupuncture for the night sweats? I go through stages where the night sweats are unbearable and acupunture has helped every time. It's not a cure al since your hormones are always changing, but I have found that I can go sometimes as long as six months without any night sweats. I usually go from 4-10 sessions. I admit its not cheap but it does work. The last time I went I went for night sweats (heat) and hormones. I felt like a new woman and slept through the night . Good luck to you
....id rather put up with the night sweats then have someone stick pins in me thanks for the info but ill have to pass on that my like it would take care of one problem and cause another .

Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
(female)

jojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB User
Wink Re: Sleep deprivation due to night sweats

hi ladiea. Just to say I started taking black cohosh 3 months ago, it works great for hot flashes and night sweats.

Last edited by jojopooh; 01-31-2013 at 04:55 PM.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
(female)

3sillykidsnadog HB User

I've recently read that flax can help with night sweats and hot flashes. 2 -3 tablespoons per day. I bought ground organic flax from Costco. It's not bad. I add it to oatmeal and yogurt. I don't have hot flashes but my sister-in-law does. She's starting to use flax but not sure how long it would take to see results. It's good for you so won't hurt to try!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
(female)

mommyfix HB User

Irisrose, I too have the same problem with sleep deprivation not caused by night sweats. I haven't had any hot flashes for about 3 months now, but my sleep is seriously fractured. It doesn't help with hubby on one side and the cat on the other close enough that I can't move, lol. I have always been a light sleeper as well, so noise is a factor too. Pile on anxiety and waking up several times a night and exhaustion is setting in. Can't wait for the weekends so I can attempt to sleep in.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

When I was having the most trouble with it my husband slept in the guest room for a few weeks. Every move, snort, heavy breathing, alarm clock only added to my horrible sleep. Which was nice of him to do. But my getting up and down or tossing wasn't allowing him to sleep soundly either.

My sleep is better but the quality is all tied to my cycle. There are at least 2 times out of the month where my sleep gets light and fractured. The rest of the time I do ok now. But for awhile there is was miserable.

I sure hope the actual menopause is better than this perimenopause has been.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #15
(female)

prairiecats HB User
Unhappy Re: Sleep deprivation due to night sweats

Hey there,
Talk to your doc and ask if you may try clonidine 0.1mg 1x/day. Bedtime is best. All my flashes went away and life was good again! Then they took it away! It is really an old blood pressure med (catapres) but is off label for menopause symptoms. Do not worry if u do not have elevated BP, it is a very small dose and you will take it at bedtime in case it makes u sleepy. It was a miracle for me. Hope this helps. Also, some try Effexor the anti depressant. Good luck. I have been suffering from the flashes and no sleep for 3 years now.

Last edited by prairiecats; 03-23-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Closed Thread