It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
(female)

beachcrafts HB User
Perimenopausal and digestive problems

I started having digestive problems around the time I became menopausal. At the time didn't put it together and had all the tests, for H Pylori (it felt like that), upper GI, colonoscopy, bloodwork, extended GI past dueodenum and biopsy, all normal. so they said I had IBS because they couldn't figure it out.

I couldn't eat and felt nauseous all the time. I made fermented cabbage juice and drank that for 10 days and could only eat small amounts of salad mainly lettuce. And took pepto bismal in the morning just to be able to get anything down. After about 2 weeks the worst of it seemed to subside. but have continued to always be able to "feel" my stomach and digestion.

That was 1 1/2 years ago. 2 weeks ago it began again really bad. This time I sip Kefir (liquid yogurt)drink Stomach Ease tea (really helps the most) and can only eat salad again and clear broth soups. Also mint moddled with lemon and honey mixed with water. I can't drink any dairy only carnation milk in the can doesn't bother me.

I'm writing it all down as I thnk this will just be something I have to deal with as my estrogen levels continue to drop over the coming years. I don't take hormones and won't. I do take Prozac for 5 days right when I'm about to get my period, it just levels out my crazy thinking and emotions and help me sleep. I also take Xanax at night like a sleeping pill. It's the only thing that works for me.

I know how awful this feels and just wanted to offer what is working for me because I know some of us are looking for anything that will work because the DR's don't seem to know anything about it and just pass you off to another one and they pass you off to the next one.

Last edited by beachcrafts; 01-17-2013 at 06:32 AM. Reason: added more comments

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Perimenopausal and digestive problems

Have you had an ultrasound for your gallbladder or a HIDA scan? Nausea is often the only symptom of a bad gallbladder.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
(female)

beachcrafts HB User
Re: Perimenopausal and digestive problems

Yes I had an abdominal ultrasound and it was fine. They did find a small narrowing of small intenstine right where it turns and did the extended GI past by duodenum and took a biopsy and it was all normal.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
(female)

red65 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Perimenopausal and digestive problems

What you are describing sounds exactly like gastroparesis which is a condition that basically brings your stomach motility to a screeching halt and food doesn't move through like it is supposed to so basically the food just sits there and rots for lack of a better term.

It is diagnosed by doing a gastric emptying study. During the study you eat food with radioactive particles mixed in it and then you lay under a camera for 60 minutes while the camera takes pictures to see how much of the food is moving through (or not!)

Gastroparesis is not always constant (although I spent 9 hellish months living off of Phenergan and towards the end of it I dropped 30lbs because I simply refused to try to eat.) In many people though it goes through cycles and there are certain diets you can follow when you are flaring.

It is typically treated with Reglan which stimulates the stomach to move the food through better. I have also seen it treated with erythromycin. It is very common in Type 2 diabetics.

Do a search on here and see if it doesn't give you some answers. I hope so anyway!

Take care!

Last edited by red65; 01-17-2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: added more information

Closed Thread